Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Default Vegetarian food on board Sea Princess

I'm just back from my first ever cruise, sailing on the Sea Princess to the Med. I really enjoyed and had a great time, however there was one downside to the hliday - the issue of vegetarian food in both the restaurants and also at the buffet.

Are there any other vegetarians out there who have found this problem? There was a severe lack of knowledge and understanding of a vegetarian diet, to the point that one of the head waiters said to my wife: "it's not my fault that you have a silly vegetarian diet." We found this to be incredibly insulting. There was no labelling of which dishes were vegetarian in the buffet, to the point that I spent 25 minutes one lunch-time waiting for a response from a chef as to which deserts at the buffet did not contain gelatine. They were unaware onboard that gelatine and parmesan cheese are not suitable for vegetarians.

This was upsetting to the point that I would certainy never travel on a Princess ship again, and would advise anyone else to think twice about travelling with them, as it upset both me and my wife on our honeymoon.
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Admiral

this is not typical. Unfortunately you got a bad waiter. Did you inform your senior waiter on your wait team that you were a vegetarian? If so, he should have been able to tell you which items on the menu were vegetarian and what they contained, and if he did not know, he should have asked the head waiter. We have had great service and have had no problems with any kind of special requests. The only way you could know what was in any of the buffet items would be to seek out the head chef.
I don't know if you informed special services in advance of your request for a vegetarian diet. IF not make sure that your TA does that for your next cruise. Don't let this experience stop you from cruising Princess again.
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

this is not typical. Unfortunately you got a bad waiter. Did you inform your senior waiter on your wait team that you were a vegetarian? If so, he should have been able to tell you which items on the menu were vegetarian and what they contained, and if he did not know, he should have asked the head waiter. We have had great service and have had no problems with any kind of special requests. The only way you could know what was in any of the buffet items would be to seek out the head chef.
I don't know if you informed special services in advance of your request for a vegetarian diet. IF not make sure that your TA does that for your next cruise. Don't let this experience stop you from cruising Princess again.

I didn't bother to respond because this looks like the typical "drive-by shooting" post that we see way too often on these boards -- somebody who has not posted here before suddenly joining and venting over some supposedly eggregious foul-up that's totally uncharacteristic of the line. In this case, the original poster's status shows just four (4) posts as of this writing. The poster may respond to replies, but then usually disappears into the ether from whence (s)he came. I often wonder whether such posters are disgruntled former employees of the line that the seek to sabotage or employees of another line who are trying to sabotage the competition. Of course, we'll never know because any individual who is so morally bankrupt as to resort to such low tactics is not about to 'fess up....

Norm.
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Lisa,

[i]In this case, the original poster's status shows just four (4) posts as of this writing. The poster may respond to replies, but then usually disappears into the ether from whence (s)he came. I often wonder whether such posters are disgruntled former employees of the line that the seek to sabotage or employees of another line who are trying to sabotage the competition. Of course, we'll never know because any individual who is so morally bankrupt as to resort to such low tactics is not about to 'fess up....

Norm.
Norm,

I'm very sorry if I've upset your reading of this forum. I always thought that people posting their experiences on board the ship was what this forum is for, but I was obviously wrong. Just because I haven't been on 76 cruises in my 25 years of life does not mean I'm not allowed to post. I've just been on my first cruise, and have had a bad experience - I'm sorry if you don't want to read my posts. In future, I won't post until I've posted 50 times on this board.

Lisa,

We did inform everyone possible. In the week before the cruise, my wife phoned Princess head office to double check that we were marked down as vegetarian. We were told that we were, which, to be fair to Princess, was correct. When I was in the buffet and wanted to find out about which desserts were suitable for vegetarians I did ask the head waiter, who then went into the kitchen and spent 25 minutes looking for someone who knew. In my experience of restaurants in England, and I'm lead to believe that this is true of places in the USA, waiters are very good at knowing exactly what is vegetarian and what each dish contains. As I wrote in my original post, a lot of this could be rectified by just putting a (v) symbol by each dish which is suitable for vegetarians, as this would save a lot of effort down the line and certainly avoid any embarassment.

I wonder if they'd have been quicker to tell me what dishes contained if I'd said I was allergic to any meat or fish product, as with a nut allergy?
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Admiral

jmnathan -we have had a lot of "trolls" and spammers on these boards as of late, so we tend to be a bit leary of first time posts that slam a cruise. That's all nothing personal
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

jmnathan,

I'm very sorry if I've upset your reading of this forum. I always thought that people posting their experiences on board the ship was what this forum is for, but I was obviously wrong. Just because I haven't been on 76 cruises in my 25 years of life does not mean I'm not allowed to post. I've just been on my first cruise, and have had a bad experience - I'm sorry if you don't want to read my posts. In future, I won't post until I've posted 50 times on this board.

No, you did not upset me at all -- and you are quite right as to the purpose of this forum. Your post just fit into a pattern that, as LisaK points out, we have seen WAY too often lately. Some of the posts that fit this pattern undoubtedly are legitimate, but I would bet good money, if there were some way to be certain of the truth, that the percentage is very small.

The real test will be what happens when this thread reaches its end. If you stick around and become a member of the community, the initial post in this thread will gain considerable credibility. If you vanish, like many others who show up trashing a cruise ship or a line, we'll remain forever very suspicious of the post.

Norm.
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
jmnathan,

The real test will be what happens when this thread reaches its end. If you stick around and become a member of the community, the initial post in this thread will gain considerable credibility. Norm.
From the staff here at CruiseMates welcome jmnathan.
By registering you became a member of this community no matter what another comments.

I found your post enlightening, and in my opinion the wait staff on Princess requires more training in the areas of specialty foods by passengers.