Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Golden Princess going to Antarctica - BAD IDEA!

Big debate about the Princess going to Antartica. Basically her hull isn't strong enough to withstand thick ice that she will encounter. Personally? I would not risk it. I use to work for a cruise company that handled Antartica cruise tours, but they were on Russian icebreakers that were built to pound through the ice. This ice would slice through the hull of the Princess & now you have a TITANIC of a disasterous proportions on your hands - there is no Coast Guard rescues nor any nearby cruiseships.

Don’t risk Antarctic cruise ship disaster
September 15, 2006
NELSON -- The Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition has asked the United States to seek environmental evaluation of a proposed visit by a giant cruise ship to Antarctica.

Forest & Bird, which is a coalition member, has concerns that the visit by the Golden Princess this summer could end in disaster.

At 109,000 tonnes, the Golden Princess would be by far the largest tourist vessel to ever visit Antarctica.

It can carry 3700 people – the largest number of people to ever visit Antarctica in a single vessel, and more than the total peak population of all 37 stations in Antarctica put together. If the vessel got into trouble, rescue of that many people from Antarctic waters would be virtually impossible.

Forest & Bird Antarctic spokesperson Debs Martin says the six days the Golden Princess plans to spend in Antarctic waters includes vulnerable environments with high ecological values, where hydrographic charting is patchy. The Golden Princess is not believed to be ice strengthened.

“The visit by the Golden Princess appears to be inviting misadventure, both in terms of the potential for loss of human life and severe environmental damage on a huge scale if anything goes wrong,? Debs Martin says.

“Tragically, New Zealanders know from our experience of the Erebus disaster the cost in terms of human life that can occur in Antarctica. We would urge the United States to think very carefully about the potential for another disaster.?

The coalition has asked the United States to require a Comprehensive Environmental Evaluation from the California-based cruise company Princess Cruises before the visit goes ahead.

Such evaluations can be sought if a proposal involves potential impact that will be more than minor or transitory, and would allow other Antarctic Treaty nations including New Zealand to have their say.

Royal Forest And Bird Protection Society

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks!

I have over $12M invested in the Old CM Penguins cruise on 2.24.07.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Wait a minute ... Royal Forest And Bird Protection Society ?

I think these folks have another agenda.

Julie Benson, a spokesman for California-based Princess Cruises, said passengers aboard the 210-metre Golden Princess would "absolutely not" be exposed to any risk. The ship was fully equipped for the journey, she said.

"Princess maintains the highest safety standards for all our ships, wherever they may be deployed around the world."

She also denied that the liner would pose any danger to the environment.

The Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition, an environmental lobby group, warns that "there is essentially no constraint on where you can go, what you can do, and how many of you can do it … mass commercial tourism has now arrived in the Antarctic".

She sails on jan 22 from Rio, so lets see how she does in the ice.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I find it very hard to believe that ANY cruise line would knowingly put a ship into an area where it was going to be in any kind of jeopardy.

Now, in the post, is is said "They don't believe it is ice worthy (0r some such)" obviously this is said with no fact.
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,

Big debate about the Princess going to Antartica. Basically her hull isn't strong enough to withstand thick ice that she will encounter. Personally? I would not risk it. I use to work for a cruise company that handled Antartica cruise tours, but they were on Russian icebreakers that were built to pound through the ice. This ice would slice through the hull of the Princess & now you have a TITANIC of a disasterous proportions on your hands - there is no Coast Guard rescues nor any nearby cruiseships.

You are giving way too much credibility to people who have no connection whatsoever with the ship's architects, builders, owners, or operators, and thus have very limited knowledge of the ship herself. New cruise ships are built with triple hulls and extensive compartmentalization below decks, which RMS Titanic lacked, so it would be nearly impossible for an iceberg to put the ship in any real danger even if it ruptures the outer hull.

The environmental concerns have some legitimacy, but Princess has already announed approprate policies to ensure that passengers don't go ashore in concentrations that would endanger either flora or fauna, thus addressing the issue satisfactorily.

Norm.
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Old September 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yeoman

This is all news to me, but I am concerned simply because I am not convinced that today's liners are built for that environment. Carib, yes, Med, yes. cross the Atlantic, yes.

Going into the Antartic..no cant be sure as a fee paying passenger unless they are only going there when the ice flow suits sea conditions.

As for references to Titanic, well that’s just a laugh. Okay design was different then, but her steel was up to three times thicker than what you get on a modern vessels today, unless it's built for purpose for these environments.

However, my biggest worry is that some places should remain as wilderness. And this "itinerary" is just one line trying to get ahead of the rest by offering "something different". And I don’t think they have taken all into account when placing such a large "presence" into an area that should not have it.

The world is not a Theme Park
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
My biggest worry is that some places should remain as wilderness. And this "itinerary" is just one line trying to get ahead of the rest by offering "something different". And I don’t think they have taken all into account when placing such a large "presence" into an area that should not have it.

The world is not a Theme Park
What do you think about Alaskan cruises?

Old September 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

You know that’s a different environment, on many counts. Alaska is not Antarctica.

The cruises or routes that take people into Alaska do not touch or go near places of real scientific or natural interest. The USA Gov made sure of that, and well done to them, you just get a "taste of" Alaska

With Antarctica, different story, since no one really owns it…..WHO has written the rules...a cruise line?
Old September 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Admiral

The cruise might say "Antarctica", but you don't get very close or even on the ice.

http://www.princess.com/find/largema...Buenos%20Aires