Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Default Belize. To do & Not to do?

We don't snorkel, swim or do tubing.

What advice for this island can you suggest for us todo.
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Are you golfers? There's an incredible golf course just off the coast of Belize. Cay Chapel Resort. The ship's often run golf excursions to it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default tour in Belize

My daughter and I had a great time on the baboon sanctuary tour. We had a very interesting guide whose grandmother was healer in her village and taught her granddaughter how to use all the plants medicinally. After the tour, there is a little building where they encourage you to have lunch - do so! There is no menu really - fish or chicken - and they serve it grilled with rice, beans, vegetables -- very good!! It was $5.

The guide who took us out there drove us in his old cadillac and rattled on about the local area - very personable even if you couldn't understand half of it with the thick accent

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
First Mate

If you're not afraid of heights (or maybe even if you are), you could try the zipline excursion thru the rainforest canopy. We plan on doing both that and the cave tubing when we go in March.
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

we just came back from Belize. We had every intention to do the cave tubing and zipline but by the time we got out there it was so hot. We thought we were going to burst into flames. I couldn't breathe it was so hot. I bought bottle water and straw hat to cool off. i couldn't focus on the plans we had made. I couldn't go on with the tour. Maybe next time.

Old October 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Belize last December and did a river boat ride excursion with a visit to Altun Ha Mayan ruins. It was probably one of the best excursions I've ever done because of the diversity. We saw alligators, monkeys and iguanas on the river and climbed the ruins. By the way, Belize is not an island; it's a country in Central America. The locals speak English.
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

sandytoesrose is correct. Belize is a country, formerly (back when I was in school ) it was British Honduras. The official language is English.

The cave tubing is very popular! We're not interested in ruins, but those excursions are also very popular.

Have a wonderful time in Belize!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Familiar Face

We did the river tour to the Myan Ruins. This was wonderful if you like fast boat rides and walking in and around the old ruins. I'm not much for long walks but I really enjoyed this excursion.

headusher
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Beginner

Belize is part of the Central American mainland and was also part of the area inhabited by the pre-Columbus Mayan civilization. There might be some ruins tours available, assuming it's not too hot when you get to Belize City.
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

It was so scary in belize. There was an area outside the gate where the locals selling tours. you didn't know who to trust. All of them looked as if they were shady. I didn't trust them. The best thing is to arrange for tours with the ship. Or you can deal with those inside the gate. I didn't enjoy it very much.

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Beginner

We went to Belize in April and went on the River Wallace boat trip then boarded a bus that took us to the Mayan Ruins.

I've only been on two cruises thus far, but Belize was by far my favorite and it was because of this excursion and the tour guides. They were wonderful!! On the boat ride, we saw dolphins, manitees, crocs, monkeys, iguanas, sea otters and more!! When we got off the boat and before we boarded the bus for the ruins, we got off at the bank of the river and there were local people selling there wares and they were selling chicken and rice and Belikin Beer (Belize's own!). It was very primitive, but wonderful. The people were nice. The bus ride to the ruins was a bit longer than I had anticipated and the narrow road (pretty much one lane) makes for an exciting ride, but the ruins were very interesting also. I, personally, thought it was a very worthy excursion.
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Passenger

We did the Belize Zoo last year with a local tour guide (inside the gate) and it was a blast! We stopped at a small local bar near the tenders afterwards and listened to a local band while sipping a few Belican beers. Very relaxing. The drive to the zoo was interesting in itself just to see the way of life and to be able to ask our local guide questions.