Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Default U.S. to loosen airline security rules on liquids

WASHINGTON - The government is partially lifting its ban against carrying liquids and gels onto airliners, instituted after a plot to bomb jets flying into the United States was foiled, officials said Monday.

“We now know enough to say that a total ban is no longer needed from a security point of view,? said Kip Hawley, head of the Transportation Security Administration, at a news conference at Reagan National Airport.

He said that most liquids and gels that air travelers purchase in secure areas of airports will now be allowed on planes. He called the new procedures a “common sense? approach that would maintain a high level of security at airports but ease conditions for passengers.

That means that after passengers go through airport security checkpoints, they can purchase liquids at airport stores and take them onto their planes. The new procedures go into effect on Tuesday, Hawley said.

Tougher airport screening procedures were put in place in August after British police broke up a terrorist plot to assemble and detonate bombs using liquid explosives on airliners crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Britain to the U.S.

At the time, the Homeland Security Department briefly raised the threat level to “red,? the highest level, for flights bound to the United States from Britain. All other flights were at “orange? and will remain at orange, the second-highest level, for now.

New procedures also were announced for toiletries and products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, these products will be limited to 3-ounce sizes and must fit in a clear, 1-quart size plastic bag. The bags will be screened and returned if they are cleared.

“Obviously, there’s been a lot of unhappiness,? said Richard Marchi, senior adviser to the Airports Council International, an airport trade group. “They’re right to find a way to ease the burden and maintain a reasonable level of security.?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Yea! I'd read this earlier today, but I'm SO happy that I can bring my chapstick, my nasal spray (a MUST for me, with "ear" problems on flights), and the water bought after you go through security! I can easily get all my "stuff" in an one quart plastic bag!

Thanks for posting this info for all of us, Irish Shark!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Passenger

That's great news! Finally, some common sense!

Teach children that animals have feeings & should be treated with love and kindness.