Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Default First Time Cruisers

My husband and I are going on our first cruise (Grand Princess/Dec. 9th). I am SO excited. We are younger. I'm 25, he's 32. Any tips on anything. I have no idea what there is to do on board. I saw that there was a nightclub, and I LOVE to dance, but I wasn't sure what type of music they play.

Any info or tips would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,

Audrey
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Audrey,

My husband and I are going on our first cruise (Grand Princess/Dec. 9th). I am SO excited. We are younger. I'm 25, he's 32. Any tips on anything. I have no idea what there is to do on board. I saw that there was a nightclub, and I LOVE to dance, but I wasn't sure what type of music they play.

The biggest tip of all is to read the information package that your travel agent will deliver to you within a couple weeks of submission of your final payment very carefully and plan accordingly. If you do that, you'll have a very good idea what to expect onboad.

Skywalker's Disco plays a mix that's similar to most discos ashore. The better music for dancing is in the Wheelhouse Bar, which has combos that play live music from 5:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Unfortnately, the Wheelhouse Bar on that class of ships is a bit on the small side. When I was abaord, it was typically very crowded.

Princess usually has a diverse variety of daytime activiities -- everything from cooking and craft demonstrations and trivia contests to pool games, walk-a-mile, and fitness classes. There are also plenty of opportunities to leave your money behind, including Bingo! and art auctions. OTOH< you can just find a lounge and work on a tan or "chill out" around the pool, too. Don't miss afternoon tea, served in one of the main dining rooms. Also, Princess's wine tasting, usually held on the first day at sea, is a very good deal -- you pay $5 for the tasting but receive a credit of $5 if you order a bottle of wine at the tasting to have with dinner in the dining room. The wine that you order at the tasting can be any wine on the wine list, and does not have to be one of the wines sampled at the tasting.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Audrey,
You can get a lot of tips and information if you read through the "first time" cruisers section here at Cruisemates:

First Time cruisers

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Audrey - your best source of what is going on onboard is your "Princess Patters" newsletter which is delivered to your cabin everyday. It lists all the activites along with the entertainment options.
Skywalkers Disco doesn't really get jumping until after 11pm. The DJ on our cruise played alot of the techno-funk type music . Skywalkers does do theme nights(60's, 70's 80's etc). The main lounge for dancing and activites is Explorer's Lounge - there is a dance band, and this is where they do Karoke, Talent shows etc.
The Wheelhouse Bar is a great place if you want to relax with a drink, listen to some good music and dance.
Don't miss the Island Night Deck Party and the Midnight Champagne Waterfall.
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:57 AM
First Mate

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535395

Lots of good stuff in that thread.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rev wrote- Princess's wine tasting, usually held on the first day at sea, is a very good deal -- you pay $5 for the tasting but receive a credit of $5 if you order a bottle of wine at the tasting to have with dinner in the dining room. The wine that you order at the tasting can be any wine on the wine list, and does not have to be one of the wines sampled at the tasting.

I guess it has been a while since Rev has sailed with Princess. The wine tasting is now $9.50 and you do NOT get anything back if you buy a bottle of wine. They also have a tasting of much better wines for $25 per person.
Jim..