Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to tinymrf
Default Island Princess Coffee

We're cruising on the 21st of Oct to Hawaii and wonder about the coffee. I've read some pretty bad reviews and I wondered if anyone has cruised on the Island recently who could give us some insight. We have talked about bringing our own little 4-cuper for morning coffee. Any insight would be appreciated.

Any other tips you would like to pass along to make our cruise more enjoyable would be appreciated. Thanks.[/i]
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Things might have changed since we took her to Hawaii in 11.04. The coffee was made with "coffee starter". It was terrible.

Other than that the ship is beautiful and plenty of things to do on those sea days over and back.

The best excursion we took was horseback riding in Maui. Expensive, but worth it. On the other tours it got a little boring after a while. The islands started to look all the same to me. If you have not done it before, do the Pearl Harbor tour with the MO.

Also, if you are on the port side you can see the lava flows at night.

Service and food was great.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to tinymrf

Thanks for the info. I think we'll probably bring our own little coffee pot. Say, what about liquor on board - do they allow a bottle or two of wine or scotch?

Thanks for the info on the tours. We haven't scheduled any yet. We have looked at the brochure and talked about them but haven't committed to any yet. We did the Pearl Harbor Cruise back in '84 with the navy and that was great. We took a city bus to the harbor and got on the navy boats and actually were able to be on the memorial. Great time.

Thanks again. We're doing personal dining - did you? Any other info you think of that would help would be greatly appreciated. Entertainment. . . .any good?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

You are not allowed to bring bring Scotch onboard. Wine is OK. I still pack my stash in my check-in luggage and have no issues. I'll see how it goes in 02.07 on the Golden again.

On that cruise, we had a early seating. The next two cruises we did the personal dinging and that is the way to go.

The "Entertainment" on Princess is not that good. That is MHO. We did catch some shows, but the afternoon movie in the theater was better than the "Entertainment". :o

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Default Coffee

We are cruising on the Island in December. While I have not been on the new Island yet I do know Princess.
If you need coffe to get out of bed a coffee pot might be handy; Coffee is always available on the Horizon deck 24 hrs a day. You can order cofffe in your room at a set time the night before and there is usually a coffee bar in the atrium lobby most of the day and evening. There is sometimes a cappacino bar on one deck.

If you REALLY like coffee you might take along a travel mug to carry around with you. You can refill at any bar as well as the spots above.

Enjoy your cruise
Gil
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Beginner

We just got back from our alaskan cruise a couple of weeks ago. The coffee at the buffet is as everyone state, just a bad coffee. but you can have drip coffee, with room service every morning, which we did, or you can go to the specialty pastry bar and buy coffee there, or even buy it in the buffet . Room service is free, just a tip if you want to give it. This was our first cruise and tho we enjoyed it very much, I don't think we will go again, because of the smoking. We had requested a non smoking area , I am allergic to tobacco, but had a smoke right in the next cabin. I was limited on how much we could be out on the balcony. Also I had no idea, there would be few employees that we could actually understand. There English is somewhat limited. But I can honestly say they went out of there way to try and get everything you needed or wanted. We had the anytime dining, but only ate in the dining room once, on the first formal nite. The food in the buffet was basicly the same and you didn't have to bother to change and could try a little of everything. and it was all delicious. The shows we saw very good. one of the singers, was a grammy winner from Canada and had an wonderful show. Be sure to pack your own laundry detergent if you plan on doing laundry. none of the dispenser on any floor worked. They are working on the ship till May I believe so maybe that is one of the things they will fix.

\
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Default Island Princess Coffee

I was on the Island Princess in June/July of this year, I am a foodie, and here is what i found for the quality of coffee::

Horizon Court buffet coffee -- whatever it is, it's very poor! just poor...

Room service coffee - brewed coffee - just fine!

Dining room coffee -- also brewed coffee and was just fine.
Old October 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Passenger

I forgot to mention, we had coffee on our balcony each morning - from room service. Therefore, if we decided to go simple that morning and have breakfast at the Horizon court buffet -- we will have had our coffee already. this helped to bypass their so called "coffee".
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Passenger

We returned last night from the LA to Hawaii cruise and it was WONDERFUL! I drink coffee but I'm not a real coffee lover, however, my husband loves it. Our assessment: room service coffee is pretty good, Horizon Court's is not. I bypassed that by putting in a little hot water first and then added the coffee because it always seemed too strong without the extra hot water. Coffee at dinner was good as well. We never bought any coffee. Have fun on your cruise, you'll enjoy it!