Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Default Teens on 15 day Hawaii cruises

My family and I are looking at going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We were wondering if there were many teens on this cruise. If anyone reading this has been on this cruise and would know the answer, please write a relpy and let us know. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Admiral

nclcruiser54,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My family and I are looking at going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We were wondering if there were many teens on this cruise. If anyone reading this has been on this cruise and would know the answer, please write a relpy and let us know. Thank you!
That's one of those itineraries that may have a lot of teens on one sailing and very few on another.

A few years ago, I was astounded by the number of teens on a "Mexican Riviera" cruise in early November because most schools are in session at that time of year. In talking with some people onboard who were familiar with the situation, though, I learned that some school disctricts in sountern California had gone to split sessions, with the year divided into four quarters and students going to school two quarters and having one quarter off. Each school was essentially split in half, and the students and teachers from one half would go on vacation at the end of each quarter and return to the other half a quarter later when the group in the other half went on vacation. The result was that a third of the students in those schools were on their "summer" vacation at any time of year. If the cruise is operating from either San Diego or Los Angeles, it's very likely to draw a significant number of families from such school districts.

That said, I have also been on a few cruises that had "only" a dozen or so teens aboard -- and they actually had a fantastic time because they had a lot more attention from the teen counsellors and a free run of the teen facilities, which normally are divided among several groups of teens. In addition, they acted very maturely so the ship's staff conscioiusly decided not to enforce many of the "no teens" rules adopted to prevent teens from disrupting adult activities.

That said, I recommend checking the ship's schedule. MV Diamond Princess usually goes to Alaska from May until September, and thus would be cruising to Alaska rather than to Hawai'i in June.

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned fron the Island Princess to Hawaii. Very few kids at all - teens or younger. I would guess less than 20 altogether. It seemed like the few teens we saw were from the U.K. - not the U.S., but that may be because we sailed on 9/21 which was right after school started - and even here in So. Calif. with the split school years, I think almost all schools were in session.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Since we are planning on cruising in June of '08 and school is out, do you think that there would be more teens?
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

nclcruiser54,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Since we are planning on cruising in June of '08 and school is out, do you think that there would be more teens?
There are no guarantees, but it's certainly a lot more likely that there will be a lot of teens onboard when school is out.

Norm.