Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to tinymrf
Default Taking wine on board the Island Princess

We're leaving on the Island Princess for HI on Sat and wondered if anyone has taken a bottle or two of wine on board. Were there any problems? Did you take it in your carry-on or did you pack it. We like to have a glass or two of wine on the balcony in the evenings before dinner and it would be nice if we could supply our own at a more "affordable" price. :o)

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Pack the wine in your checked luggage. Make sure it is wrapped in bubble wrap or something similiar.

Enjoy it and your cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

unless you buy your wine at port before you board the ship, you are going to have to pack it in your checked baggage with the new airline restrictions.
If you buy it at port, Princess does allow you carry-on wine and champagne in reasonable quantities.
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Since he lives in AZ, I think he would be flying (no port there yet! ), that's why I said to pack it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. We'll be driving to Long Beach, CA and parking our car so we won't have the hassle of the airlines and flying. What we may want to do is packed a couple of bottles in our checked luggage and then bring one or two in our carryon and see how it goes.

You both have been very helpful.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Admiral

its totally up to you, but since Princess allows you bring aboard wine and champagne as a carry-on why risk breakage in your suitcase from rough baggage handlers, and why have to wait for your luggage to arrive at your stateroom to enjoy a glass of wine.
We have had no problem with each of us bringing a couple of bottles aboard
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Thanks. I hadn't thought about having to wait for our luggage to arrive to have a glass of wine. I did read in the brochure last night that we can bring a bottle of wine /champagne with us on board - one per passenger they say but I'm sure if we had 3 between us we'd be okay.

You have all been very helpful. It's not like we haven't cruised before; this will be #16 for us but it's been a long time since we've done Princess and we are finding out more and more how different the cruise lines are when it comes to alcohol.

Happy sailing to each of you. :o)
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took 6 bottles of wine on board the Island on the 9/21 cruise. Four bottles we carried on and two bottles were in our checked baggage, just for ease of handling. Had no problem with either situation. The bottles that were in our checked bag were wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a heavy duty freezer bag and placed between all our clothes so I had no fears of the bottles breaking. Everything worked out just fine. When our cabin steward came to introduce himeself to us, I explained that I had brought my own wine on board and asked him to just make sure we had fresh wineglasses daily. He was great - immediately brought us a tray of 8 glasses and when we got down to the last 2, he would bring another tray of 8 more. Enjoy your cruise - nothin more relaxing than enjoying that glass of wine sitting on your balcony watching the water go by!!!