Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Default Princess Excursions vs. booking own excursions

Help!
I've been on one cruise--Coral Princess to Alaska and loved it! I'm sailing on the Crown Princess in January 2007, but am torn between booking ship excursions and booking my own. I know that most excursions booked thru the ship are somewhat crowded, and thought I would go another route. My ports of call are Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Its really such a person decision, its all about your own comfort level.
St. Thomas you can do very easily on your own if you just want to hit the beach and do some shopping. If you want to do some amazing snorkeling and beaches in St. Thomas you should get over to St. John Island you can do it on your own or if you want a nice treat book the Champagne Catamaran tour that Princess offers. If you want beaches on St. Thomas proper i would recommend Sapphire. Meagan's Bay Beach is the most popular but there is no snorkeling there and i think its a tourist trap. Another fun thing to do in St. Thomas would be the Paradise Point Tramway, if you dock at Havensight the tram is a short walk. The view from up top is beautiful. There are shops,restaurants and gardens to explore.
St. Maarten - think about either of two ships excursions: The Golden Eagle Catamaran sail- we loved this excursion. You get to relax on a beautiful sailing catamaran, you sail over to a beautiful bay where you can swim, snorkel or just relax on the beach, the excursion provides food and drink. Its a great family excursion. The other excursion that i would recommend would be the America's Cup Regatta - you get to sail on an actual racing sailboat in a race, you can crew the boat or just relax and cheer your friends on. We did the morning excursion and then just wandered around town afterwards and did some shopping.
None of these excursions were at least bit overcrowed.
I can't help with the other islands. We do have a general rule that we try to follow - if we have to travel by water or for more that 2 hours by land to get to our excursion destination then we will book a ships tour.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Admiral

swtjen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Help!
I've been on one cruise--Coral Princess to Alaska and loved it! I'm sailing on the Crown Princess in January 2007, but am torn between booking ship excursions and booking my own. I know that most excursions booked thru the ship are somewhat crowded, and thought I would go another route. My ports of call are Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
Well, a given excursion will be just as crowded if you book it through the ship as if you book it on your own because you can be sure that the operator will fill the transport to its capacity to maximize profits. Also, Princess really does have one of the strongest shore excursion programs in the industry. You may save a few dollars by booking excursions on your own rather than through Princess, but here are a few points to consider.

>> 1. If you book an excursion on your own, you may have to pay in advance and you might forfeit the price if the ship cancels a scheduled port of call for any reason. If you book the excursion through the ship, the cruise line will protect you (that is, reimburse the amount) in such a situation.

>> 2. If a shore excursion is delayed returning to the pier, the ship will either wait for it or make alternate arrangements to bring the passengers back aboard. If you go on your own and get delayed after the time of scheduled sailing, you will have to pay for flights to the next port of call and for your own accommodations (the ship's port agent will gladly have these billed to your shipboard account, along with a service charge for doing so, if you don't have credit cards with a sufficient balancy available).

>> 3. The ship's shore excursions leave right from the pier where the ship docks. If you book excursions on your own, it's your responsibility to get between the pier and the place where the excursion begins and ends. this may require a taxi, which could cost more than what you saved on the cost of the excursion.

>> 4. The cruise line has vetted the operators of the shore excursions sold through the ship pretty thoroughly, so you can be confident that they are safe. If you book an excursion on youw own, you have no such assurance unless you somehow know the operator.

For these reasons, I strongly recommend booking through your cruise line -- especially if you are visiting a destination for the first time. But your choice....

That said, I have specific recommendations for some of your ports of call.

>> In Barbados, the excursion called "Orchid World and Tea at Sunbury Plantation" is really unique an very interesting.

>> In Antigua, the excursoin to Nelson's Dockyard is very worthwhile.

>> In Sint Maarten, the "America's Cup Regatta" consistently gets raves from those who participate.

>> In St. Thomas, the "Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John" is absolutely delightful -- well worth every cent of its price!

I have not been to St. Lucia, so I'll refrain from speaking out of ignorance about that port.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.