Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Default Anyone on Star Princess Dec 16-23, 2006?

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are first time cruisers and are celebrating my graduation from University of Central Florida (Orlando) graduate school (knock on wood) and we're looking to meet fun friends before we board. We definitely need some tips and tricks since we're sailing virgins! We're both in music and theater (my MFA is in Musical Theater, and my boyfriend is playing the lead in The Full Monty right now in Detroit and we're both in the show Tony n' Tina's Wedding in Detroit). Anway, we're open to cool people of all ages so if you wanna chat we'd love to meet you.
Take care,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Hi DebbieLynne,

For some (unknown!) reason the "Meet On Board" here is often not very active . I think you've already found that "another" board has lots of posters!

Congratulations on your graduation! Maybe you and your BF could find jobs performing on a ship ! There will be a talent show on board, so be sure to sign up! (Unless you're professionals ) , which it sounds like you may be.

Have a wonderful first cruise, it won't be your last!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Passenger

Hi Fern,
Yes, on "another" board I found a roll call going and signed up and am waiting for replies. Very cool. Is it bad ettiquette to say what site (I noticed you used quotes for "another" which clued me in that it might not be cool to say who)? I've never been an online blogger or chatter so I don't know all the rules about stuff like that. And yes, it would be fun to sign up for the talent show, but do they not allow professionals? Both my boyfriend and I are professional entertainers (I have several students who are performers on some of the other lines, namely Holland America, but I've never done a cruise ship gig). I'd just like to perform for fun; I don't care about the "winning" part. Let me know what you know.
Thanks,
Debbie
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Hi DebbieLynne,

It's against the TOS (Terms of Service) here and on most cruise boards to mention the name of another board. That's why I said "another"!

I'm not at all sure, but I think that if you have your SAG card (or whatever the equivalent is in your profession) you're not allowed to participate in the talent show.

The best idea, IMO, would be to go sign up and see what the rules are. They very well may allow you to perform as a "special" performer if you show them your professional card.

It really wouldn't be fair for you to compete (and I know you don't care about winning) with us "non-professionals" ! (Not that I would ever get on stage and do anything !) I'm amazed at the number of talented passengers we see in the talent shows!

Sea Princess 2014
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Passenger

Hi Fern,
Thanks for getting back to me. Seems a lot of postings are slow now (or maybe I'm just over-eager). I've posted on a few "other" boards and am not seeing much activity yet, though I do notice the postings are apart by almost a week sometimes. So, I'll just keep hanging in there. I've got my name on the roll call Message On Board here so I'm on that thread on this site and I'll keep checking. Thanks for all your advice. All the veteran cruisers seem so nice, I can tell I'll get hooked.

Do you know if I can get any discounts for hotels in Miami/South Beach a few days before the Dec 16 disembarking? I called Princess and they didn't seem to have anything. Just wondering if you get a chance...

Thanks again,
Debbie
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Debbie

We will be sailing on the Star on the 16th December. We are also going to be getting married aboard the ship we look forward to seeing you on board. My wife to be and her father are also very good singers.
Should be a great cruise with all the xmas decorations etc
NCL EPIC 2011
P & O AZURA 2010
CELEBRITY ECLIPSE 2010
JEWEL OF THE SEAS PANAMA CANAL 2009,
NCL STAR 2008 MEXICAN RIVERIA
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 2008 EUROPE
P & O VENTURA 2008 EUROPE
CARNIVAL GLORY 2007
STAR PRINCESS 2006
SEA PRINCESS 2005 NORTHERN EUROPE
GOLDEN PRINCESS 2004 EASTERN CARIBBEAN

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Getting married, how awesome. Yes, I'd love to meet up. I've heard that some of the sites that have roll call boards can get with the cruise director and post a meeting time to meet all the people who are members of that site. I'd love to do that. So, I'll be on the lookout when we board and if anyone knows how to set this up with the cruise director, let me know. I think we can still check email on the ship so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a get together for people. Anyway, thanks for writing. Best of luck to you for the wedding. Do you know what the weather is like for the ship that time of year?
Take care,
Debbie
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:23 AM
Familiar Face

Hi Debbie

Sounds like a good idea.

We are getting married on the first day at sea.

The weather in the Carribbean at that time of year is normally pretty hot and humid.

We look forward to seeing you on board.
NCL EPIC 2011
P & O AZURA 2010
CELEBRITY ECLIPSE 2010
CARNIVAL GLORY 2007
STAR PRINCESS 2006

Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Great, I'll talk to the cruise director and try to set something up. I'm glad the weather will be hot. I wasn't sure if it would get mild that time of year and I'm sure Alan wants to have it as hot as possible because he's coming from Detroit and will want a distinct change. I'm just coming down from Daytona and was worried it would be like Florida weather, which is great for strolling around but not great for being at the pool....a little too chilly in December. Good to hear it will hot pool weather. Should I bring a sweater for nighttime or does is stay pretty hot? Let me know when you get a chance.
Meanwhile I'm off to Detroit this weekend to play a theater show with Alan. I fly out to Detroit Friday night. Then a rehearsal and two shows Saturday. Then two shows Sunday and I have to leave immediately after the last show to get my flight back to Orlando to get in at midnight. I have to teach Monday morning at 9:30am so I can't take any of the morning flights or they won't get me back in time. I'm gonna be exhausted but It'll be worth it to see Alan. I won't see him again after this until just before we cruise...my graduation is Dec 11th and he's coming out to Daytona/Orlando Dec 10th. I bet you have a whirlwind of activitiy too as your wedding approaches!
Take care,
Deb
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Debbie

The last time we were in the Carribbean it was warm in the evenings also but coming from England we probably find will feel the warmth more as it is minus 3 here tonight. You may find it chilly sometimes in the air conditioning but we are fine in short sleeve shirts / dresses in the evenings.

We are staying in Orlando for 7 days pre cruise to check out Mickey and his mates.

You are more than welcome to come to our wedding reception on the ship on the sunday afternoon before dinner as the chapel will be very sparce with just 6 of us

Hope you have a great time in Detroit.

Trish
NCL EPIC 2011
P & O AZURA 2010
CELEBRITY ECLIPSE 2010
CARNIVAL GLORY 2007
STAR PRINCESS 2006

Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo
as it is minus 3 here tonight.
Must be C and not F!

Still kind of cold for me. We were in the UK this summer and it was 99 F in London. Sure glad we did not book a Fall cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Trish,
Yes, I think I've gotten a bit of thin blood from living in Florida 9 months out of the year for the last 3 years for grad school. Sometimes the 70's feels cold to me! (I know that's so wimpy) Anyway, thank you so much for the invite to the reception. I'm sure Alan and I would love to stop by and wish you big congratulations! Please let me know exactly when and where and we'll come by. As for Orlando, have you been there before? Mickey and all is pretty cool but that whole thing can be so exhausting. I live in Daytona an hour away but teach at UCF in Orlando in the northeast Orlando area so I go back and forth a lot. You should have a great time on your vacation before your cruise. How fun, two vacations in one.
I'm going to see my friend in Shaw's "Arms of the Man" tonight at Seaside Music Theater in Daytona so I gotta get ready. Take care and keep in touch.
Debbie
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Debbie

The Ceremony is at 15:30, i guess it will only last 20 minutes.

We have not been to Orlando before so we are going to try and cram in as much as possible so we will probably spend most of the week on the ship sleeping

I am sure you will ove the Star Princess we have sailed the Golden (The sister ship) twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food is fantastic and the shows are West End / Broadway standard. The nightclub is also very entertaining if you like to dance.

I love to sing as well as my father so we will be up for a sing song in the kareoke / Princess Idol competitions.

Have you got any do's or don'ts for our week in Orlando we have got tickets for Universal / Sea World and all the Disney Parks. Will it be shorts weather or a bit too cold for them?

Can't wait only 5 weeks to go!!!

Trish
NCL EPIC 2011
P & O AZURA 2010
CELEBRITY ECLIPSE 2010
CARNIVAL GLORY 2007
STAR PRINCESS 2006

Old November 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Passenger

Trish,
Thanks for the info about your reception. Alan and I will have to be sure and stop by. I was so excited to get the invite, as I'm really looking forward to meeting some new people on the ship. Alan was laughing at me when I told him we got invited to a wedding reception (he knows I'm such a people connector). He thinks I should be a cruise director. Actually my booking company does event coordinating so I do have that "party proclivity." As for Orlando, yes, it will most likely be a bit chilly in December, though it pretty much doesn't get what I would consider "cold" almost ever. (being from Detroit, I know a few things about cold) I'd take some pants as well as shorts, and maybe a cover sweater/sweatshirt, as the weather during the day may be okay for shorts but pants will be better as the sun sets. As for do's and don'ts, I'm not really sure about that time of year for the touristy stuff. I haven't been to Disney/Universal in December so I probably can't help much. Personally, I pay the extra bucks to get the "head of the line" pass that lets you go before everyone else, but that's because I have no patience for the lines anymore. I think you'll have a great time and truly the weather is great in Orlando except during the summer when it's sweltering and during the rainy season late summer to mid fall. Otherwise it's gorgeous and I've loved being out here these last three years for grad school. I've loved going to class in January with dance pants and a tee shirt on and no coat/mittens/scarf/etc. Speaking of class, I've got my thesis defense on Thursday and so I'd better go get ready for it. Wish me luck. I've been very anxious about it and I couldn't sleep tonight (it's about 6:30am) and thought I'd calm myself by checking in and thinking forward to the cruise, not freaking out about Thursday. But I need to get more sleep so I'd better go. Detroit was great this last weekend...got to see Alan which was the best...and we played for a large children's theater production of Aladdin which went off very well. But now I've got to get back into the thesis defense mode. There is still so much to finish before I get my degree and get on that ship! Take care and keep in touch. Looking forward to meeting you on board!
Debbie
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Passenger

Hey Trish...and all,
Does everyone want to tranfer this thread over to the Meet On Board/Roll Call on this site for this ship since that's the official spot I think for this thread to go? I'm just thinking it might be better for streamlining the conversation so I/we don't have to keep checking two different postings all the time. I'm not sure if there's a way to take all these postings and move them but I can check.
Anyone know how to do this?
Debbie
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Hi Debbie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie
Speaking of class, I've got my thesis defense on Thursday and so I'd better go get ready for it. Wish me luck.

Just wanted to say "break a leg"! Please let us know how it goes.

If y'all decide you want to move this thread to the "Meet Onboard" section, just email Kuki here: http://cruisemates.com/forum/profile...91b447d0e22eca and ask him to move it. He's very accommodating!

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Hi Fern,
It's midnight and I just got home from a marathon thesis session with my thesis partner, Josephine. I'm printing my almost 150 page document as we speak to go over edits for tomorrow to turn in before Thursday. I'll let you know if we move the thread. It's weird, I'm getting more play on this thread than the two other MeetOnBoard/RollCall threads I've got going on elsewhere. Weird. Maybe some of the mainstream threads are better covered....who knows. Thanks for the "break a leg" for Thursday. We've got a good presentation: power point for photos and some libretto/scripting to follow as well as some other theatrical aesthetics such as lighting, CD ambience pre-show and Josie, my partner is a fabulous baker so she baked pastries from France, Germany, and America, which represents the three countries we're covering in our Cabaret genre research. Should be fun and informative. I hope the panel likes it...we sure put in a lot of work. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, It's after midnight and I have classes to teach early in the morning so I'm gonna hit it. Thanks for checking in...I'm always so glad to hear from you....I can't wait to celebrate this thesis MFA victory on our cruise!
Take care,
Debbie
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Hey, Debbie,

We're (or at least I'm) waiting to hear how wonderfully things went with your thesis! I'm sure you "blew them away "!

Sea Princess 2014
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Hi Debbie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie
Speaking of class, I've got my thesis defense on Thursday and so I'd better go get ready for it. Wish me luck.
Just wanted to say "break a leg"! Please let us know how it goes.
Thanks Fern,
I finished it, defense: DONE! Now I just have edits of my document to finish before I upload the final PDF. It's still a lot of work but I don't have any more "performing/presenting" to do for my degree. I've been feeling under the weather the last few days-I think I got Alan's cold when I was home in Detroit last week. That's bogging down my energy for completing this document but, life happens. I'm not a big complainer (I was raised by a mother whose nickname is "General Jan" so I can't say complaining got me anywhere in life, which is one of the best things my mom taught me). Anyway, I'm trying to conserve energy so I've been taking little breaks to do something fun in between editing. So, I'm checking in now to say hi and think about the cruise for a minute. The minute's probably up so I'll head back to edit-land. Looking forward to meeting everyone and hearing everyone else's story too. As a writer and thespian I guess I'm used to telling a tale...but I am interested in whatever anyone else wants to share. So, take care and keep in touch.
Debbie
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Fern and Trish,
I think we have been the only three on this thread. I'm going to try to move it to the MOB thread, which I think I've been talking to Trish on anyway (I get confused, as this is my first chatting/blogging/posting so I'm not the most savvy). I'll do as Fern suggested and get with Kuki to move the thread or "weave" it into the other one we already have going on for the MOB. I hope I figure out how to do it. Meanwhile, I'll keep you posted.
Debbie
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Fern and Trish,
I emailed Kuki and will wait to hear what the next step is, but plan to move to the MOB for Star Princess 12/16-23 to continue chatting. I just want to keep this thread so I can look back at who wrote what, otherwise I get confused since I'm not used to chatting/posting/blogging and such.
Thanks,
Debbie