Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default ?'s about Pacific Coastal cruise?

We are thinking of booking the 6 night Pacific Coastal cruise going out of Vancouver on Golden Princess in Sept/07. The itinerary sounds really nice. Vancouver - Victoria - Astoria - San Fran. - Catalina Island - L.A. Been trying to find info. but so far havn't found anything....has anyone been on this one? How was the weather? Anything else you can tell about it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

We did a similiar cruise from Encenada to Vancover/Seattle on a Royal Cribbean cruise in 06.01.

Pretty cool/cold (except for Encenada). It was a nice change of pace cruise.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Passenger

Thanks Irish Shark for getting back to me. My hubby & I don't like hot, humid weather, so this sounds great. I'm always on the look out for a cruise to somewhere that is not too hot. I would like to do the Canada/New England one in the fall too, but we would have to fly to N.Y. and that adds a lot of expense, so this one sounds perfect.

Old November 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Passenger

One more thing I forgot to ask. Does anyone know if the ship stays close to land on this cruise? I'm trying to decide if one side of the ship would be better than the other. The map (below) that is posted on the Princess website is not correct according to the itinerary. Maybe this is a new itin. and they havn't got around to changing the map yet.

Thanks.

Old November 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Admiral

The ship is far enough out to sea that you do not see the coastline (at least ours was).

Besure to be up on deck (or on your balcony) when you go under the Golden Gate Bridge.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

We have been on several of the coastal cruises. The weather is often good.The weather gets better the farther south you go. It is usually in the high 60s or low 70s near Vancouver Canada and gradually warms as you go south. It will be in the 70s off the Oregon coast and may get up to 80 defrees f. (or so) off the coast of California.

We have rarely had rain but have had low clouds and/or fog on occasion. But usually it is clear and quite lovely most of the trip.

The side of the ship will make no difference except if you are more interested in seeing sunrise or sunset, especially if you have a balcony.
Breakfast on the veranda will be sunny and warm on the port side and cocktails at sunset will be much better on the starboard side. An aft facing cabin has a bit of both.

This is assuming you are on a autumn southbound voyage but the reverse is true in the spring northbound journeys.
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm
We have been on several of the coastal cruises. The weather is often good.The weather gets better the farther south you go. It is usually in the high 60s or low 70s near Vancouver Canada and gradually warms as you go south. It will be in the 70s off the Oregon coast and may get up to 80 defrees f. (or so) off the coast of California.

We have rarely had rain but have had low clouds and/or fog on occasion. But usually it is clear and quite lovely most of the trip.

The side of the ship will make no difference except if you are more interested in seeing sunrise or sunset, especially if you have a balcony.
Breakfast on the veranda will be sunny and warm on the port side and cocktails at sunset will be much better on the starboard side. An aft facing cabin has a bit of both.

This is assuming you are on a autumn southbound voyage but the reverse is true in the spring northbound journeys.
Yes, we'll be going south from Vancouver to L.A.

Thank you very much. this is just the type of information I was looking for & you have made it sound lovely...I'm excited and looking forward to it.

I booked balcony cabin B602 on the Baja deck (port side), so looks like we'll be enjoying those warm, sunny mornings.

Thanks again.

Old December 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default We did the same itinerary on the Diamond

It was early October..lovely weather..not humid at all..in fact we needed a light jacket for the first couple of days..someone has already mentioned being on deck as you leave San Francisco..a definite must...on this particular cruise we didn't know so we stayed on our balcony..well at the moment when we went under the Bridge all we heard were these loud AHs and we knew we had missed a wonderful experience..so last year we did a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn leaving from San Francisco and you can be sure we were parked up on deck this time!!

Also..another thing I found wonderful..again in San Francisco..I got up really early and was on the balcony at the moment of arrival..it was still dark and foggy and and then..little by little I could see little bits of light flickering all around and then..the fog lifted and there was San Francisco..in all its glory..it was amazing..and I won't forget my first view of this lovely city.

Camelia
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: We did the same itinerary on the Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia
It was early October..lovely weather..not humid at all..in fact we needed a light jacket for the first couple of days..someone has already mentioned being on deck as you leave San Francisco..a definite must...on this particular cruise we didn't know so we stayed on our balcony..well at the moment when we went under the Bridge all we heard were these loud AHs and we knew we had missed a wonderful experience..so last year we did a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Dawn leaving from San Francisco and you can be sure we were parked up on deck this time!!

Also..another thing I found wonderful..again in San Francisco..I got up really early and was on the balcony at the moment of arrival..it was still dark and foggy and and then..little by little I could see little bits of light flickering all around and then..the fog lifted and there was San Francisco..in all its glory..it was amazing..and I won't forget my first view of this lovely city.

Camelia
Hi Camelia,
Thanks for the info. Everyone is making it sound just wonderful. I really don't like hot, humid weather, so maybe it won't be too bad when we go right at the end of September.

I'm glad you mentioned being on deck as we go into San Francisco, rather than on our balcony, because that's probably what we would have done.

Thanks again, can't wait to go.
Beejo