Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Default Introducing myself.......another newbie!!

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to your board and to cruising. After becoming bored with land based vacations we have decided to try a cruise. I'm so excited. We are booked for a 9 day eastern caribbean cruise on the Crown leaving from Brooklyn on June 17, 2007. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and reserved a mini-suite #E731. I did a lot of research trying to decide what cruise line, ship, itinerary, stateroom etc. and decided on this. What do you think? Any advice? Only 184 more days to go. Whoo hoo!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Welcome to Cruisemates!!!

Sounds like you've picked a wonderful first cruise. Goes to show research before booking is a great thing.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Hi gr82cu2,

Welcome to Cruisemates from me, too!

The only possible problems I can see is that cabin E731 is right above Club Fusion. You may hear some noise late at night, but generally the cabins are soundproofed. It's also an aft cabin where you may feel more movement than an amidships cabin.

If you're not prone to car sickness or air sickness you should be fine!

I hope that someone who's actually stayed in that area can give you more information.

Have a wonderful cruise and Happy 30th Anniversary! We'll be celebrating our 25th next spring .

My main advice is to have FUN and go with the flow!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Welcome aboard from beautiful downtown Lakeland, Florida. Your cruise choice sounds excellent to me. I'd bet you'll have a great time, and probably book another cruise immediantly upon your return from this one. If you have any questions at all, you've come to the right place. The great folks here can answer most any question you have, and we're more than happy to do so.

Ken

P.S. I grew up in Fortville, Indiana!
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Default thank you all so much

It's great to receive such a warm welcome!!

Fern, during my research I read in more than one place where E731 is pretty well protected from the sound of the club. Our cabin will be starboard side (look at me talking like I know anything about ships ) and the stage and dance floor are port side. I'm hoping the reports were accurate because we are early to bed, early to rise people. If not, we're on vacation, so who cares? I really, really, really wanted a mini-suite but didn't want the totally exposed balcony on the dolphin deck. Also, E731 has a larger balcony because it is at the rear of the ship (that's aft right?) and slightly wraps around.

I'm only mildly concerned about sea sickness. Neither of us have ever had the slightest problem with car or air sickness so I don't think it will be a problem.

Ken, I'm familiar with Fortville. We live in Brownsburg about 8 miles west of Indy. We've been here for 20 years come the 1st of February.

Kuki, trust me......I've been all over the internet researching this trip. The internet is an invaluable tool when planning to travel anywhere in my opinion. My husband things I'm obsessive but we usually end up having a great time. I'm the household travel planner for sure.

Thank you all so much for the welcome! I'm anxious to get to know you all.

Janet
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Hi Janet,

It's wonderful to hear that you've done your "homework"! I'm also the planner in our family. A week before we left for our last cruise I asked DH what ship we were sailing. He knew it was Princess, but had no idea of the name of the ship !

From what I can tell from the deck plan, E731, starboard (yes!) is not one of the cabins that have a larger balcony . These are usually the very aft cabins (E732-E735). We haven't been on the Crown, so I might be wrong !

I don't think you'll have a problem with seasickness. We never have, but always bring some Bonnine with us "just in case".

Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Hi Fern,

Sorry......E731 is on the side of the ship but the last cabin at the rear. That balcony is a little larger than the other mini-suite balconies because it extends and curves with the ship back there. Not a lot more room, but a little

Your husband and mine should meet sometime. Mine is totally clueless about "our" plans most of the time That's fine with me. I get my way that way!!

Any places on the web that you know of to buy bonine? I want to take some just in case. Oh my gosh!! I'm so excited!! Our oldest son ships out for basic training with the Navy in April or May and now he wants us all to go on a cruise together before he goes. I may get a pre-cruise cruise before this is all over. He has been on a cruise before and loved it. He went on RCI on his honeymoon. Unfortunately the marriage didn't work out but the memories of the cruise keep calling him back.

Old December 17th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Hi gr82cu2,

You can find Bonine at Wal-Mart or Kmart. You can also get the generic, meclazine, from your pharmacist (it's a "behind the counter" drug, but not a RX).

Along with everyone else here, I'm very proud of your oldest son! Please keep us advised as to where he is going.

Quote:
I get my way that way!!
Me, too!