Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Default ISLAND PRINCESS-HAWAII

island princess - hawaii: am sailing to hawaii late january-have pre-booked a submarine tour from Lahaina (Maui). am slightly claustrophobic and need to know if anyone has taken this tour. is it cramped inside and is sub in darkness. any info would help. tks.
cruising goldenagers
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

I have never taken this particular tour; but others that I have taken, the sub really does not submerge.

There are port holes that are below the waterline and the top hatch has stayed open or closed depending the conditions of the day and so that you can see better. It is a litttle crowed if full.

We went horseback riding in Maui.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Beginner

tks for info Irish SHark but am told this sub goes down 125 feet and is totally submerged - are we talking the same one - this is the Atlantis sub out of Lahaina - did do an underwater sub in Grand Cayman that was just a bottom part of a boat that was underwater but I was under the impression this was the real deal submarine.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Ahhh, did not know that the thing really went under the water. Like I said, I have not done this tour before.

This one?

"The biggest attraction on Maui is 130-ft. below the ocean. Atlantis Submarines is your ticket to see it. Take an once-in-a-lifetime undersea adventure in an Atlantis Submarine, the world's first and most technologically advanced passenger submarine. You will journey into a spectacular blue world more than 130 feet below the surface in spacious air-conditioned comfort."

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/to...site=8&tour=44

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Passenger

I read your question around a week ago and thought I had replied however after having little to do today I thought I would brouse the forum and found I had not, I appoligise as I think I have information for you that will change your mind where to take you dive.
Indeed these Atlantis subs do go down 100 plus, we have just got back from the Island doing the same trip and we did the sub in Kona,I had asked the tour office what was the best one to do and they booked us on this one ( my ONLY complaint on this cruise other than small cabins with small balconiesand the smallest showers on the high seas but none of those spoilt the cruise -food is YUMMY !) and they did this to simlply flog a ticket as it is CLEAR that the Honalulu sub has much more to see, as with ship and plane wrecks, I am not aware of Maui as we did not get to go into port becuae of bad weather but again looking through the Atalantis website and a bit of browsing it seems clear Honalulu is the best, at 100 feet the coral is all grey and purple because of the lack of sunlight and therefore it would have been great to see the fish in wrecks etc, hope this helps have a great trip, we did and would go again tomorrow