Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Default Mini suite vs. regular balcony cabin - what's the difference

We are going to Hawaii next September. Considering booking a mini-suite - not too much more expensive and a bit of extra room would be nice for a 15 day cruise. Does anyone know the difference in size/amenities between the two?
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Admiral

the extra floor and storage space is really nice in a mini-suite. You actually get a sitting area with 2 barrel chairs a table and the couch that folds out into a sofa bed. The larger bathroom with tub is a huge plus, as is having two tvs- Go for it.
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mini suite vs. regular balcony cabin - what's the differ

Josie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going to Hawaii next September. Considering booking a mini-suite - not too much more expensive and a bit of extra room would be nice for a 15 day cruise. Does anyone know the difference in size/amenities between the two?
The definition of "minisuite" actually depends upon the ship.

>> AboardMV Regal Princess and the three ships of the R1 class, the "minisuites" are essentially large cabins with a large sitting and dining area and a bathtub/shower unit in the head.

>> Aboard the ships of the Sun Princess class, the minisuites actually are small suites with a separate bedroom and living/dining areas separated by a folding partition. The head -- which has a full bathtub, separate shower, and separte lavatory and toilet -- is accessible from either room without going through the other. They occupy about the same space as two standard cabins, and their balconies are double width. The entrance is in the living/dining area, so visitors do not pass through the bedroom area.

>> Aboard the ships of the Grand Princess, Coral Princess, Diamond Princess, and Caribbean Princess classes, the minisuites are deeper and perhaps slightly wider balcony cabin that has a sitting (and dining?) area between the bed and the balcony. Their heads, located at the entrance, are slightly larger than the heads in standard cabins, with a combined bathtub/shower unit in the same area as the lavatory and the toilet. The door is next to the head and closet, as in a standard cabin, and the "bedroom" is between the entrance and the living/dining area so guests will pass though the bedroom when they come to visit and when they need to use the head.

If you click on the links into Princess's web site above, you'll find links to diagrams of typical minisuites in the respective classes of vessels. Infurtunately, the links to the diagrams work only if accessed from within Princess's web site so I have to use the links to the pages containing them instead.

Norm.
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Norm

Is there a folding partition between the bedroom and living room areas on the Grand class ship?
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy6
Norm

Is there a folding partition between the bedroom and living room areas on the Grand class ship?
No

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Definitely opt for the mini suite on the Island Princess ... the cabins are the same as on the Grand class. The biggest benefit is the full size sofa and additional sitting area not found on the balcony cabins. On the Cruisemates cruise, those who had balconys really appreciated the size of our cabin.

Here is a photo gallery I took:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2686

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Just saw that you are going on the Diamond (great ship).

Here is the mini suite on Diamond (it's identical):

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2123

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Harry - thanks for the pictures. I'm looking at the Diamond for 2008.
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default what about open balcony on emerald

Harry

You seem to know about mini suites so maybe you can help me. We are going on the emerald in jan 2008 and we booked a mini suites. All the mini suites stick out from the ship with no roof. In your opion do you think this could be a problem with weather.people looking down etc

Thanks for any input
Pudgy

Old January 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

We have only sailed in Princess mini suites. We don't find it a problem without any cover.

Flip it over. They can look down on you, but you can also look up to them.

I also like it because you can look out and see without any obsticle in your way.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I was just talking with my sister in law about this ... The time you notice the uncovered aspect the most is at sailaway, when so many people are out on their balconies.

However, once you set sail, it's just a smattering of people out, and we found rarely the people above us were out at the same time. I wouldn't let it bother you in the least ... the mini suites are so much nicer than balconies, and I just learned not to look up.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Passenger

Balcony cabins are 233 to 285 sq ft, whereas Mini-Suites are 323 sq ft. We did not have a problem with the non covered Dlophin Deck balcony.

Always keep an open mind.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/MD11F/
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

Considering the Emerald Princess for a late March early April Caribbean cruise in 2008. Was trying to decide between a balcony or mini-suite. After reading these messages and seeing the wonderful pictures that Harry posted, I think I'll stick with my original plans and book a mini-suite.
This will be our first Princess cruise - have been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and they seem to have the bigger balcony cabins. I would prefer having a larger cabin for a 10 night cruise - that is why a mini-suite may be best. I was getting a little concerned because so many think the open balcony is not desirable, but I think having a much larger cabin would be a plus. Would appreciate any feed back on the pros and cons for both balcony and mini-suite.

SandyG

Cruising on Carnival Liberty - 4/14/07.
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Sandy, so glad the photos came in handy ... I totally agree with you -- for a 10 night, the extra space was very much desired. We are perfectly fine with a Carnival balcony, but when it comes to Princess, we like to upgrade.

On the uncovered balcony, the only time I really noticed it was at sailaway. After that, not many people were out, and I just learned not to look up. It was barely an issue.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Harry that the uncovered balcony is basically a non-issue, that is unless you are planning on sunbathing au naturale. The truth is for you to see up to your neighbors, you must stand at the rail and turn around and look up. If you are on an upper deck you have to go to the rail and really look down its fun at sail-away, everyone is waving and toasting eachother!
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Familiar Face

Harry and Lisa - thanks for your input. I will be booking a mini-suite for the Emerald. Now I just have to decide which itinerary we want to go on.

Sandy