Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Familiar Face

Default TOUR SUGGESTIONS NEEDED-S. CARIBBEAN

Just booked the Crown S. Caribbean cruise on Mar.3. Would like some advice on tours. We like beautiful beaches, snorkling, and I remember seeing some tour with animals, but can't remember where. Any suggestions would be helpful. Our stops are: St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba. Any good shopping areas? Not straw markets, but nice shopping.
Royal Caribbean 1996
Carnival 2000
Holland 2002
Holland 2004-ooster-east
Holland 2005 veen-west
Holland 2006-Westr-east
Princess 2007-Crown
NCL-Feb. 2008-Sun-west
NCL-Feb.-2009-Spirit
Princess Crown-Mar. 2010-west
Royal Caribbean-Brillance-Oct 2010-Medit
Princess 2012-Crown-South
Princess 2013-Crown-South
NCL -2014-Jewel-western
Royal Caribbean-2015-Jewel/seas-South
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Admiral

St. Thomas - seriously check into the beaches over on St. John Island - one of the best ways to do it is to book the Champagne Catamaran sail tour. If you want to do it on your own you have to take a ferry from St. Thomas and then a cab to the beaches - go to www.vinow.com for ferry schedules and beach information. One of the best beaches on St. Thomas proper would have to be Sapphire Beach - very pretty, good snorkeling. SHopping in St. Thomas - either at Havensight Mall -where you will most likely dock or in downtown Charlotte-Amalie. There are birds and botanical gardens up on Paradise Point in St. Thomas - short tram ride up the mountian, you can walk to the tram from the ship.
Grenada - "The Spice Island" take an island tour that includes the spice plantations.
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Passenger

RBlank28,

Such a tour I have for you; I have been to Aruba several times and last year when we were on the Destiny, we too an extreme Jeep tour through ABC tours. It was excellent! Part amusement park ride, all sight seeing and if the seas are calm you get to not only swim but hike a bit to the water (baby beach I think) My wife and I are 48 and 52 respectivley and we are thinking of doing the longer half day tour this time. If this appeals to you the link is below

http://www.abc-aruba.com/

Andy
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

rblank28,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Just booked the Crown S. Caribbean cruise on Mar.3. Would like some advice on tours. We like beautiful beaches, snorkling, and I remember seeing some tour with animals, but can't remember where. Any suggestions would be helpful. Our stops are: St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba. Any good shopping areas? Not straw markets, but nice shopping.
In St. Thomas, I agree completely with Lisa's recommendation of the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John. This excursion is well worth the price. The catamaran picks you up right at the end of the cruise ship pier and takes you to a nice secluded beach on St. John with a decent snorkeling (gear and instructions provided) nearby. After a couple hours, the crew serves a buffet lunch aboard the catamaran. There's more time for swimming before the catamaran sets sail, returning to the cruise ship pier around 3:15 or so. The whole time, the crew of the catamaran also serves beverages of your choice. The selections include champagne, rum punch, beer, soda, and jucies. Upon returning, you can browse the shops in a shopping center right next to the pier or return aboard te ship in time for afternoon tea.

In Aruba, there's also an excellent excursion called Sail, Snorkel, Barbecue, and Beach. Here, a sail catamaran picks you up at the pier and takes you to a couple prime snorkel areas (gear and instruction again provided, or you can just swim if you prefer) -- a reef and a wreck, both teeming with marine life. The catamaran then goes to the operator's pier, where there's a barbecue lunch in a shack on the pier. After lunch, you can go swimming at a gorgeous beach right next to the pier or browse the shops across the street before the catamaran brings you back to the cruise ship pier.

I don't have recommendations for beaches in your other ports of call, but I do recommend the tour of the highlights of St. Kitts. This excursion visits the famous Brimstone Fortress, known as the "Gibraltar of the West Indies," and a historic estate that houses the Batik factory and magnificent gardens. This tour is quite interesting, and you might find it to be a nice change of pace from all of the beaches.

Finally, with regard to shopping, Grenada is the place to stock up on spices -- which are also great souvenirs for your friends who like to cook or bake. The spices there are so bountiful that you can smell them simply by stepping out on deck while the ship is at anchor in the harbor at St. George's.

I can't say that you'll find anything special or unique on any of the other islands, but there is an additional duty free allowance ($400 per person IIRC) for goods purchased in the U. S. Virgin Islands. If you are planning to buy goods worth more than your basic duty free allowance (now $800 per person), you'll save duty by buying the goods in excess of the basic limit in St. Thomas.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Passenger

St. Thomas- For the best off the beach snorkeling you can't beat Coki Point. It will get probably get crowded as the day goes on so grab a cab as soon as ship docks. (Check www.cruisecal.com to see how many ships will be there the day you are in port.) Bring some dried dog food pellets such as Alpo. The fish love it and they will overwhelm you. The aquarium is there also if you are skittish of thousands of fish approaching you. IT'S AWESOME!!! The most beautiful beach is Magen's Bay but poor snorkeling.
Grenada- Hop a water taxi to Grand Anse Beach. There is a small restaurant there. Had the best fresh caught fish sandwich I ever had. They catch it, walk past you and show you the fish. then cook it up into a sandwich.
St. Kitts- Take the tour. Check out the view from the Fort on Brimstone Hill. Stunning view of Nevis and Saba and the other surrounding islands. Breathtaking.

17th cruise- November 16- Princess Cay Suite on the brand new Emerald Princess. PSYCHED
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Familiar Face

St Thomas is great for shopping. I bought diamond earrings at Shopper's Haven in the Havensight Mall-B. I couldn't afford the earrings I really wanted so bought what I could afford. The clerk told me to hang on to my receipt, and if I got back there, they'd give me my full purchase price (as long as the earrings were in good shape) toward a better pair. I got back there a couple years later and got 1/4 carrot each. Got back there a 3rd time, but the next step up was more extravagant than I needed or wanted to spend. It's been fun returning to my store! I'll be there again next cruise and will go in and see if loyalty counts for a bigger discount!
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to stuart.hobs

Hi to everyone. I just joined and it'd be my pleasure to share experience.