Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Default Pre Cruise Hotel - Los Angeles for Diamond Princess

Just booked a suite on DP for Hawaii in September. Only 8 months to go!

Am planning arriving a day or two early to LA area - I know the city is extremely spread out. Don't know where LAX is in relation to anything. I know the ship sails from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. Any ideas or suggestions for a nice hotel - shops and restaurants close by (i.e. walking distance). Don't want to rent a car or take cabs everywhere.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

unfortunately, la is far ($) from lax or san pedro. if sightseeing in la, le montrose suite hotel can't be beat. close to sunset blvd, etc le montrose is A+ all the way . taxi to la from lax apprx $70 and from la to san pedro is aprx $80 all plus tips
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Josie the West Coast Hotel in Long Beach is nice, and has a park and sail package. It's about 6-8 miles to San Pedro. Also, you can walk to some nice restaurants on the bay, as well as to the Queen Mary. Further, Long Beach has a complimentary trolley style bus that will take you anywhere else. Very nice hotel with large rooms.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

It seems to me that before you decide on a hotel, it would be best to do a little homework and decide what you'd like to see and do in the LA area during your pre-cruise stay. Once you've determined that, it will be much easier to figure out what would be the most advantageous area to stay in, then choose a hotel after that.

You're right, the LA area is very spread out, with numerous airports and lots to do and see. You say you don't want to rent a car, but the fact is that a car is probably the most convenient way to navigate the area despite the infamous traffic problems. If you do that, you can, for example, rent at LAX and drop off in downtown Long Beach, which is only a short cab ride from the ship.

If you're truly only interested in being near the port, and don't care to take in any of the nice things LA has to offer (like, for example, the Getty museum), then your best bet would be to try to get a flight to Long Beach airport (LGB), cab it to one of the nice hotels in downtown Long Beach, where there are plenty of restaurants and lots of shopping within walking distance, then cab it to San Pedro on cruise day. The cab ride across the bridge is about 15 minutes.

If you can't get a flight to LGB, I think there are shuttle services from LAX to Long Beach as an alternative to cabs. I don't know how the prices compare.
Old January 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Passenger

There are several hotels at San Pedro but because of the old adgage position position position you pay over the top if there are ship / ships in (if there is rooms) and to be very frank you can go 10 15 miles out and get a Mariotts of much higher star rating as a example at less expence ( from our experiences) San Pedro its self is not a place you would find a couple of days interest in I beleive also- while you said you did not want to rent a car I would suggest you do rent a car at LAX and go where you want to go & stay where you want to stay. While there are several rental companies in San Pedro or shuttle there the Enterprise Car Rental group have a office 100 yards directly accross the carpark / road from the terminal and also they shuttle you over there, so for $35 bucks a day you can get a car and do your own thing and drive into San Pedro to the dock
I dont think Diamond is there on Sundays as my only WARNING !!!!! and BEWARE as LAX will not tell you this that the office is closed on Sundays there - other than that they are fantastic with a great service. As you have already read there is heaps to do within easy driving so it is a opition that is worth considering
Hope this helps some, have a GREAT cruise, I have just returned from the same cruise on Island and I hope yours is as good as ours was