Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Default Star Princess: Need Advice Please

We have booked a cruise on the Star Princess. It will be only our second Princess cruise. The other one was over 15 years ago. I've been reading many posts saying that the Grand Princess is terrible and that Celebrity is so much better than Princess. Since the Star Princess is a "sister ship" to the Grand Princess, any comments both pro and con regarding the Star Princess will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Familiar Face

First let me say stop worrying! Star Princess is a beautiful ship and you will enjoy her very much. I don't agree that Celebrity is "better" than Princess. They are both good but each one has their own plus & minus.

My particular favorites are HAL & Princess (both totally different). For every negative review of a ship you can find a positive that contradicts it, even on the same cruise you will find some will rave about it and others well you know.
Rccl SOS 10/99 - Celebrity Horizon 11/01 - Golden Princess 11/02 - HAL Zuiderdam 11/03 - Celebrity Summit 4/04 - Star Princess 11/04 - NCL Spirit 3/05 - HAL Zuiderdam 6/05 - Star Princess 11/05 - HAL Westerdam 1/06 - HAL Veendam 4/06 - Sun Princess 10/06 - Caribbean Princess 11/06 - Star Princess 4/07 - Caribbean Princess 7/07 - Coral Princess 11/07 - Ruby Princess 12/08 - Crown Princess 4/09 - Emerald Princess 11/09 - Crown Princess 11/10 - Grand Princess 11/11
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Passenger

I sailed on the Star Princess in late 2004 and had a wonderful time. I would go again.

I agree with shifra1of2 that you can find good and bad reviews for just about any ship and some people will be certain that one cruise line is better than another and someone else will have the exact opposite opinion. Just make sure to pack lots of good attitude and you can have a great time just about anywhere.

No, Princess isn't an ultra-luxury cruise line. However, if you don't want to refinance your house to go on a cruise, Princess is one of the best values for your vacation dollar. I found the service to be reliably good and it always came with a smile. The accommodations were comfortable and clean. The cuisine was always enjoyable and sometimes even memorable.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. There are plenty of things to enjoy on Princess' Grand Class ships (which include the Star Princess).

Here’s one small detail that is still memorable to me: On the promenade deck, you can actually walk to the forward most point of the ship, look out ahead and see nothing but ocean in all of your peripheral vision – like the iconic scene from “Titanic? where Jack takes Rose ‘flying’. On many cruise lines, the forward most point of the ship accessible to passengers is back a ways from the front and on upper decks. I discovered this part of the ship on a late night stroll under a full moon somewhere between Caribbean Islands. There were calm seas and scattered clouds reflecting the moonlight. It was beautiful. I stayed there for hours.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks so much

Thanks to all three of you for your feedback. It has been so long since I have cruised with Princess (only 1 time before and it was way back in 1981). My more recent cruises have been with HAL and they have all been great. I did take NCL's Majesty over Christmas and it was terrible. I suppose that I was just a little "ship shy" after the NCL incident. Thanks again. It will be fun to experience the Star Princess. I'll send a report after the cruise.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Star Princess: Need Advice Please

PacificHeights7,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We have booked a cruise on the Star Princess. It will be only our second Princess cruise. The other one was over 15 years ago. I've been reading many posts saying that the Grand Princess is terrible and that Celebrity is so much better than Princess. Since the Star Princess is a "sister ship" to the Grand Princess, any comments both pro and con regarding the Star Princess will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
My fourth cruise was aboard MV Grand Princess in the Mediterranean. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, but I also encountered many annoyances in the layout of the ship. Two cruises aboard MV Sun Princess and a third aboard MV Sea Princess. which share the best layout that I have experienced on any cruise ship, had shown me how well a ship's layout can function. After 21 cruises, I still regard MV Grans Princess as the poorest layout that I have seen aboard a cruise ship. Let me be clear, though, that all other aspects of the cruise were fully up to the standard that I expected from Princess.

Norm.