Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Beginner

Default Ages on Princess Alaskan Cruise

As my family's unoffical travel agent, am I making a mistake by suggesting Princess to them for an Alaskan cruise? It would be four of us (ages 51, 50, 21, 16). None of us are looking for much in the way of late-night parties, but at the same time, we'd prefer not to be on a floating nursing home. If someone can give some advice (especially that based on first-hand experience), I'd appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ages on Princess Alaskan Cruise

arb910,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As my family's unoffical travel agent, am I making a mistake by suggesting Princess to them for an Alaskan cruise? It would be four of us (ages 51, 50, 21, 16). None of us are looking for much in the way of late-night parties, but at the same time, we'd prefer not to be on a floating nursing home. If someone can give some advice (especially that based on first-hand experience), I'd appreciate it!
You'll find passengers of all ages on most Princess cruises, and most especially on Princess cruises to Alaska. The line's ships are anything but "floating nursing homes." The teen program will be great for the 16YO and the 21YO will find enough other young adults to have a great time!

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Why in the world is age important ... there are great people of all ages. I was just on a cruise where I met a couple who were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary and another couple who had their 19 year old son on board - great people all.

A cruise is what you make of it - and age does really not enter into it! There are crabby young people and cheerful older people, but on the whole, most cruisers are wonderful no matter their age.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Passenger

I have been on 4 cruises with Princess and are leaving on my 5th this Saturday on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal. I have cruised to Alaska twice. I was around 20 then and loved it. Princess has people of all different ages both young and old. I agree with Cruiznut that it does not really matter the age.

[img]/countdown.php?month=01&year=2007&day=28&hour=16:00[/img].
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Yeoman

" floating nursing home" where did you get that silly idea. AND why did you suggest Princess if that is what YOU thought it would be??
If you had done some homework you would have realized how that was so not a valid question.

Your entire family will enjoy Princess.

I have been on two Princess and two Carnival cruises, I enjoyed them both, but like Princess a bit more. There are ALL ages onboard.. trust me on this. If you are one of the teens go to the first night meet and greet in the teen club,, you will meet a ton of other teens, so that even if you never go back to the club area you will still meet some kids to hang out with.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Passenger

ARB,
If you are referring to a longer cruise like the SF-Alaska 10-11 day, I have heard that the passengers tend to be older than a summertime 7 day cruise. We are doing one of these in Sep so we will know more then. We have done two Alaska 7 day southbound cruises from Seward-Vanc. on HAL and Celebrity and we have had all ages on board.

And as stated, age is not as important as everyone having a good time. We are early risers and usually headed for bed by 11 or so most nights but when we were in one of the lounges, we met several "older" groups that would have partied us under the table in terms of having good time. So, it should not be a concern. Princess draws more families than most cruise lines. Good luck

JQ
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Passenger

Age makes NOOOO difference on any of their ships as far as I have en-
countered, they're all over the spectrum.

Go and have a GREAT cruise...... and take in every second(of the clock)
of that great state....it's a sight to be hold and forget about that age junk.

CIAO,
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old January 27th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just to clarify a bit, PG I had done rather extensive homework on all of the major cruise lines sailing Alaska. Sometime after that, however, I came across a couple of threads on cruisemates.com that had things like "nearly half of the people on the boat were using canes and walkers" written. That did cause me to worry that I might have missed something regarding the "personality" of the Princess line.

And BTW, I never intended any sort of disrepect towards those older than myself. I simply wanted to make sure that I had ALL information before my family spends $12,000+ on a vacation. I apologize if I somehow came off that way.
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

As another cruiser said the 10 day SFO cruises do attract a slightly older crowd but pricing also is another reason fewer kids. We just love the extra sea days that the SFO sailings allow.
We have sailed a dozen cruises from Vancouver and Seattle(7days)but these days we enjoy the extra sea says from wonderful SFO but its 10 days instead of 7.(thats plus too)
Best wishes, I think you'll have a great cruise on Princess.
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

The thing I like about Princess is the mix of different ages and things to do for all.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ages on Princess Alaskan Cruise

I understand what you are concerned about, especially the 16 yr. old. I am a mother of 4 (all almost grown) and I know how quickly teens get bored. There are things on board that will keep both the 21 yr old and the 16 yr old occupied. Go to Princess.com, select the ship you are sailing on and go to activities and you will see a description of teen club area for teens.

We are sailing again with Princess to Alaska in '08 this time with my 13 year old granddaughter and her parents. I knew we were planning this Alaskan Cruise again so I checked out the teen club during my cruise to Ak in 2005 and found the teens were having a great time. I think you will be pleased.

As for as age it depends on what time you cruise. If the childen are out of school (summer months) you will see more children. Our cruise in September did not have school age children, however we did have young adults, couples with small infants and pre-school age children, 30's to seniors. It was a good mix. Don't worry, all of your family will have a great time.

Bandrews
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Familiar Face

We did the 10day Round-trip from SO last year - and expected it to be older since it was Alaska and 10day.

We were pleasantly surprised to find varied ages onboard - most seemed to be 40's and 50's - like us.

We had a wonderful time! It was more difficult to stay up late - it seemed like everything was happening early in the morning. I'm sure you will have a good cruise!
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Admiral

The average age for our Princess cruise to Alaska was definitely older than most. However that is not a bad thing. A cruise is what you make of it, and the Alaska cruise is an event in itself. Any age disparity will not detract from your enjoyment.