Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver
Default Marie: Don't know why we were upgraded to full suite!

Hi Marie. Received your email but my return to you kept coming back to me so hope you are still monitoring this board.
I wish that I knew why we were upgraded from a mini suite to a Vista Suite (We even had a name for our cabin, the "St. Maartin!") If i did I would surely do it again! The amenities were really great, internet, free mini bar (we don't drink so they exchanged for soft drinks), free dry cleaning (I brought all my dirty suites from home) just kidding. Why we were selected from all the others who booked a mini suite on the Caribbean Princess I haven't a clue. Even our travel agent told us she had never seen that happen before. That was only our third Princess cruise. It certainly had the desired effect for us...its ONLY Princess in our future! (Island Princess to Hawaii coming in 18 days, with a pretty good upgrade, from an obstructed outside to a "oceanview deluxe".
Good fortune for you Marie. I hope you get your suite in October.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM
First Mate

Many of the better upgrades are based on your original fare and sometimes just the luck of the draw.Most of the time it has nothing to do with number of cruises on that line and I have never received that much up grade even with 110 days on a competitive line.Was on Princess last week and was told what I just wrote.Many times the travel agent will have some influence assuming the request came thru this channel.Enjoy your new upgrade.
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are upgrades possible if one books a guaranteed cabin?
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Hi Janice Marie,

Yes, upgrades are possible with a guarantee. However, no one really knows how the upgrade fairy works !

You should book the guarantee cabin that you'd be happy with, let your TA know that you'll take an upgrade, and then cross your fingers !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Most people do not know that there are 3 or 4 catagories on the same deck depending on location.Would still go with guarantee form your best chance on a good upgrade.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I agree about the mystery of the "upgrade fairy". There is seemingly no rhyme or reason that we could figure out. We did a last minute booking on the RCCL Soverign Of The Seas and our documents had to picked up on the pier. We were issued into a private office where we were taken care of (sign & sail, etc.) and were surprised by a substantial upgrade from an ocean view to a "junior" suite with balcony on a high deck. That was a nice touch, but trying to figure out how to pull a repeat ? No chance !
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Default STERLING SILVER

We were holding a "AA, MINI" on the GRAND and were upgraded by the nice fairy to a PH SUITE..........WOW, WAS THAT COOL OR WHAT ??

CIAO,
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Based on some research, here's the criteria used by most cruise lines for upgrades:
- Guests who are frequent travelers with a cruise line are more likely to be upgraded.
- Guests who paid a higher fares than other guests for the same category are more likely to get upgraded.
- Guests who book far in advance are more likely to be rewarded with an upgrade.
- Guests originally booked in categories that the cruise line does not have many cabins available are more likely to get an upgrade.
- Guests with a "guarantee" booking instead of an "assigned" cabin are more likely to be upgraded.

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour