Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska clothing

We are going to alaska in may and are doing the land-cruise tour and would like to know what special clothing would we find necessary to take, shoes as well.
Does anyone have any information about the dog-sled excursion,especially ,again, pertaining to clothing .
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The key word to Alaska clothing questions is LAYERING.

You want to have a number of layers that you can put on, or take off, as the climate changes, including something that is water proof.

I know it sounds like alot, and it is more difficult than packing for a Caribbean cruise, but there's a possibility of encountering everything from weather suitable to tanning in bikinis by the pool to parka weather.

There's a variety of clothing available that is lighweight yet warm. But if you're coming from warm weather areas where you'd never use it again, make do with sweaters, rainwear etc that you use at home.

If you're doing the dog sledding on the glacier, definitel a few layers, including a hoodey style sweatshirt, and gloves.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Beginner

We've been to Alaska twice, most recently in 2005 on the Coral Princess and did the land tour, including a visit to a sled dog kennel. In all ports and in Denali, Talkeetna and Fairbanks, it was very cool. We went in August. I wore a short sleeved shirt at the Princess lodge one day and the rest of the time I had on a light jacket over a long sleeved shirt and jeans with hiking boots or walking shorts. That outfit worked well everywhere. When we were in Glacier Bay, at the Mendenhall Glacier and College Fjord, we had on heavy jackets, gloves, wool hats and were still cold. You need all that to stand out on the deck and view the Glaciers, but it is so worth it! We just visited the sled dogs and did not ride a sled but it was great to see and hold the puppies and you still needed a jacket and jeans. The best bet for Alaska is to have layers and be prepared with a jacket and small umbrella at all times.
Linda
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska clothing

rcbrown333,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going to alaska in may and are doing the land-cruise tour and would like to know what special clothing would we find necessary to take, shoes as well.
Does anyone have any information about the dog-sled excursion,especially ,again, pertaining to clothing .
For most locations, a sweater or sweatshirt and a waterproof nylon windbreaker are quite sufficient.

In the bays containing glaciers and on the glaciers themselves, the air temperature is typically in the upper 30's. Note that the bays in the vicinity of the glaciers are full of ice water due to the calving of the glaciers, so it cools the air above the bay quite a bit. In these areas, you really will appreciate a heavy (winter) jacket, gloves, and a warm hat.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Alaska clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrown333`
Comfortable shoes are a must! We did more walking that we had done in a long time (I actually LOST 3 1/2 pounds ) and we brought sneakers/tennis shoes, walking/deck shoes, casual shoes, dressy shoes, extra shoes and we ended up wearing our sneakers the entire time except for formal nights.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Passenger

Our cruise leaves for Alaska on June 9th, and we're taking the following wet/cold weather gear and clothing:

- Ear Band or Muffs
- Gloves
- Jeans (flannel-lined for colder climates)
- Light Fleece Jacket
- Long Underwear (if it's 40º and raining, you'll appreciate these)
- Socks (at least 2 pairs of wool socks for Alaska)
- Sweater or Sweatshirt
- Umbrella
- Waterproof Footwear (like hiking boots)
- Waterproof Rain Hat
- Waterproof Rain Jacket

It may seem crazy to bring some of these items, but it's important to be warm and dry on the excursions as well as on the ship!

Waterproof Rain Pants

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default Wow, lot's of luggage!

Hi AlaskaGolden;
Wow, we were not intending to take that much warm clothing but we will have to take a second look! We are also going on June 9th out of Vancouver.
THanks for the heads-up on what to bring;
Winterpeg (Gary & Norine)
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Default ALASKA CLOTHING

[b]Alaska Cruise Packing Tips
From May through September, temperatures range from 40°F to 70° F during the day and drop into the 30’s and 40’s at night. The best way to prepare for this range of temperatures is to dress in layers and to be prepared for anything from bright sunshine—don’t forget those sunglasses—to light rain. Here’s a list of items to include when packing for an Alaska trip.
· Waterproof jacket
· Wool or fleece sweater or liner
· Turtleneck or a comfortable protective long sleeve shirt
· Comfortable footwear suitable for hiking and walking in wet conditions (Be sure to break in new shoes before your trip.)
· Good socks
· Warm hat/rain hat
· Gloves
· Insect repellent
· Sunscreen
· Travel umbrella
· Good camera with extra batteries and variety of film speeds
· Spare memory card and battery for digital cameras
· Travel-size binoculars
· Sunglasses
· Day pack/backpack
· You can dress down just a bit. Jeans are acceptable/desirable for daytime wear. Bring
rain wear, waterproof footwear, wool socks, a warm sweater, a wind-proof shell, warm gloves, and a
stocking cap. Although you may not NEED this much if the weather is warmer, cold (low 50's), windy
and rainy weather is not uncommon along the coast of Alaska.

Essentials

· airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation
· cruise documents
· passports and visas (if necessary) or proof of citizenship (check with your cruise line for requirements)
· vaccination certificate (if required)
· wallet and fanny pack
· driver's license and auto insurance card - in case you decide to rent a car when ashore
· medical insurance cards and medical history (especially if traveling alone)
· another picture ID - if you don't take driver's license
· credit cards - be sure to call credit card companies before traveling to alert them you are traveling outside your normal area ATM card
· watch
· pre-paid phone card
· cash or traveler's checks (be sure to keep traveler's checks receipt in separate location)
· 3 copies of airline tickets, cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and
· leave one copy with someone at home
· contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit cards or traveler's checks
· emergency numbers at home
· prescription drugs and any other essential medications in carry on bag
· glasses, contacs, contac cleaner
· extra reading glasses
· sunglasses
· reading sunglasses
· guidebooks and other port of call information
· foreign language phrase book or dictionary
· maps
· reading material - books to read while on the plane or lounging by the pool
· journal or notebook and pen/pencil - for making notes to tell your friends back home about your experiences
· business cards with email address to give out to new cruise friends
· currency conversion chart
· plug adaptor and converter
· cell phone and charger
· PDA and charger
· home and email addresses of friends/relatives back home - for sending postcards, emails, or gifts
· laptop computer
· binoculars
· film camera and manual
· extra film (don't put undeveloped film in checked luggage)
· disposable underwater camera - for snorkeling or beach days
· digital camera and manual
· extra memory cards for digital camera
· batteries for digital camera
· battery charger
· extension cord with multiple plug-ins
· duct tape or strapping tape
· walkman and tapes (for walking on deck or on treadmill)
· small travel alarm clock - battery operated
· lighted dial clock for cruise ship cabin
· extra plastic cable-lock ties for securing luggage for return trip (better than locks, but one-time use only)
· extra luggage name tags (in case yours are lost on the outbound trip)
· zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bags
· small flashlight
· night light
· ear plugs or "ear planes"
· small first aid kit (band aids, Q-tips, vaseline, dramamine, antibiotic cream, bandages, anti-diarrheal medication, cortisone
· cream, aspirin/tylenol/advil)
· Crazy glue
· playing cards
· bug spray (not for your cabin on the ship, but for those pesky mosquitoes and "nonos" ashore)
· sun screen/sun block and lip sunblock
· germicidal hand cleaner
· handi-wipes
· hand lotion
· rubbing alcohol or foot lotion for soothing tired, hot feet
· sewing kit and scissors (pack in checked luggage)
· travel-sized Woolite
· clothes pins
· empty folding tote bag - for souvenirs or the beach
· hats/caps/visors
· DUCK TAPE is a must!!![/b

THINK THIS WILL COVER EVERYTHING FOR YOU!!!!
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Winterpeg,
Wow, I won't try to compete with that last list, it would take me a week to read all of it. They must not have a 50 lb limit on their airline. Thats how I pack when I drive somewhere!

We have been to Alaska twice with at least a week each time touring on our own plus week southbound cruise from Anc to Vanc. Your level of warm clothes depends on your nature and what you are used to. I tend to run hot and I took a couple of long sleeves, a sweater, light rain windbreaker and a lightly lined jacket. Everytime I wore the heavier jacket I ended up taking it off as I got hot inside the ship or buildings or tours. It would come in handy at the glaciers. My wife wore long sleeves, a sweater or sweatshirt and a lined jacket and was not hot. But then she has no padding.

For shoes, I take tennis shoes and light weight hiking shoes (heavy tennis shoes). I spray both as well as my hats with waterproofing spray and had no problem You might want something for your ears for glaciers, ie, hood, hat or ear covers.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska CLothing

I just sent that list for you/all to review. as it covers it all. The Intention was not to say......TAKE IT ALL..
Living in WINTERPEG ...I would think a cruiser is well groomed to go to ALASKA.. anyways!!!

CHEERS!!