Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Beginner

Default How does a balcony stateroom sleep 4 people?

We are looking into booking a family vacation on the Caribbean Princess this summer but are concerned with the sleeping arrangements. The description for a 'oceanview balcony' lists 2 twin beds that can be pushed together. Where are my 2 kids going to sleep? The picture in the brochure shows a king bed & a desk/chair in the room. We would really appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Some of the balcony cabins do have one or two upper berths that pull down from the wall at night to sleep two additional people. Look carefully at the deck plans and those that have this option will be marked as accommodating a third and or fourth person. You may find yourself a bit crowded as the rooms are somewhat small. Talk to your TA and find out if you can get a mini-suite at a decent price. I think you would be happier with the added room it provides.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: How does a balcony stateroom sleep 4 people?

mmjjcrew,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are looking into booking a family vacation on the Caribbean Princess this summer but are concerned with the sleeping arrangements. The description for a 'oceanview balcony' lists 2 twin beds that can be pushed together. Where are my 2 kids going to sleep? The picture in the brochure shows a king bed & a desk/chair in the room. We would really appreciate your help!
As another poster noted, some of the standard cabins -- both with and without balconies have upper berths that may fold against the bulkhead or lift into the overhead. Your cabin steward will do this for you, so don't worry about it.

That said, I have to agree that any standard cabin would be rather cramped if occupied by four people, whether it has a balcony or not, regardless of the age of the children. Nonetheless, there are several other options.

>> 1. A minisuite or, if you can swing it, a small full suite would provide more room. These cabins also have a table and chairs where your children can play games or do other activities if they wish. If you opt for this arrangement, the "third" and "fourth" berths probably will be a queen size sofa bed in the cabin's sitting area so you might want to consider putting the children in the main beds, made up as twins, and Mom and Dad in the sofabed.

>> 2. If your children are teenagers or nearly so, you could book them in a separate inside cabin near your balcony cabin. The only real drawback to this arrangement is that you will pay the regular fare rather than the reduced fare for third and fourth berths for your children. The catch is that your children need to be mature enough to stay by themselves in a completely separate cabin.

>> 3. Adjoining cabins also would be a viable option, though once again this means paying the regular fare rather than the reduced "upper berth" fare for the children. If cost is an issue, you probably can get adjoining inside cabins for about the same total cost as a balcony cabin with third and fourth berths occupied. And if the children are small, they should not be in a balcony cabin -- where they might get out onto the balcony and start climing on or through the rails without your knowledge -- in any case. The additional space of this arrangement probably would enhance your cruise a lot more than a balcony!

Anyway, your call. Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Besides the pull down bunk beds, the cabin may have a sleeper sofa. I have had both types of cabins on cruises even though there were only two of us at the time.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Beginner

I have a quad balcony cabin booked for Alaska on the Sapphire
Princess. I was told it is set up in a twin bed configuration. I saw a picture of a quad balcony on an older Princess ship and am concerned, as it showed four bunk beds folded down against the wall and you walk between them to get to the balcony outside. I am really hoping that the Sapphire is set up differently. I am hoping that the beds are set up like a typical standard double with beds that can push together and two beds coming out of the celing/wall. Can anyone tell me how these beds are set up on Sapphire? I would upgrade to a larger room, however Princess doesn't have any bigger suites to accomodate four people. I would love a picture!! Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshauna
I have a quad balcony cabin booked for Alaska on the Sapphire
Princess. I was told it is set up in a twin bed configuration. I saw a picture of a quad balcony on an older Princess ship and am concerned, as it showed four bunk beds folded down against the wall and you walk between them to get to the balcony outside. I am really hoping that the Sapphire is set up differently. I am hoping that the beds are set up like a typical standard double with beds that can push together and two beds coming out of the celing/wall. Can anyone tell me how these beds are set up on Sapphire? I would love a picture!!
Here's a diagram of a cabin with balcony. The third and fourth berths drop down from the overhead. I should warn you that access to the upper berths may be tricky if you have the lower berths made up as a queen rather than as twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I would upgrade to a larger room, however Princess doesn't have any bigger suites to accomodate four people.
Not true. In fact, the deck plans of MV Sapphire Princess show quite a few minisuites configured to sleep four on the Dolphin Deck and the Baja Deck has a couple full suites, located aft, that also will sleep four. Of course, these cabins might be booked for the date that you booked but they might be available on another sailing date.

Norm.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Default QUAD blacony

Thanks for the diagram, however, it is a diagram of a double with a balcony. I was wanting to know if it is layed out differently since it is a QUAD. I canot find any personal pics that anyone took of a QUAD balcony. I am okay if they are above and we can push the beds together on the bottom (the kids don't need to get out of bed at night anyway) but if they don't even psh together and we are looking at four bunks that you walk between to get to the balcony, I will definitely be disappointed. One reason I love Carnival...bigger rooms and nice layouts for four people without being cramped!! Cost less too!!