Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default how does crown princess compare to voyager class on RCL?

I've been on 3 other cruises, all royal carribean. and it's been at least 4 years since my last one. 2 were voyager class ships. how do you think my upcoming cruise on the crown princess will compare? any opinions? so looking forward to this cruise, just wondering how the experience will differ. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: how does crown princess compare to voyager class on RCL?

redcruzer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've been on 3 other cruises, all royal carribean. and it's been at least 4 years since my last one. 2 were voyager class ships. how do you think my upcoming cruise on the crown princess will compare? any opinions? so looking forward to this cruise, just wondering how the experience will differ. thanks
Princess is a "premium" cruise line whereas Royal Caribbean is a "mainstream" cruise line, so Princess theoretically should have a higher standard of service and a few more amenities. Alas, in reality, Princess seems to have moved to the bottom of the "premium" tier and Royal Caribbean seems to have moved to the top of the "mainstream" tier so they probably will be pretty comparable overall. You probably will find some differences, but they are likely to cut both ways.

Norm.
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Admiral

We enjoy both Princess and RCI and have found the service great on both. We like the cabins on RCI with the extra space around the vanity mirror and shelves under the TV. On RCI we had shower doors and on Princess, a shower curtain. We really like the 2 story formal dining rooms with chandeliers on RCI. Princess dining rooms are 1 story with twinkling lights. Another thing I like better about RCI vs Princess is the buffet on the Lido deck. The Windjammer is better laid out and has a larger, nicer flow. The Horizon Court has no flow and has very narrow aisles and gets crowded with everyone going both directons. The coffee is much better on Princess. Each cruise line has their pluses and minuses.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

[size=24][/size]I would like to take this opportunity to quote Cruz Nut-------Norm - for someone who hasn't sailed on Princess for 3 or 4 years, you sure post a lot about things you're really not sure about. Maybe it's time you tried Princess again -OR stick to postings at Celebrity and RCI as a stockholder and traveler on those lines.
Jim
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Admiral

jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
[size=24][/size]I would like to take this opportunity to quote Cruz Nut-------Norm - for someone who hasn't sailed on Princess for 3 or 4 years, you sure post a lot about things you're really not sure about. Maybe it's time you tried Princess again -OR stick to postings at Celebrity and RCI as a stockholder and traveler on those lines.
If you think that I said something that was inaccurate, a post stating your opinion would be much more helpful to the OP than a comment like this. The fact that you failed to point out any specific errors in my comments is an indication that my comments were basically accurate, even though you may wish otherwise.

And FYI, as an investor in the cruise industry, I do a lot of research into what's happening on all of the major cruise lines -- and this includes a lot of time spend talking to people who DO cruise on the lines on which I do not cruise personally.

Norm.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Norm,have changed my name from big apple to tennisbum which more suits my personality.For the record We have numerous cruises on both Celebrity and Rcl and for the record we just sailed on Star Princess and then followed the next week on Caribbean Princess. Have not been on this line since they bought out Sitmar many years ago.This line is a must for those who have not travelled with them most recently. The entertainment is far better than Celebrity and also aboce RCL.Bert Stratton on the Caribbean Princess is considered the best entertainer on all cruise lines with many taking the cruise just to hear him.Standing room only each nite in the piano bar and then 2 nites in one of the major lounges.The champagne pyramid the second nite in the atrium is a real treatAnytime dining works like a charm and we never waited at any time frame.The 2 alternative restaurants are excellent with a reasonable price compared to the other cruise lines.Try it in the near future and you will be pleasantly surprised.The cold seafood buffet is ti die for on Carib.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm,have changed my name from big apple to tennisbum which more suits my personality.For the record We have numerous cruises on both Celebrity and Rcl and for the record we just sailed on Star Princess and then followed the next week on Caribbean Princess. Have not been on this line since they bought out Sitmar many years ago.This line is a must for those who have not travelled with them most recently.
If you are referring to the line's decisions like the end of "semiformal' evenings (which led to more passengers who don't want to dress up and thus disregard the dress codes), the conversion of all but one main dining room aboard heach ship to "Anytime Dining" (which made it very difficult for those of us who want "Traditional Dining" to get it), the end of flaming desserts and a major cutback in onboard entertainment to cut costs in 2001-2002, you are talking about the very changes that motivated me to look elsewhere. I will not be returning to Princess Cruises so long as these policies remain in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The entertainment is far better than Celebrity and also aboce RCL.Bert Stratton on the Caribbean Princess is considered the best entertainer on all cruise lines with many taking the cruise just to hear him.Standing room only each nite in the piano bar and then 2 nites in one of the major lounges.
I thought the same of Celebrity's entertainment when I saw their shows for the first time after thirteen (13) cruises on Princess. A lot of it is the newness factor.

And I'm seeing many of the same headliners, etc., on Celebrity that I saw on Princess in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The champagne pyramid the second nite in the atrium is a real treat
Been there, done that... thirteen times, in fact! And it is not the same without the crepes souzettes and the complimentary champagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Anytime dining works like a charm and we never waited at any time frame.
Not my style. I like having the same table and the same tablemates, and thus a chance to form new friendships that it provides. I also like the superior service provided by waiters and assistants who get to know my preferences on the first evening or two and do what I prefer without being asked thereafer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The 2 alternative restaurants are excellent with a reasonable price compared to the other cruise lines.Try it in the near future and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Princess's main dining rooms offered an excellent variety of featured cuisine over the course of a cruise, so I never saw a need to go to their specialty restaurants -- and have been aboard ships that have had all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The cold seafood buffet is ti die for on Carib.
Again, not my thing. Living on the coast of New England, I'm accustomed to very fresh seafood....

And there's one more factor that you should realize. MV Grand Princess has the most dysfunctional layout of any ship on which I have ever cruised, and seven of Princess's ships (MV Golden Princess, MV Star Princess, MV Diamond Princess, MV Sapphire Princess, MV Caribbean Princess, MV Crown Princess, and MV Emerald Princess) have copied substantially all of the mistakes. Thus, the only Princess ships on which I would even remotely consider cruising right now are MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, MV Pacific Princess, MV Tahitian Princess, MV Coral Princess, MV Island Princess, and MV Royal Princess.

Celebrity seems to be the major cruise line that's closest to the Princess Cruises of the late 1990's, which is what I really liked best. As long as that remains the case, Celebrity will continue to get my business.

But if you really like the new Princess, enjoy!

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Admiral

Oh, my gosh!

Norm - according to your own posts when RCI was in the process of buying Princess and along came Mickey Arenson of Carnival and did it, you said you'd never sail on Princess again. Nothing to do with Anytime dining vs Traditional, you just did not like Carnival taking over. Sold your Princess stock and bought RCI. That's your right.

But, I get so tired of you posting negatives about Princess when you haven't sailed on it for a number of years and are not up-to-date even if you research (I guess that means other people's comments on the boards) what's going on.

Anytime Dining uses one dining room; Traditional uses another ... very simple. If you book far enough in advance, there's NO problem in getting Traditional if that's what you want - and I do want and get it. The Specialty restaurants are available - you don't have to go to them. I've tried the Cajun (before they added the Steakhouse) on the Island and didn't like cuz I don't like spicy foods; I haven't tried Sabatinis only cuz I don't want so much food (they have now cut back the number of courses so may try it on my next cruise); I went to the Steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess and it was outstanding. In both cases, the prices for these specialty restaurants were LESS than Muranos on the expanded Century. Muranos was excellent - ate there 3 nights out of a 5 nighter.

The semi-formal nights were changed to Smart Casual - the kind of dress you would see at a country club ... people are not dressing "down" because of the change in name.

Gee whiz no flaming desserts - that sure would make me change my mind about cruising on a ship.

Agree with Tennisbum - Bert Stratton is outstanding and Princess's entertainment is just as good if not better than either Celebrity's or RCIs. Would have to give RCI an A+ for the ice show, but very few passengers use the rink. And, Celebrity would get an F for the Cirque d'soluel mess which has now been removed.

The champagne pyramid is still outstanding - AND you do get FREE champagne and hors d'oevres. One lady travelling for the first time on Princess asked if they did it on every trip - and when I replied yes, she said she was going to be travelling on Princess a great deal more.

As to the Anytime Dining and the wait staff - if you find a table and time you like, you can book it for the rest of the cruise with the same wait staff who will know your likes and dislikes.

I very much doubt that you have sailed on the Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Caribbean, Crown (definitely not on the Emerald because it hasn't even been christened yet) ... and kind of doubt that you've been on the Coral or the Island.

Princess gives you excellent food and service with a smile ... RCI's food is mediocre at best and very little choice as to something other than the main menu plus the wait staff are just doing a job - forget the smiles. Same goes for the room stewards.

When I was on the expanded Century for the New Year's cruise, the dining room food was appalling on the 4 nights I ate there - Muranos was an entirely different matter. (And, if you're wondering about the math, it was a back-to-back ... 5 nighter and 2 nighter.)

Princess is still a Premium line and RCI is way below Mainstream - Celebrity is also below Princess.

Princess also offers a much better price per cabin.

And, if you pay a $100 deposit per person for future travel, you have 4 years to book it and don't have to make the balance of the payment until final payment PLUS if you have an outside cabin, you get a $100 credit on board per person ($75 for inside cabin). How can you beat that!

Celebrity and RCI have now FORCED the TAs to cut back on any incentives ... that happened with Renaissance, too and where are they now? Bought out by other lines.

All around Princess not only offers a better deal but gives you better food, happier crew and good entertainment while maintaining a high standard of a Premium line.

You presume because you didn't get specific comments to your post that you were therefore accurate in your assessment. These are specific comments and you DEFINITELY are not accurate in your constant NEGATIVE posts about Princess.

Until you again have FIRST HAND knowledge of Princess, why don't you stick to posting on the threads of the lines you DO sail on - i.e. RCI and Celebrity.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzNut
Oh, my gosh!

Norm - according to your own posts when RCI was in the process of buying Princess and along came Mickey Arenson of Carnival and did it, you said you'd never sail on Princess again. Nothing to do with Anytime dining vs Traditional, you just did not like Carnival taking over. Sold your Princess stock and bought RCI. That's your right.

But, I get so tired of you posting negatives about Princess when you haven't sailed on it for a number of years and are not up-to-date even if you research (I guess that means other people's comments on the boards) what's going on.

Anytime Dining uses one dining room; Traditional uses another ... very simple. If you book far enough in advance, there's NO problem in getting Traditional if that's what you want - and I do want and get it. The Specialty restaurants are available - you don't have to go to them. I've tried the Cajun (before they added the Steakhouse) on the Island and didn't like cuz I don't like spicy foods; I haven't tried Sabatinis only cuz I don't want so much food (they have now cut back the number of courses so may try it on my next cruise); I went to the Steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess and it was outstanding. In both cases, the prices for these specialty restaurants were LESS than Muranos on the expanded Century. Muranos was excellent - ate there 3 nights out of a 5 nighter.

The semi-formal nights were changed to Smart Casual - the kind of dress you would see at a country club ... people are not dressing "down" because of the change in name.

Gee whiz no flaming desserts - that sure would make me change my mind about cruising on a ship.

Agree with Tennisbum - Bert Stratton is outstanding and Princess's entertainment is just as good if not better than either Celebrity's or RCIs. Would have to give RCI an A+ for the ice show, but very few passengers use the rink. And, Celebrity would get an F for the Cirque d'soluel mess which has now been removed.

The champagne pyramid is still outstanding - AND you do get FREE champagne and hors d'oevres. One lady travelling for the first time on Princess asked if they did it on every trip - and when I replied yes, she said she was going to be travelling on Princess a great deal more.

As to the Anytime Dining and the wait staff - if you find a table and time you like, you can book it for the rest of the cruise with the same wait staff who will know your likes and dislikes.

I very much doubt that you have sailed on the Star, Diamond, Sapphire, Caribbean, Crown (definitely not on the Emerald because it hasn't even been christened yet) ... and kind of doubt that you've been on the Coral or the Island.

Princess gives you excellent food and service with a smile ... RCI's food is mediocre at best and very little choice as to something other than the main menu plus the wait staff are just doing a job - forget the smiles. Same goes for the room stewards.

When I was on the expanded Century for the New Year's cruise, the dining room food was appalling on the 4 nights I ate there - Muranos was an entirely different matter. (And, if you're wondering about the math, it was a back-to-back ... 5 nighter and 2 nighter.)

Princess is still a Premium line and RCI is way below Mainstream - Celebrity is also below Princess.

And, if you pay a $100 deposit per person for future travel, you have 4 years to book it and don't have to make the balance of the payment until final payment PLUS if you have an outside cabin, you get a $100 credit on board per person ($75 for inside cabin). How can you beat that!

Celebrity and RCI have now FORCED the TAs to cut back on any incentives ... that happened with Renaissance, too and where are they now? Bought out by other lines.

All around Princess not only offers a better deal but gives you better food, happier crew and good entertainment while maintaining a high standard of a Premium line.

You presume because you didn't get specific comments to your post that you were therefore accurate in your assessment. These are specific comments and you DEFINITELY are not accurate in your constant NEGATIVE posts about Princess.

Until you again have FIRST HAND knowledge of Princess, why don't you stick to posting on the threads of the lines you DO sail on - i.e. RCI and Celebrity.
Was on Princess 7 times..the went to RCCl and well never go back on a princess ship...To say that rccl is not as good as princesss is funny to me...ther ships are hands down better and to me the foof i have had on rccl has ben better then on any of my 7 cruies with the princess line...to one ther own...ic an tell you they are both way better tehn carnival..
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

CruzNut,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The vote by the parent company's shareholders to merge operations with Carnival Corporation, changing the company's name to Carnival Plc., was only the proverbial last straw that cemented the decision. There was also growing frustration with the changes in policies and especially the difficulty in getting "Traditional Dining" on many of Princess's ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I really don't see as my comments were that negative. I said that there are certain things that I dislike on Princess, but I also said quite clearly that other peoples' preferences may be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Anytime Dining uses one dining room; Traditional uses another ... very simple. If you book far enough in advance, there's NO problem in getting Traditional if that's what you want - and I do want and get it.
Yes, I am quite well aware of the arrangement, and how it works -- and often fails to work. My last half dozen or so cruises with Princess were after the introduction of the "Personal Choice Cruising" concept.

But requesting "Traditional Dining" when you book does not guarantee that you will get it even if it's confirmed when you book. I have had "Traditional Dining" confirmed at time of booking and found that I was stuck in "Anytime Dining" anyway, apparently because Princess decided to accommoda a large group that booked after me and wanted "Traditional Dining." And I have also consistently noticed a lot of empty tables in the dining room that offers "Traditional Dining" because a significant number of passengers book "Traditional Dining" and then decide to do "Anytime Dining" when they get aboard the ship, but don't bother to tell anybody. The line really needs to be more proactive in contacting passengers assigned to "Traditional Dining" who don't show up for two or three nights and asking their intent so that they can free up tables for passengers who are on the waiting list.

On my Dad's last Princess cruise, aboard MV Golden Princess IIRC, he was number 479 on the waiting list for first seating of Traditional Dining. With enough people requesting either seating of "Traditional Dining" to fill another dining room, the ship most assuredly should have shifted one of the two dining rooms that normally operate "Anytime Dining" to "Traditional Dining," at least for that seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The Specialty restaurants are available - you don't have to go to them.
That's right.

But if you look again at my reply to Tim, you'll notice that I made a very positive comment about Princess's menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've tried the Cajun (before they added the Steakhouse) on the Island and didn't like cuz I don't like spicy foods; I haven't tried Sabatinis only cuz I don't want so much food (they have now cut back the number of courses so may try it on my next cruise); I went to the Steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess and it was outstanding. In both cases, the prices for these specialty restaurants were LESS than Muranos on the expanded Century. Muranos was excellent - ate there 3 nights out of a 5 nighter.
Yes, but the service and cuisine in Princess's specialty restaurants are not anywhere near as elaborate as in Celebrity's specialty restaurants.

BTW, I don't make a regular habit of dining in Celebrity's specialty restaurants, either. If my dinner table decides to go, I go along, but otherwise I don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Aha, another individual who's confused by the term "smart casual" -- whcih, according to Princess's explanations, means exactly what "casual" meant before the "semiformal" evenings went away. Note that the evenings previously listed as "casual" -- including the first and last -- also are now listed as "smart casual." The real change is that the evenings that previously were "semiformal" became "casual." The change in terminology from "casual" to "smart casual" seems to be an attempt to communicate to the socially clueless that "casual" evening attire does not include bluejeans, shorts, "T" shirts, etc.

Also, I was not saying that people dress down because of the name. Rather, I said that the decision to drop the "semiformal" evenings has drawn a lot more passengers who want to dress down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Agree with Tennisbum - Bert Stratton is outstanding and Princess's entertainment is just as good if not better than either Celebrity's or RCIs.
Again, I think that novelty plays a role in one's impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Would have to give RCI an A+ for the ice show, but very few passengers use the rink. And, Celebrity would get an F for the Cirque d'soluel mess which has now been removed.
Well, it was an effort to do something innovative that bombed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "You
Okay, I'm glad to hear that they came out with something to replace the crepes suzettes and that the chmapagne is back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, I'm aware of that. Of course, that does not bring stable tablemates so it does not solve the whole problem. Indeed, a solo traveller who does that may well end up dining alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That's right, but it does not alter the fact that seven of Princess's ships copied the screw-ups in layout of the worst ship on which I have ever cruised.

And BTW, I think that the Sun Princess class has the best layout of any ships on which I have cruised, so the comment about MV Grand Princess is NOT about bashing the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, that was alwasy my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The menus in Celebrity's main dining rooms admittedly are NOT for everybody. If you don't like French cuisine, they grow old pretty quickly. Princess does offer a much better variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
In that case, I don't know what you think "mainstream" is but in the cruise industry it's Royal Caribbean International, Carnival, and Norwegian Cruise Line. And of those, most people put Royal Caribbean on top.

As to Celebrity and Princess, conoisseurs -- including the readers of Cnnde-Nast magazine -- clearly rank them the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Only because it has to offer a lower price per cabin to fill the cabins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Yes, Princess has a better onboard booking program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Don't think that Canrival Corporation was not in on the "thou shalt not's" to the travel agencies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
That's your opinon. Again, it's not exactly universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If you think that your diatribe is going to cause me to stop posting, guess again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I DO have first-hand knowledge, with thirteen cruises on the line over the period when these changes occurred.

Norm.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh My God!!! Some of these post have gotten out of hand! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions whether the person who's reading it agrees or disagrees.
I myself have cruised with Carnivial, RCCL and for the first time I will be crusing with Princess in October. Regardless of what other people post I at least read what they have to say because whether the post is positive or negative...I know I won't let it make or break the time I spend on my cruise! It's what each individual makes out of their time on each ship!
Happy Sailing To Everyone!!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Who knew my simple little question was going to cause all of this trouble........sorry!!!