Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default crown up grade???

I called princess and was told am on the list to get a free upgrade if it becomes avilable. What do you seasoned travelers think will we get an upgrade or not?? We did not get a garentee, none were given we have our cabin number with a free upgrade. so let me know what you guys think.
thanks
viv
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Congradulations on the possible upgrade!

May I ask what category you're in right now, and what your upgrade will be?

Based on my research, here's how upgrades are usually done:
  • * Guests who are frequent travelers with a cruise line are more likely to be upgraded.
    * Guests who paid a higher fares than other guests for the same category are more likely to get upgraded.
    * Guests who book far in advance are more likely to be rewarded with an upgrade.
    * Guests originally booked in categories that the cruise line does not have many cabins available are more likely to get an upgrade.
    * Guests with a "guarantee" booking instead of an "assigned" cabin are more likely to be upgraded

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Passenger

AlaskaGolden is righ on. When I book my cabin I always get guarantee, and at the lowers priced catgory for that type of room. Sometimes the ony change is that I'm located Mid-Ship and sometimes a deck or two above, and the sooner I book my room (up to a year) the better the upgrade. When they have gone as far as they can you will be assigned a room number. Yes I have cruised with princess alot and that helps also.
Caribbean Princess-2004
Sea Princess-2002
Golden Princess-2001
Royal Caribbean Grander of the Sea 2000
Grand Princess-1998
Star Princess (Old)-1997
Sun Princess-1996
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver

Then again, sometimes it seems there is "no rhyme nor reason" why a person receives an upgrade. It is just a whim of what some refer to as the "upgrade fairy".
We had only been on two previous Princess cruises when we were upgraded on the Caribbean Princess from a mini suite (guarantee) to a full Penthouse suite.
Just got off the Island Princess to Hawaii and talked to a couple who have sailed 80 times with Princess and they had never received an upgrade like that! Just dumb luck sometimes. We usually book a year or so in advance.
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

A couple years ago we were booked on a ship in a specific cabin and the cruiseline called our TA and ASKED if they could move us because a family wanted 3 cabins together. In exchange they would upgrade us to a larger cabin on the same deck and $300 shipboard credit. After checking it out, we took the new cabin. It was nice that they asked.

My sister and BIL booked a guaranteed cabin and got a upgrade once. It was an upgrade from H.... It was up a couple of decks BUT right under the galley. It was so noisy, they loss sleep. They complained many times, sometimes at 3 or 4 in the morning to no avail. There were no other cabins available. I would have written a letter when I returned but they didn't. This is why we always choose our cabin and never worry or wish for an upgrade. From now on they will pick their room, between passenger decks only.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302