Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2
Default First time cruisers

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are first time cruisers on the Golden Princess. We are sailing Oct. 6, 2007 in stateroom C322 to the Mexican Riviera. Do we have a good room.We are so excited. I asked about the spinning because my husband wants to make sure he will be able to excercise. Has anyone used the gym and what do you think about it. My husband does not want to dress up, but he is willing to wear a pair of really nice black slacks and silk sweater with a dark brown designer sport jacket. Will this outfit be okay for formal night? We have the traditional seating, however my husband wanted the anytime seating. Our TA encouraged us to get the traditional and change to the anytime after the first night, if we did not like the traditional because it it is hard to get traditional after the ship sails. Has any one purchased wine and champagne in the Port of Los Angeles and took it on board. How much can you take. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

cqueen1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband and I are first time cruisers on the Golden Princess. We are sailing Oct. 6, 2007 in stateroom C322 to the Mexican Riviera. Do we have a good room.We are so excited. I asked about the spinning because my husband wants to make sure he will be able to excercise. Has anyone used the gym and what do you think about it.
Princess's gyms are about as well equipped as any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My husband does not want to dress up, but he is willing to wear a pair of really nice black slacks and silk sweater with a dark brown designer sport jacket. Will this outfit be okay for formal night?
No, absolutely not. On the "formal" evenings, the proper attire for gentlemen is either "black tie" (that is, either a dinner jacket outfit or a tuxedo) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We have the traditional seating, however my husband wanted the anytime seating. Our TA encouraged us to get the traditional and change to the anytime after the first night, if we did not like the traditional because it it is hard to get traditional after the ship sails.
Your travel agent is correct about the difficulty of changing to "traditional dining" once you are aboard Princess's ships, and I think that you are better off with the "traditional dining" arrangement. In my experience, the service suffers badly in "anytime dining" because passengers in "anytime dining" generally don't have the same waitstaff every night. Also, the practical reality is that the seatings of "traditional dining" are timed to align with the shows and other evening events, so many passengers in "anytime dining" end up eating within a few minutes of the scheduled seatings of "traditional dining" anyway.

But if you do decide to change to "anytime dining," please do your fellow passengers the favor of communicating that decision to the maitre d'hotel so that he can accommodate whomever is next on the waiting list for your seating in "traditional dining." It's not fair to other passengers to keep a reservation in "traditional dining" that you don't intend to use.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 271
Default

Disagree with norm on dining service in anytime dining.We just got off of both the Star and Carib and used anytime dining in both cases and the sevice was excellent in all cases and in the past we have always used traditional dining on numerous cruise lines.The only difference would be if you desired something special you ordered every nite such as cheese plate, expresso ,and shrimp cocktail.We always ate arround 8:00 and never waited even one minute and were not rushed ever during the meal.The only wait might come if you insisted on table for two.If you have not tried this proceedure one should as you will meet many interesting people from all walks of life.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
danacline's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 275
Default

I'm also going to have to disagree with Norm. We did the Grand a couple of weeks ago, with cabins on the Caribe deck you mention. They were nice because the deck above and below were also cabins, so no noise because you're over the casino or under the pool deck.

We did the anytime dining, and after the second night we started asking to be seated in the same waiter's area...most nights they were able to seat us there. And the anytime part fits our wildly variable schedule better <g>.

While I agree with Norm that you _should_ dress formal on formal nights, they were certainly seating families for dinner those nights that were barely even casual. I don't think anyone would actually complain about dark slacks, silk sweater, and dark sport coat (see if you can get him to add a bow tie or bolo tie to the mix!).

The ship itself is HUGE! I actually lost 5 pounds on that cruise due to the amount of walking (and stairs) I did...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24
Default

we are going on princess soon, and my boyfriend broke his arm and is in a cast. he certainly cannot wear long sleeves, never mind a suit jacket for formal night, so he is wearing a pair of black ants, and a short sleeve button down shirt with a tie. it's going to have to do!!! like it or not!! i've been on cruises where MANY people are not dressed in tuxes. what your boyfriend is wearing will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

tennisbum,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Disagree with norm on dining service in anytime dining.We just got off of both the Star and Carib and used anytime dining in both cases and the sevice was excellent in all cases and in the past we have always used traditional dining on numerous cruise lines.The only difference would be if you desired something special you ordered every nite such as cheese plate, expresso ,and shrimp cocktail.
There's more to it than that. It's having things happen in the way that you want without having to ask all over again each evening. And to some of us, that is huge. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We always ate arround 8:00 and never waited even one minute and were not rushed ever during the meal.The only wait might come if you insisted on table for two.If you have not tried this proceedure one should as you will meet many interesting people from all walks of life.
I never said -- or even remotely suggested -- that waits are a problem in Princess's "anytime dining." My point about timing was simply that the scheduling of other events will dictate that most people wil choose to dine within a few minutes of the scheduled seatings of "Traditional Dining." IOW, the supposed "freedom" of "anytime dining" is more illusion than reality.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 64
Default

Yes the gym is great and their is a running track. We ask for and received the same tabe every night with anytime dinning, and our waiter was glad that we did. If you can add a tie to that outfit it might help. But as others have said it will be OK. The price of wine is not to bad, and if you have it with your meal, they(the waiter) will keep if for you in the dinning area, and bring it out every night. For wine for your room, I just put it in my bags to be sent to my room. If you hand carry your bags (which I hate)I do not know if you can bring it on board. If you buy any in Mexico, the ship will not let you keep it in your room. It will be given to you at the end of the cruise. Have a great trip and have fun!
__________________
Caribbean Princess Jan 07 2007
Sun Princess May 2006
Island Princess Mar-2005
Caribbean Princess-2004
Sea Princess-2002
Golden Princess-2001
Royal Caribbean Grander of the Sea 2000
Grand Princess-1998
Star Princess (Old)-1997
Sun Princess-1996
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time cruisers cruisincarl Norwegian Cruise Lines 2 January 7th, 2006 08:44 AM
First time cruisers debsmouse Alaska 4 July 10th, 2005 06:41 PM
First time cruisers JessiAngel Royal Caribbean International 8 January 17th, 2004 12:43 PM
First Time Cruisers stevenkate Royal Caribbean International 7 September 29th, 2003 12:39 PM
First time cruisers Linda Ask CruiseMates Staff 2 April 17th, 2001 06:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1