Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Default Handicapped cabin

We are new to this type of vacation. We've booked a handicapped room with a balcony, aboard the Crown Princess. Are we going to be happy with this set up? Some say it is a much larger cabin, almost a mini-suite.
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Admiral

KBrown4461,

Quote:
We are new to this type of vacation. We've booked a handicapped room with a balcony, aboard the Crown Princess. Are we going to be happy with this set up? Some say it is a much larger cabin, almost a mini-suite.
We really can't answer your question because we don't know your tastes, lifestyle, preferences, etc., but there are two aspects that you need to consider.

>> 1. Regarding choice of cruise line, each cruise line has its own unique style. To illustrate some of the differences, some cruise lines maintain the tradition of dressing up, with "informal" or "semiformal" evenings in addition to the "semiformal" evenings and relatively few "casual" evenings while other cruise lines now feature "casual" dress on all of the evenings that are not "formal," and a few cruise lines have dropped "dressing up" completely in favor of evening "casual" attire every evening. There are also significant differences in how formal the "formal" evenings really are (anything from true "modified formal" -- that is, "black tie" or dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit -- to sport coat and tie acceptable) and how casual the "casual" evenings really are (usually defined by whether or not it's acceptable to wear bluejeans, be they designer or otherwise). Some cruise lines maintain the tradition of two formal seatings for dinner, whereas others have gone to "open seating" arrangements in which the dining rooms operate like restaurants ashore -- and Princess actually offers both arrangements, in separate dining rooms that serve the same menus, aboard all ships except MV Pacific Princess, MV Tahitian Princess, and MV Royal Princess. Some cruise lines cater to active people with rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks (complete with Zambonis), waterslides, pool games, basketball or volleyball tournaments, etc., while other ships focus on educational activities like enrichment lectures, computer classes, and culinary demonstrations. And some cruise lines aggressively solicit participation in their activities with lots of announcements over the public address system and activities staffs who aggressively cajole passengers into participation while other cruise lines refrain from such disturbances to their passengers' siestas on deck. You obviously will gain maximum enjoyment by picking a cruise line that's a good match for your personal style. If you have not gone through the exercise of reading the reviews of the various cruise lines in a travel guide, I would urge you to do so before committing to any line as that will give you a good sense of which lines might be best for you.

>> 2. Regarding the cabin, and reading between the lines (perhaps incorrectly -- and if so, I apologize) in your post, I'm getting the sense that you're not handicapped but that somebody talked you into booking an ADA (handicapped) cabin because offers more space for the same price. If so, I would urge you to reconsider unless it's the only cabin available in your category for two reasons. First, that could deprive a handicapped individual who really needs such a cabin of an opportunity to take a cruise. And second, the only thing that an ADA cabin provides is more space. In fact, much of the "more space" is simply room to maneuver wheelchairs, whereas a minisuite would provide a sitting area in the additional space. Also, a significant amount of the additional space is in the head, where handicapped individuals need to maneuver their wheelchairs next to the toilet and the shower (larger, and equipped with a seat, compared to a standard cabin). Additionally, many of the facilities in an ADA cabin, like counters and the sink in the head, are at heights that are suitable for wheelchairs and thus may be uncomfortably low for able bodied individuals. But, again, if my impression is wrong and you or your spouse or companion really are handicapped, an ADA cabin would be just what you need.

Overall, Princess's standard cabins are compact and efficient but quite adequate for two people. There are two twin beds, which can make up as a queen, and there's a refrigerator, a television, a vanity/desk, and a head that, as compact as it is, has plenty of room for all of its intended functions. It's quite adequate for sleeping, washing, and changing clothes, and there's so much happening constantly on the ship that you probably won't be hanging out in your cabin anyway.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

IF YOU ARE NOT DISABLED, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR ROBBING SOMEONE WHO NEEDS THAT CABIN, OF THE CHANCE
TO ESCAPE FROM IT ALL BY GOING ON A CRUISE IN A CABIN DESIGNED TO ASSIST IN THE NEEDS OF THE DISABLED.

IF YOU OR YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER IS DISABLED WE THEN APPLAUD
YOUR GETTING OUT AND ENJOYING PERHAPS THE BEST WAY TO SEE THE WORLD.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Beginner

I am disabled and would not consider depriving someone who would need the cabin. Those who jump to conclusions should also be ashamed.

The question was simple and there was no "hidden" meaning. I've waited five years to be well enough to take a vacation like this.
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Karen,
Welcome to CruiseMates and Congratulations on your first cruise! You will love it I'm sure. I'm happy for you that you are able to join the rest of us on adventures like this. You will find being on the ocean has healing powers of its own. My sister booked a guarantee cabin and was given a handicapped cabin because it was not needed that week and they loved the spacious cabin so I'm sure it will be perfect for you. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Don't let those who "assume" things ruin your experience here at CruiseMates.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Beginner

Thank you so much Teresa. Don't worry. I won't let anything ruin this vacation. Four years ago I was advised my condition was terminal. But I have fooled everyone and I am better each day. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip. I [pray it is the first of many. Because of airline restrictions on oxygen, it would be VERY difficult for me to fly anywhere. We believe this will be a great alternative.

Again, thank you for your kind words.
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

KBrown4461,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am disabled and would not consider depriving someone who would need the cabin. Those who jump to conclusions should also be ashamed.

The question was simple and there was no "hidden" meaning. I've waited five years to be well enough to take a vacation like this.
In that case, I ask your forgiveness for reading something into your post that was inaccurate. We really are trying to ensure that ADA cabins are available for people like you who really do need them because we are thrilled to have you join us aboard ship! Unfortunately, tact is not always my strong suit....

And I'm also very sorry that another poster chose to SHOUT at you. That was totally undeserved. Unfortunately, there are some travel agents out there who are, ah, let's say less than scrupulous, who have no qualms about booking able-bodied people in ADA cabins on the line that it's more cabins for the same price, with complete disregard for the fact that somebody like you might not be able to book a cruise because able-bodied people have filled all the ADA cabins. Such situations are infuriating, but it's the travel agent rather than the naive passenger who needs to be taken to the woodshed. Most passengers are considerate enough to change their bookings if somebody explains the situation in a rational and polite way. Flying off the handle at you was totally unwarranted and inexcusable in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Don't worry. I won't let anything ruin this vacation. Four years ago I was advised my condition was terminal. But I have fooled everyone and I am better each day. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip. I [pray it is the first of many. Because of airline restrictions on oxygen, it would be VERY difficult for me to fly anywhere. We believe this will be a great alternative.
You have a fantastic attitude! I, too, hope that this trip will be the first of many for you.

Norm.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much Norm. Your kind words were sincerely appreciated.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

When I was booking our next cruise I saw some really nice large rooms and thought that was the room I wanted. It took some close looking to realize they where the handicapped rooms. So, to my eye, it does look like your room is larger. By the way, I chose another room. I need only a regular cabin and feel blessed that I do. I am so glad that you are able to cruise and hope you have a wonderful experience. The sea is so theraputic Also, welcome to the boards you will meet the nicest people and get great advice, Sail On 8) Kris
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown4461
Thank you so much Teresa. Don't worry. I won't let anything ruin this vacation. Four years ago I was advised my condition was terminal. But I have fooled everyone and I am better each day. I can't tell you how much we are looking forward to this trip. I [pray it is the first of many. Because of airline restrictions on oxygen, it would be VERY difficult for me to fly anywhere. We believe this will be a great alternative.

Again, thank you for your kind words.
It's a shame that some people attack like they do. Please ignore their attitude and focus on your upcoming trip. It sounds like you really deserve the getaway. My attitude is to make the most of your life when your healthy enough to do so because you never know what tomorow will bring. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Take care.