CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Bringing liquor on board? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/332109-bringing-liquor-board.html)

Nickowner April 21st, 2007 08:27 PM

Bringing liquor on board?

Can someone tell me about the policy regarding bringing liquor on board? We are first-time cruisers, going to Alaska this summer on The Sun Princess, for a sibling reunion...we have adjoining balcony rooms and we all like to drink.

Irish Shark April 22nd, 2007 01:05 PM

In our last Passenget Contract from Princess (2.07) it states:

"Carrier kindly requests that You do not bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free, from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call will be collected by Carrier personnel for safekeeping and delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of Carrier’s security staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of Your alcoholic beverage purchases. A corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle will be applied to wine and champagne consumed in the ship’s restaurant."

IMO, igore it and bring what you want packed in your checked luggage.

megs April 22nd, 2007 04:53 PM

i remember reading on their website that you are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per person...

Irish Shark April 22nd, 2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megs
i remember reading on their website that you are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per person...

Does not matter what the Web Site sezs. It is the Passenger Contact that you have to abide by.

Have a link for that? I cannot find any reference to that on the site.

Thanks.

megs April 22nd, 2007 08:16 PM

end of second paragraph under "alcohol policy"

http://www.princess.com/answer/dining.html

true i would look at the contract before bringing anything to be safe... although i think i do remember reading in that document something about the whole corkage fee thing so it is probably in there too...

zooman April 26th, 2007 05:50 PM

Check out the bon voyage gifts and you can order yourself any alcohol you want at a very reasonable rate. The last time we were on Princess, I couldn't buy it at home and bring it for the price they offered.

RTV God April 26th, 2007 07:07 PM

The best way that I have found to bring alcohol on board is in water or soda bottles. I have done it an all my cruises and a few friends have done it to, and none of us has been caught.

tutak April 27th, 2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooman
Check out the bon voyage gifts and you can order yourself any alcohol you want at a very reasonable rate. The last time we were on Princess, I couldn't buy it at home and bring it for the price they offered.

This is no longer the case. Only 375 ml "packages" are available at $19.95. If you don't want the 2 cans on tonic or whatever in the package, it comes to $53.20 per liter and you get bottom shelf stuff like Gordons Gin.

NSWP April 27th, 2007 07:22 PM

liquor

And the bottles of liquor you buy duty free from the ship's shops are held for you until last night of cruise, so you cannot drink that either. :(

I always bring a dozen cans of beer on board at each port and bottle or two of wine, no problems so far, I declare it to security and always check with them on going off ship if it is OK to bring it back on. BUT I also purchase plenty on board from the bars and restaurant too.!!

Best wishes from Australia. :wink:

redcruzer April 28th, 2007 10:09 AM

so is it best to put it in your carry on..or your regular luggage>

Irish Shark April 28th, 2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcruzer

Not in the carry on. Put it in the checked bags. Have done that on every cruise and no problems.

GBeret May 26th, 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:

Originally Posted by redcruzer

Not in the carry on. Put it in the checked bags. Have done that on every cruise and no problems.

Same here! No problems! LOL

Bosher_ May 30th, 2007 08:41 PM

im 20 and have been taking booze onboard since i was 16

vodka can easily be taken onboard by putting it in water bottles in carry on luggage...if your going to take drink onbaord in a distinctive bottle put it in your checked luggage and it wont be found

Bandrews May 31st, 2007 12:21 PM

If you are flying (I assume you are, since your home country is England), how do you get vodka in a water bottle past air port security? :-?

Bandrews May 31st, 2007 12:23 PM

==

GBeret May 31st, 2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandrews
If you are flying (I assume you are, since your home country is England), how do you get vodka in a water bottle in your carry-on past airport security? :-?

A very good question! I wonder if 'Brandrews,' is really a troll who has never been on a Princess cruise. :roll:

Don't feed Trolls! :twisted:

RTV God May 31st, 2007 03:03 PM

You can put it in your checked luggage. Besides, I know people who have accidently gotten water past the screeners. Remember, TSA are rent-a-cop drop-outs.

Bosher_ May 31st, 2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBeret
Quote:

If you are flying (I assume you are, since your home country is England), how do you get vodka in a water bottle in your carry-on past airport security? :-?

A very good question! I wonder if 'Brandrews,' is really a troll who has never been on a Princess cruise. :roll:

Don't feed Trolls! :twisted:

in answer to the first question, we either buy the vodka in america and transfer it into a water bottle there or last year we just took it with us and had no problems (it was a flight to the DR however_

gbert get off your high horse you plum ahhahahaha

quincytoo June 1st, 2007 10:47 AM

We were on the Diamond this past Nov and we had four bottles of wine, six pack of beer, three wine coolers (don't ask, yuck ;), and a six pack of water in our checked luggage, bottles were wrapped to guard against breakage but certainly not hidden or smuggled in......

Three of the bottles we took to the restauarants and paid a $15.00 corkage fee. The beer my husband drank at poolside, water we took with us on port days, Princess was charging $2.95 per bottle and we bought 6 pack of water for same price and the wine coolers (don't ask yuck..;) were thrown in mini fridge to be repacked and given to friend after cruise. Our room stewert never said anything about liquor. She did thoughtfully and unasked provided a wine cooler.

That said our princess bar tab at the end was over $500.00....

The Princess wine list was quite good and the mark up wasn't huge. Next cruise we won't be bringing quite as mant bottles of wine on board.

Bandrews June 4th, 2007 05:40 PM

gberet,
No, I am not a troll and yes, I have cruised with Princess before. Diamond Princess to Alaska last September.
At DFW Airport last September (Dallas to Vancouver)passengers could not take any liquids including bottled water into the aircraft. You had to either drink it or pour out your water (if you wanted to keep the container), before entering the plane. Our carry-on luggage was scanned. So how did you get bottled water or vodka in a water bottle in your carry-on past airport security. That was my question and it had nothing to do with whether or not I had cruised with Princess.

Could be you are a TROLL !!

GBeret June 21st, 2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

gberet,
No, I am not a troll and yes, I have cruised with Princess before. Diamond Princess to Alaska last September.
At DFW Airport last September (Dallas to Vancouver)passengers could not take any liquids including bottled water into the aircraft. You had to either drink it or pour out your water (if you wanted to keep the container), before entering the plane. Our carry-on luggage was scanned. So how did you get bottled water or vodka in a water bottle in your carry-on past airport security. That was my question and it had nothing to do with whether or not I had cruised with Princess.

Could be you are a TROLL !!

Quote:

"in answer to the first question, we either buy the vodka in america and transfer it into a water bottle there or last year we just took it with us and had no problems (it was a flight to the DR however_

gbert get off your high horse you plum ahhahahaha"

The fact remains Bandrews, that nobody takes any amount of liquid on board any passenger aircraft at any airport now days.

Pouring Vodka or any booze into a water bottle, etc. is a waste of time. Just bubble wrap and use a zip bag for your booze and place in in your check-in luggage. No problems.

There is just no-way anybody is going to get booze/liquid on an aircraft now days.

BigWill6ft5 June 21st, 2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

The fact remains Bandrews, that nobody takes any amount of liquid on board any passenger aircraft at any airport now days.

Pouring Vodka or any booze into a water bottle, etc. is a waste of time. Just bubble wrap and use a zip bag for your booze and place in in your check-in luggage. No problems.

There is just no-way anybody is going to get booze/liquid on an aircraft now days.[/quote]

The best way is your packed luggage,but glass does break,I had a packed well packed bottle break on me,and glass does cut thur zip lock bags. Transfer it into plastic bottles or try this link

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

As far as the above comment ''There is just no-way anybody is going to get booze/liquid on an aircraft now days''

I hate to bust your bubble,my 21yr old flying out of Dallas to Alabama was stopped at the Security check point where she had a carry on bag with a 12pak of sodas(something they dont sell here in Alabama) and a back pack with another 12 pack of the same soda,was told the carry bag had to go back and be checked,they never looked in her back pack and it went thur the xray machine,so your no-way liquids on board comment is wrong.The rule is only as good as it is inforced,no would I try to carry on or tell some one to carry on something ,No. Pack it careful or put in plastic.

And one last note,Im not a Troll

filipskikt June 22nd, 2007 11:34 AM

As I have never cruised before, exactly how bad is the mark up on board? I would assume that it would save you some money to just bring alcohol with you. We're leaving on the Crown in just over a week and are leaving out of Brooklyn, so it should be pretty easy to just buy something there, pack it as is, and not worry about anything breaking, but if the mark up really isn't that bad, we wouldn't have to worry about having the room in our luggage.

tennisbum June 22nd, 2007 12:57 PM

Believe when I say the mark up is tremendous and it would be worth your while to pack in your luggage for room consumption.others will say that the pricing is no more than a good restaurant or bar however not true where I live.

GBeret June 22nd, 2007 10:42 PM

BigWill6ft5:

Your point was?

The fact is you need to read the TSA rules and regulations on this subject. instead of finding some obsecure exception to the rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

pijod June 23rd, 2007 03:40 PM

Been on 9 previous Princess cruises. We have a suitcase with snorkel gear, swim vests, etc. We wrap liquor in bubble wrap (the port stewards can be rough) and it arrives in our room. Big bottle of Grey Goose and 6 bottles of wine last time. "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission" Have a great time.

BigWill6ft5 June 23rd, 2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBeret
BigWill6ft5:

Your point was?

The fact is you need to read the TSA rules and regulations on this subject. instead of finding some obsecure exception to the rules.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

I dont need to read crap,I made my point . If you cant cant figure it out,then thats your problem.Somebody asks a ? and he gets replies then you you call him a Troll,Whats the point of that?Trust me,by reading your screen name,I know where your pont of view comes from.

GBeret June 24th, 2007 05:16 PM

BigWill6ft5:

The only 'point' that you have made for me, is that you have covinced me that you are or acting like a teenaged troll, trying to bait people here.

"I dont need to read crap,I made my point ."

Well, Im sorry, that you think data from a US Federal agency (TSA) is 'crap;' however, most other Americans here, try to follow the laws, rules, regulations and guide lines set out to protect us from our enemies, by our Government. Try to keep in mind BigWill6ft5, that this Country is at War!

"Trust me,by reading your screen name,I know where your pont of view comes from."

No, I don't trust you or your judgement, based on your posts here. Your profile doesn't help either. I don't know where you think, my points of view come from and really don't care much what your view is on them. Normally, I don't feed trolls, by replying to their post's, I'll make this my final reply on this subject with you.

As for where my point's of view come from, try this:

1.) 76 years dealing with this world on a daily basis. Raising four children, etc.

2.) 34 Years as a LE Officer (Retired as a Captain.) for a major LE Agency in Seattle.

3.) 30 + Years in the Service Army, Korean war combat veteran, USAFR, WNANG, USAR and 10 1/2 of those years in the US Army Special Forces Reserve, on an ODA. (screen nym)

Given this background, by points of view tend to be conservative, in nature, as well as a deep respect for my country, its elected government, courts, laws, etc. I tend to be a pro-law & order person.

So, to sum it up.:

I'll continue to read and accept the data provided by and updated by the US Government (TSA) as the proper information for air travelers to follow on a daily basis. I do not, consider material from a Federal agency, provided by my government, to protect air travelers from harm 'crap,'

If you consider them as crap, and don't read or follow them, etc., do so at your own risk; however, I think you'll be missing a lot of flights.

"High Profile Body Guard"

BTW: The only 'Professional Bodyguards,' I know in this Country are the agents of the Secret Service, protection detail, as well a a few other types of such agents (Department of State, etc.) in other Federal services civilian and military.

BigWill6ft5 June 24th, 2007 11:17 PM

clap-clap-clap-clap.

Sorry to clog up your thread Nickowner.