CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cell reception (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/332737-cell-reception.html)

Suzque49 May 3rd, 2007 06:47 PM

Cell reception

We are going on the Coral Princess to Alaska in Aug/Sept '08. I was wondering if we will be able to use our cell phones while onboard, or will we have to pay the high cost of the ship phones? (We use Sprint/Nextel if that makes any difference)

danacline May 4th, 2007 10:16 AM

I'm going to give you a qualifed "maybe, but probably not". I was surprised to find in March that the Grand Princess offered cell phone service while at sea. However, it worked for me because I'm with Cingular and have a GSM phone, and I turned on International Roaming. With Sprint, I don't think they use GSM so it may not work.

Fortunately, each port has a large internet and telephone cafe right by the dock...

Irish Shark May 4th, 2007 11:54 AM

That is correct. However, I have had so many busted calls that I found it useless.

Ruthlb May 8th, 2007 01:39 AM

Alaska is a mecca for cell phone service. Just about everyone carries one- or a blackberry or the like. You should be able to use your cell phone in all Alaska ports, except maybe Skagway - (there you can use celluar one towers but there is difficulty with others) The cell phone providers have been working on upgrading thier service, so both local users and visitors on the ships can use the service. Since you sail from port to port at night and visit ports during the day, you should not be without service for very long at a time.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

two2cruise May 8th, 2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danacline
I'm going to give you a qualifed "maybe, but probably not". I was surprised to find in March that the Grand Princess offered cell phone service while at sea. However, it worked for me because I'm with Cingular and have a GSM phone, and I turned on International Roaming. With Sprint, I don't think they use GSM so it may not work.

Fortunately, each port has a large internet and telephone cafe right by the dock...

How do you go about "turning on" international roaming...is that already availbable on the phone or do you have to set it up with Cingular before you go? Also do you remember how expensive the intermnational roaming was? Thanks. 8)

Irish Shark May 8th, 2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two2cruise
Quote:

Originally Posted by danacline

How do you go about "turning on" international roaming...is that already availbable on the phone or do you have to set it up with Cingular before you go? Also do you remember how expensive the intermnational roaming was? Thanks. 8)

It just comes on for me. I did not have to call or do anything with my phone. I was charged $1.99 + tax/minute.

They might offer a plan that you can get which has a lower rate. But I don't know if you can get it for 1 month and then turn it off.

Call and ask.

danacline May 9th, 2007 11:51 AM

I called Cingular and told them to turn it on. It's $6.99 a month, I think, plus you have to pay whatever rates the locals charge. I think in Europe it was about $1 per minute.

Ruthlb May 9th, 2007 09:01 PM

You should only be charge "international" when you are in Canadian waters. When in the state of Alaska, nationwide roaming should be in effect. When we travel to the lower 49- we are not charged international rates.