CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Liquor in checked luggage (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/332746-liquor-checked-luggage.html)

lormarscribs May 3rd, 2007 09:27 PM

Liquor in checked luggage

:oops:

Last July went on NCL to Alaska with a small bottle of liquor in my checked luggage. The cruise line noticed it and there went my liquor that I wanted to enjoy on our balcony. Am going on Princess to the Panama Canal in Jan. and not sure I would try it again. Guess it depends on who scans your luggage as you get on the ship???

tennisbum May 3rd, 2007 10:03 PM

Have heard from oyher cruisers that NCL has really cracked down however not heard anything about Princess.Go for it in your checked baggage as I feel that some 6000 bags will not get that much attention.We had no problem in Feb on 2 different Princess ships.

mehawk May 4th, 2007 01:29 AM

Let us know how you made out if you try it.

cljw May 4th, 2007 09:20 AM

We are just off the Golden Princess. Two of our friends brought on several bottles of wine and/or rum & vodka. Nothing was confiscated at embarkation.

Additionally, when we bought some tequila in Puerto Vallarta, we were allowed to bring it back to our cabin.

NEW GUY May 4th, 2007 10:32 AM

We also recently sailed Princess on a 7 day Mexican cruise we had wine and a bottle of gin and whiskey in our luggage. no problem at all, it was all in our luggage when it arrived in our room. We also had all the mixers in our carry on's no problem either. With what they now charge for drinks we always bring stuff, unless we go on Silver Seas or Regency which is all inclusive but you do need to bring a spare liver! been on both three times.
Jerry
ps my wife even brought her own olives!

Irish Shark May 4th, 2007 11:53 AM

Never had an issue on Princess. Put the booze in the checked bags not the carry-ons.

Integrity May 7th, 2007 06:37 AM

When we went on crown princess there where so many people buying liquor in PR. & St thomas not only where they carrying the bottles around check in back to boat withought a bag or anything the ship was not even holding them people where walking around drinking I don't see what the big deal is if you want to have a drink.

RTV God May 7th, 2007 05:04 PM

The big deal to the cruise line is loss profit. Think how much a mixed drink cost to make compared to how much they charge. That adds up really quick with 2000 people onboard.

Now I am not defending the cruise line. I have always brought my own rum onboard because I am to cheap to pay the liqour bill.

GBeret May 26th, 2007 10:31 PM

Re: Liquor in checked luggage

Quote:

Originally Posted by lormarscribs

Last July went on NCL to Alaska with a small bottle of liquor in my checked luggage. The cruise line noticed it and there went my liquor that I wanted to enjoy on our balcony. Am going on Princess to the Panama Canal in Jan. and not sure I would try it again. Guess it depends on who scans your luggage as you get on the ship???

I have never had a problem with liquor in my checked luggage on Princess.
I usually have Vodka and Whiskey in both my wifes' and my luggage.

I never used to carry liquor until, Princess came out with the policy that one couln't purchase your choice of brands, by the bottle from room service. A REAL stupid policy IMHO. :x

CruzNut May 26th, 2007 11:32 PM

No problem last month on the Coral with scotch in my checked luggage - nor with my other 9 cruises on Princess.

jools June 3rd, 2007 05:19 PM

Just got back (Sat 1st) from my first princess cruise & I took 3 bottles of wine & 1 Brandy in my checked baggage. Didn't have any problems at all so it has to be woth a try. All our hand baggage was checked so would definitely pack it. Hope you have a good time.

tutak June 4th, 2007 09:52 AM

Re: Liquor in checked luggage

[quote="GBeret"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by lormarscribs

I never used to carry liquor until, Princess came out with the policy that one couln't purchase your choice of brands, by the bottle from room service. A REAL stupid policy IMHO. :x

AMEN!!!

Eytbol8 June 4th, 2007 11:56 AM

I will be on the Golden in October and want to bring a couple of bottles of wine - just 2. Would you suggest that I put it in my carry-on or checked bag? I am a little hesitant to put it in checked bag, I am paranoid it might break and leak all over our cloths - even if I wrap it well. Has anyone experienced that problem? :-?

tennisbum June 4th, 2007 01:46 PM

Put in your carry on as they permit this with no questions asked.

TucsonRick June 9th, 2007 04:37 PM

If you are taking the liquor on a plane to get to the ship, you can not have it in you carry-on!

tennisbum June 10th, 2007 11:35 AM

Have heard from several cruises and from these boards that NCL is the most stringent on booze in checked baggage and in particular at spring vacation with a much younger group Have never had any problems on Princess,Celebrity and Holland.If you really want your beer put some in your checked bags as I do.By the way have never had any problem bringing beer on board down the line never more than a six pack.

viv26 June 11th, 2007 10:58 PM

just came off the crown, i had soooooo much booze on one said a thing.
don't worry about anything.

lukefox June 13th, 2007 10:52 AM

While I enjoy sharing information, I have to say that is is only tipping off the cruise lines to our little secret. I just saw a listing on another site, that RCL is now checking water bottles, mouthwash bottles, etc. for booze. I would suggest that we drop this topic. (In my humble opinion...)