Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Beginner

Default Sun Princess- Panama Canal

I was just on the Sun Princess for 18 days on the Grand Panama Canal cruise. It was a respositioning cruise, we departed Ft Lauderdale on April 19th and went to Aruba, through the Canal, Panama City, Costa Rica, Huatulco, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego and Seattle.

This was only my second cruise, so I am still a newbie. I had a terrific time. I decided to maintain a daily travel log on my blog, with information and lots of photos of the ship, food and ports. You can check out all 19 days of travel posts at http://www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com scroll back to April 18th for the beginning. If you want to know if you will like a cruise, especially a long one, my blog will be very helpful and should give you a good feel for crusing.

I was in a mini suite with balcony, which made all the difference, since we were on the ship for so long. Although the Sun Princess is starting to show its age, I thought it was very well maintained and still looks good.

Service

The service was very good. Plenty of crew to passengers, and I always felt well tended to. I signed up for the late seating, and the waiters in the dining room for dinner were really excellent. The breakfast crew inthe Regency dining room seemed a little less attentive though. There were a few crew members in particular that were really nice: Gabriella, from Romania (waitress in Regency dining room), Jose-Carlos, bartender on TopSiders and Vista Lounge, and Vladimir, bar steward from the pool deck and Rendez Vous Lounge. These three people really made the cruise special and a lot of fun.

Activities
I attended the three wine tastings, and Afternoon Tea most days when we were at sea. (The Maitre'D reserve wine tasting was the best of course). I also attended many of the activities planned by the Cruise Director's staff. The lectures were interesting, the entertainment was pretty good, the comedians were probably the best. I would skip the galley tour, it was self guided and a bit uneventful.

I was amazed that for being on the ship for 18 nights I never got bored. I was always entertained and felt like there was plenty to do.

The Ports: (for more details and photos check out my blog)
Aruba- excellent. I went snorkeling and was very happy
Panama Canal- clearly a highlight. It was really cool
Panama City- I would skip this evening visit
Costa Rica- excellent. I did the Aerial Tram tour through the Rain Forest. It was very nice. Saw all kinds of tropical plants and animals.
Hautulco- I enjoyed this little town. I went on the water rafting tour, which was fun, but the river was really dirty.
Acapulco
- I had no formal excursion, but it was a nice day. Ate lunch at a local restaurant called 100% natural, which was good.
Cabo San Lucas- very beautiful. Went snorkeling, took lots of pictures
San Diego- nice port, but we were only there a few hour which made it difficult.
Seattle- nice city to end in. It wasn't raining either!

We only had one day of semi- rough seas, it was the day after San Diego, heading north. But it wasn't bad at all.

Future Cruises
I was so pleased with this cruise that we booked two other Prinicess cruises: The Mexican Riviera in November 2007 on the Dawn Princess and also the Mediteranean Collection in Sept 2008 on the Pacific Princess.

For lots of details and photos, check out my daily travel blog at: http://www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links