Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Sea Princess (Sat 1st). The service was excellent with the exception of 1 Buffet Service waiter called Semen who was unnecessarily rude. I found the staff almost perfect & our cabin steward Oscar was totally amazing. He couldn't have done a thing to improve the standard of service in our cabin.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
I don't know maybe it's me, BUT - I have never had a bad experience on a cruise with the staff-cabin stewards, dining room staff, customer relations, purser, etc. and on Princess they have always been top notch. In fact the last cruise I was on (RCI) the crew was outstanding !@
I have NEVER had bad service on a Princess Cruise, especially from the cabin stewards. We always have kept the automatic tipping, (Since it started.) plus we usually give an extra tip in an envelope, at the end of the voyage to the room steward and our TD dinning room waiters.

I don't tip room service people or drink waiters, because of the automatic tip added to my bill. I have never had one act rude, because of it.

We seldom get out of our cabin on sea days, prior to lunch (Noon) or so. The cabin, has always been done when we return from lunch. They seem to replace towels each time you are gone for awhile.

Our room stewards, have always been great and responsive, to any normal request that you make to them.

BTW: I don't work for Princess; however, I like the line and will choose them over others as long as they are going where I want to go, etc.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Interesting that the original poster isn't posting anymore ... only confirms what some of us think - he's a troll!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Passenger

We have been on 16 cruises starting in 1970 and two were on Princess have not had bad service on any cruise. We did have a lousy waiter once and we asked to be moved after two days, And that problem was solved. if you want great service treat the staff with respect and they will respond in kind.
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Beginner

Default People Are People

My first Princess cruise is coming up in a week. However, this will be my 14th cruise. The staff I've encountered on other cruise lines have always become more pleasant and more assisting when I've done more than just say hello and how are you. I've learned of family situations, recent babies, what they do when in port and not on duty, places they've been, etc. Don't be afraid to engage them in discussion other than your requests and your needs. Because my husband does not like cruising (go figure), I often travel with my teenage daughter. We introduce ourselves to the staff (especially bartenders--they see all), and they have been more than helpful in looking out for my daughter (i.e., she was looking for me at a certain time and is at the teen disco). A great response to bad service: "Seems like you're not having a great day. Anyone you'd like me to take care of for you?" The general response is a smile and a story. Maybe this is just a mother's view as I try to teach my daughter to treat all people with a Christian heart. But by all means, complain to the Purser and through the management chain if need be. I do not support tipping for less than acceptable service. Suggestion: I read a book at the library about a side of cruising I never thought of, Cruise Ship Blues. Worth the read.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Passenger

I have cruised on many of Princess ships and have always been very happy with their staff. The last cruise that I was on in Janurary this year on the Coral Princess our waiters in the main dining room were excellent. We hope to run into them again on another cruise. The room stewart was also very nice and left our room very clean each day. We have never had any problems with staff members on any cruises. The last cruise I had a problem with the credit card that I had on file for the cruise and the Pursers Office took care of it right away and was very helpful and nice about it. They even called the credit card company for me and let me talk to them and did not charge me for the call.

Crown Princess 2008 Future Cruise
Coral Princess 2007
Caribbean Princess 2004
Regal Princess 2003
Dawn Princess 2000
Regal Princess 1999
Holiday Carnival 1998
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

crown service was great everyone and everything
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

exsausd

Amen! I find that post non-factual and insulting to all Educators.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

hey bandrews you gotta problem with my post????
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, no problem with your post. I was agreeing with poster " exsausd"
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Passenger

I've been checking all the posts on princess as we are taking our first cruise with them in a few weeks. We've done 2 carnivals and 2 NCL's. The NCL cruise we took last year had several crew members on board that had been on the NCL dawn with us the year before. They all recognized us. We were amazed at how they could possibly do this with all the passengers they see in the course of a year. That said, we've watched people on these cruises. Many treat the employees like slaves. I'm not saying all the people just some. Folks that post here seem to give honest, up front information. We've seen people leave plates of food on dining room floors, beckon wait staff like they're calling their dog and chronically complain. We were on the Carnival Legend in 2004 and the ship was delayed by a medical emergency. The ship was diverted to Bermuda and instead of arriving in NY at 6 a.m. it did not arrive until after 8 p.m. We did not board until after midnight. The ENTIRE cruise people *****ed and moaned. My husband would say to them "you're enjoying yourself now aren't you?" We did not take out our frustrations on employees as they were powerless to do anything for us. When we got home we had our travel agent complain about not giving us some restitution for the lost day and I wrote a letter to carnival about. There were people on board screaming at the personnel at the pursers desk. It was terrible. On an NCL cruise we watched a lady giving a cook at the breakfast line a hard time. She was yelling at him about her eggs. She then looked at the cook next to him and screamed "doen't he speak english?!" We saw this poor cook go into the kitchen area behind closed doors and I could hear him in his native tongue. I would have loved to have known what he said. After we finished our breakfast my husband walked over to the man, shook his hand, and said thank you for a great breakfast. He smiled and thanked us. Our very first cruise our servers were hollaring at us because we were bringing our trays to them when we were done eating. They kept saying they'd get in trouble if their bosses saw us bringing them the trays. We were just doing what we always do - you learn to pick up after yourself. On NCL the wait staff in the dining rooms were putting our napkins in our laps. We said we were more than capable of doing that ourselves. Our cabins were always kept spotless, though our cabin steward on NCL Dawn was a bit lax and a bit nosey. Like everyone has posted here you're on a cruise you should be thrilled to be on vacation. As someone who works a 72 hour work week vacation is a joy to me from the moment it starts to the moment it ends. My husband feels that same way. We're all different so one person's complaint may be another person's compliment. So just sit back relax and enjoy the trip no matter where you're going to!!
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
First Mate

kmailler, I agree with you on several points you made.

As for placing the cloth napkins in your lap, that is what they are TOLD to do. I felt a little akward at first, but then I got used to it.

Yes, some people are never happy, no matter what. I think they like to hear themselves TALK/COMPLAIN. It gives them something to do.

If you go on the Crown Princess, please give me your pros/cons of the ship.
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Passenger

I was a bit leary before my recent NCL cruise to Alaska because of posts that the service on NCL was bad, but I agree that your cruise is what you make of it.

Now I'm not saying there isn't bad service out there, just that if you are pleasant and considerate you will get the same. I was always greeted with a smile and a hello which I always returned and said thank you and the other basic manners, and I had a wonderful time. Not a service complaint throughout the entire cruise. An entire group of 4 or 5 men working on cleaning the deck at 5:30 a.m. when I walked each morning would pause each lap I made and say hello, with smiles, all six laps as I pased. It may have been overkill but it appeared sincere and was sweet. Keep an open mind and a good attitude, and you get what you give.

Yes, they are paid to handle complaints without batting an eye and do their jobs with a smile and to make sure we are happy, but someone who finds fault in everything and is rude simply sets themselves up for a bad vacation. Just because you are a room steward or a waiter doesn't mean you should have to take abuse. It is hard to deal with irrate people, especially when it isn't your fault as is often the case with the waiters. JMO