Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Default Princess Cruise staff lazy,attitude, poor customer service

What is up with princess cruise lines employees aboard ships.

When we went on the Crown Princess last year the staff was very lazy, poor customer service and they all expected a tip.

Our cabin steward we had to practically beg him to make the bed give us fresh towels etc.
Room service was a joke we have never ever come across such arrogant people in my life,. From the moment they answered the phone all the way to when they knocked at the door. For instance we would order breakfast usual corn flakes with milk. The fools would bring to us a box of cereal no bowl, no milk so they would get mad when we asked them politely that the order is wrong we cannot eat cereal with ought a bowl nor milk.

On another occasion they had a cookie platter another room service guy came down get this 3 cookies for two people I was laughing so hard so from being angry. And every time they expected a tip for what??? I believe you should tip someone if they earn it certainly having an attitude orders are incorrect etc. this is no grounds for tipping them.

A few times they did do well and they where tipped $5-8 we understand. But one guy was tipped I was right behind him as he exited so I can close the cabin door I looked through the peep hole and he gave us the finger. That is just being ungrateful.

When we docked back in NYC we decided well we did have fun despite the frustration on the staff and Pitior the cabin steward made up the past 2 days and actually did a very good job that we would tip him we gave this MF $50 tip we did not even get a Thank You and the attitude came right back unbelievable these people.

Similar service was given to not only us but other couples on the ship some stories where actually worst then ours. Near pool side the drink staff some where nice others haggled you to buy soda card.

Yes we are sailing with Princess again hopefulyl better service on Carribean Princess aside from staff ship is alot of fun and has style.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Princess Cruise staff lazy,attitude, poor customer servi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity
...When we went on the Crown Princess last year...
Integrity - Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope your next cruise is much better! Any reason you waited months to post this information? If I experienced something like this, I'd post it while on the ship or very soon after I returned. I'd also let the management onboard know, and follow-up with a letter to the corporate office after I returned home.

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

So you went through the entire cruise & tolerated this? Why didn't you go report this immediately? And if the guy gave you the finger, why didn't you open your door & confront him?

And you are complaining now when you went on this last year? I'm sensing Troll...

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
And you are complaining now when you went on this last year? I'm sensing Troll...
Does it look like this?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Beginner

People we did report this and did bring this up they did nothing

And to answer someone else's question about time of posting I am new to this site I only came across this website recently. I have nothing against Princess or anything like that I am going back on this line because the trip is fun the ship is fun just the service stinks.But then again this was based on out 1st time with this line will let you all know when we come back from this trip starting this sunday.

By the way what is up with ice cream charge? Ice cream should be included. There is a way around this go to tea time and you will get free ice cream :-)
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Very strange posting.

For room service, it's polite to tip something - a dollar or two per person ... depending on what you order. If it's not right, then take it up immediately with Customer Service. Can't imagine why you would look out the peephole to see the room service person's reaction. You actually have to get up very close to the door to use the peephole - it takes more action than just shutting the door.

Can't believe the cabin steward didn't make up the bed or give you fresh towels - but then maybe you left the do not disturb sign on the door.

Princess's crew are noted for their GOOD service and smiling attitude.

Don't understand why you would give the cabin steward a $50 tip (over and above the money that is posted to your account for each of you). On the other hand, if you took the automatic debit off your account, then you grossly undertipped him.

How can the trip be fun and the ship be fun when you say the service was so BAD!

And yet, with all these "problems", you're sailing on Princess again this Sunday.

With all the horribly misspelled words and bad English from someone who lives in the United States and presumably speaks English, I'd have to agree that this is a troll.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Admiral

Don't understand about the free ice cream at tea time - have never seen that - and was on the Coral Princess last month (10th Princess cruise).

However, if you go to Horizon Court between 3:30 and 4:30 every day they have free ice cream.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Beginner

Cruznut left nut whatever you call yourself. Do you happen to work for Princess? Not sure why you are looking so much into this post. But being that you must know why I looked at the peephole is because someone happened to be shouting outside during the same time he excited the room and got our attention.

Another thing I want to point out is we are not cheap our credit card was on file and the cruise lines takes the automatic tip per day that is required.
We happen to be generous; by all means he was not under tipped etc. as you claim.

Why we are sailing with Princess cruise line; I have to reiterate my post was based on one Princess sailing. To completely boycott the line would be judgmental and stupid.

And yes you can have fun on the ship and during the excursions is not like the cruise staff is attached to my back or something. Your reply to this post is stupid in itself.

It sounds to me almost as if you happen to be a cruise staff defending the fleet, posing on here as a regular Joe.

I guess none of the geniuses on here happen to notice on the left side that it mentions my join date & that I am new, I can't believe I have to point this out for some of you.

Integrity
Beginner
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:20 PM
First Mate

I hope your recent Princess trip doesn't turn you off to cruising or Princess. I do realize that occasionally you get some inattentive stewards, or clumsy waiters, or someone just having a bad day...that happens. However, we have had overall great service on Princess and Carnival. Had a few issues with a few people on a HAL cruise, but nothing we couldn't overcome or ignore.

The room stewards are usually only on duty in the morning (say, 7-11) and the evening (say, 5-9). If you have the Do Not Disturb sign out (say, you sleep late), then your bed may not get made that day (although they should in the evening).

In any case, the service issues you had are the exception, not the rule, so hopefully your next cruise will be much better.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Admiral

I don't know maybe it's me, BUT - I have never had a bad experience on a cruise with the staff-cabin stewards, dining room staff, customer relations, purser, etc. and on Princess they have always been top notch. In fact the last cruise I was on (RCI) the crew was outstanding !@
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Admiral

Irish, that is the one

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Default Poor staff/service

Maybe these cabin/wait staff think they are automatically entitled to tips even if they provide poor service. WRONG..I for one would give them nothing if their service was poor, maybe that would improve their attitude to their jobs. They do not have to be there don't forget. No doubt there are plenty of maybe better service staff back home in Eastern Europe, The Phillipines, Indonesia, Mexico etc where the bulk of ship's service staff are recruited from AND I am not being racist here at all.

I am not against the principle of tipping, I know the tipping pool makes up a significant proportion of their wages..but they have to earn their tips, not get them for poor service.

I can tell you now when Regal Princess turns into Pacific Dawn in October this year and operates from Sydney as a P&O Australia ship, the ship's service staff had better lift their game because Aussies will not tip for poor service in fact many will not tip for any service but that is another story and I do not want to get into another debate about the merits of tipping, which nationality does and who does not etc.

Best wishes from downunder 8)

Princess Elite Cruiser
195 cruise days with Sitmar, P&O and Princess
All over the world !
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity
Cruznut left nut whatever you call yourself. Do you happen to work for Princess? Not sure why you are looking so much into this post. But being that you must know why I looked at the peephole is because someone happened to be shouting outside during the same time he excited the room and got our attention.

Another thing I want to point out is we are not cheap our credit card was on file and the cruise lines takes the automatic tip per day that is required.
We happen to be generous; by all means he was not under tipped etc. as you claim.

Why we are sailing with Princess cruise line; I have to reiterate my post was based on one Princess sailing. To completely boycott the line would be judgmental and stupid.

And yes you can have fun on the ship and during the excursions is not like the cruise staff is attached to my back or something. Your reply to this post is stupid in itself.

It sounds to me almost as if you happen to be a cruise staff defending the fleet, posing on here as a regular Joe.

I guess none of the geniuses on here happen to notice on the left side that it mentions my join date & that I am new, I can't believe I have to point this out for some of you.

Integrity
Beginner
Integrity, if you had checked Cruznut's posts you would have seen that she/he is not only not a Princess employee, but is a very well respected poster here. When you had problems did you report them to the Purser's Desk?

Personally, we've never had bad service on Princess, and no, we don't work for Princess !

I hope your next Princess cruise is better,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Admiral

I find that this complaint runs counter to almost all reviews of the Crown as well as other Princess ships.

Lashing out at Cruznut, in additon to the newness of the OP, just seems to support the contention that this is a troll posting.

We are neither "Princess Employees" or cheerleaders, simply people who have enjoyed our cruise experience on Princess and are genuinely puzzled at the extreme negative tone and biterness of the complaint.

Is Princess perfect? No way! Just not as bad as the OP implies and if the OP did have the experience stated in the original post, it is certainly not typical of the line as a whole, despite the intimation of such in the title of the post.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:22 AM
First Mate

I just got in to this forum. We are "thinkinging" of going on the Crown Princess next year to Aruba. Hopefully we don't find things this bad.

I know a lot of times, things go bad, depending up the person/s and how they deal with the staff. I have had very few problems in my 7 cruises. If I have a problem, I normally take it up with the Purser's desk to resolve it.
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
I just got in to this forum. We are "thinkinging" of going on the Crown Princess next year to Aruba. Hopefully we don't find things this bad.

I know a lot of times, things go bad, depending up the person/s and how they deal with the staff. I have had very few problems in my 7 cruises. If I have a problem, I normally take it up with the Purser's desk to resolve it.
We will let you know shortly after we return from ours by posting a thorough review.

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

I think cruznut was out of line commenting on misspelled words and bad English. Not very nice.
Marg
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

I M H O,

Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. does have not as well customer services on the brick and mortar locations and on the sea.

The root of the problem may be a basic reason. Which is lack of training and understanding customers. Other lines even from the parent firm World Cruise (CCL/CUK: NYSE/LSE) Carnival

On board when problems do occur even small ones.. rctify them by going to the head of the service for which you have a problem (s) .. then if nothing is done to your satisfaction (your are one passage out of ___) go to the HotMan (Hotel Manager) aboard.. still if there are problems go more to Corporate.. the Cruise Lines need good customer satisfaction rates.. As well contact the Owner/Manager of the Travel Agency you booked with so they know and try to help you resolve things.

Yes I have seen the ..expected tips for Poor Services given/shown too.. that is kind of appalling..but to each there own ..

On room service yes having things arrive perfectly and precise is really a matter of choice as some may want cream some milk some skim some none.. so when ordering make sure the condiments you want are also orderd.. I like ketchup with franks and I have to make sure they send a bottle of the stuff..*S

Fish and Chips too some may like Malt Vinegar...etc...

Again choice.. so yes you have to make your choice known to them otherwise they think there is nothing you want with your order... remebr the server which delivers your order probably is not the one taking the order on the phone.. yes princess is still in the Information Ice Ages .. one day they like other cruise lines youall be able to order room services througth the interactive GUI General User Interface..((TV/Monitor))

I am of the very Old School on Tipping too.

I so believe it is an inducement for going above and beyond the normal services given for which they are paid well( or why else would they be there..eh..)

We do tip very well too. But when services are at par or below we do (or want) to adjust those amounts accordingly)..

As an example well how about two shorts...

1.) Las Vegas, we were on a paid for bus trip to Red Rocks to hike and explore when we were returning the bus driver demanded on the PA that he deserved a FIVE DOLLAR TIP... well we did not even tip the bloke for being so rude and arrogent.. a normal tip there would be $1.00 as do you know his salary was 60-70,000 $USD a year and thats just working partime? That tipping method is the norm in Europe as well ..just an acknowledgement of good service given in a timely and proper service manor..

2.) Suffern, NY we were dining at a four star location next to Avon after eating which the service we waited and waited for even after a request twice the girl wrote on the check ..(which I have posted in my Office above my desk) [b]SUG GRATUTITY $47.80[/b]

Talk about rude... well I did leave a tip but not what she suggested...

Tips are a personal choice not an included expense anymore as some cruise lines had done.

Yes my spelling and grammar are attrocious a lot of the times also... but is anyone perfect...
[/i][/u]
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

AAA - Can I ask you how you know his part-time salary was $60k+?
That would be $46.15 per hour basing it on a 25 hour workweek, coming to $1,153.75 per week.

I want his job!!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
First Mate

DougR, if you are going on the Princess, when will this be? The reason I ask, is so I can look around that time for your review.

As I said earlier, after reading so much bad , I hesitate in going on the Crown Princess.

Someone had suggested doing the Celebrity Summit, but I don't know much about that ship. It may be too expensive for my blood.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Passenger

I am a firm believer that expectations play a big role in peoples comments here. While it is just a guess I would say the OP has just had his first cruise and expectations were quite high.

All cruise brochures seem to boast of fine dining, impeccable service, excellent facilities, spacious accommodation and great entertainment. This kind of 'sales' talk obviously raises expectations. Clearly not all ships offer the same quality of on board experience. Quality is generally linked to the fare paid. You cannot realistically expect a $399 cruise to be the same as a $3999 one.

The second thing that will taint ones opinion is subjectivity. Two people on the same ship in the same category with the same waiter and cabin steward will have difering opinions.

Different cruise lines and ships offer different cruise experiences, aimed at very different clientele. For example: An Ocean Liner fan's 'classic ship 'might be someone else 'old tub'. Another person's 'awesome floating resort' might be somebody else's 'giant crowded nightmare'. One person's 'great food' may be someone else's idea of "slop".
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Very well said and my answer is to those who want to complain is any cruise is better than staying at home and not going at all.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
DougR, if you are going on the Princess, when will this be? The reason I ask, is so I can look around that time for your review.

As I said earlier, after reading so much bad , I hesitate in going on the Crown Princess.

Someone had suggested doing the Celebrity Summit, but I don't know much about that ship. It may be too expensive for my blood.
November 3 to 10, look for the review a couple of weeks later.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Very well said and my answer is to those who want to complain is any cruise is better than staying at home and not going at all.
I agree. Those who are prone to wining and complaining should stay home so the rest of us don't have to listen to these people while we're on our terrific cruise!

NEXT UP:
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
First Mate

DougR, I will try to look around the middle or a little after in November for your report.

To those of you who responded, you are correct. Everyone has a different version of what they "think" things should be.

As I had stated earlier in one of the forums, I had read so many "negataives" about Carnival cruise line. We took the Triumph last year, and had a wonderful time.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

The service industry is in dire need of people , especially in Las Vegas.

So yes they have to pay a higher wage to retain the staffs.

I guess you have not noticed as of even two days ago.

The large shareholder of Mirage etc..want to buy the Bellagio. We were invited and there for that GrandOpening too.

Having a certain skill set, is desirable, even if some think it is menial which means thats vital to any economy.

If that 65 k is good what do you think teachers make here and thats actually really a Part Time job too but with so many benefits we all pay in taxes....

The avg here for an elementary school teacher is 75k.

We just defeated a Over Bloated Budget for 65 MILLION Dollars and the class only has 69 students... and again in the next special election on a weekday from 2 :00 pm to 8:00 pm it was defeated again for 25 million...

Tom Kean an Ex elected Gov.and gentleman, had said it so right.. you cant just throw money at the Education System and think it shall work well..[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
AAA - Can I ask you how you know his part-time salary was $60k+?
That would be $46.15 per hour basing it on a 25 hour workweek, coming to $1,153.75 per week.

I want his job!!
[/i]
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yeoman

I would suggest writing a letter to Princess. I would be sure to mention the exact names of the people you had problems with (if possible) and state the facts (without any accusations). Folks who employ poor help need to know. They don't know something is not being done correctly unless they are told. Just try to keep to specific facts and it will be appreciated. I know when I have had problems in the past, I have written letters detailing the problems. I have always received either a letter or a phone call thnking me and/or asking more specific questions. When I was in management, I was delighted when some one brought these kind of things to my attention. Both good and bad things. Employers don't always know what is going on and it's good to have moments from customers.
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisequeen
I would suggest writing a letter to Princess. I would be sure to mention the exact names of the people you had problems with (if possible) and state the facts (without any accusations). Folks who employ poor help need to know. They don't know something is not being done correctly unless they are told. Just try to keep to specific facts and it will be appreciated. I know when I have had problems in the past, I have written letters detailing the problems. I have always received either a letter or a phone call thnking me and/or asking more specific questions. When I was in management, I was delighted when some one brought these kind of things to my attention. Both good and bad things. Employers don't always know what is going on and it's good to have moments from customers.
EXCELLENT Reply! I totally agree. Just to add, sometimes the help (the employees) don't know they're providing service which isn't up to standards. This could be from a lack of training, communications issues, etc. If management is informed of an issue, it is then management's responsibility to take action and resolve the problem. This may just mean taking with the employees involved, talking with all the employees to avoid any future like-problems, providing additional training, or in extreme cases firing the employees.

For those of us who have had management positions, it's not always easy!

NEXT UP:
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Default AAA

Please keep your posts to the point of cruising and not anti education and anti educator tirades. Your unfactual statistics are pathetic. Hopefully you never cruise and if you do I will pray that you are not my tablemate.
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

We were on the Diamond last Nov and received nothing but steller service throughout the whole cruise.

The whole staff was amazing, we had been on the NCL Spirit the year before and we found NCL service ranged from good to mostly indifferant.

Princess cruise we are eagerly looking forward to doing again

I don't know if it matters but we only paid $525.00 each (myself, husband and our child) BUT I would have paid double ...it was that good