Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Crown-which is more popular? Anytime dining vs. traditional?

What seems to be the more popular choice among the passengers? Anytime dining or traditional dining? And why? Maybe some of the answers will help us decide which way to go on our October cruise. Once we actually set sail, we will probably find that it is not such a confusing issue as it appears to be, but we don't want to make a bad decision that we would have to live with for a week, because you can't change once on board, is that correct? Right now we are set up for anytime dining and we just want to be sure that that is the best way to go.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Crown-which is more popular? Anytime dining vs. traditio

Dixie Lee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What seems to be the more popular choice among the passengers? Anytime dining or traditional dining? And why?
It's hard to say which is really more popular. On my Dad's last Princess cruise, aboard MV Golden Princess, he was No. 497 on the waiting list for first seating in Traditional Dining. The dining rooms on that ship seat about 500, so they actually should have shifted a second dining room to "Traditional Dining" to meet the demand! OTOH, it seems that there are always a significant number of thoughtless passengers who book "Traditional Dining" and then decide to go to "Anytime Dining" instead when they get aboard the ship, but don't bother to tell the Maitre d'Hotel so he can give their tables in "Traditional Dining" to passengers on the waiting list.

Personally, I prefer "Traditional Dining" for a couple reasons.

>> 1. The flexibility (or "freedom") of "Anytime Dining" is largely an illusion. In reality, the seatings of "Traditional Dining" align with the shows and the other evening events and entertainment. Thus, most of the passengers assigned to "Anytime Dining" end up dining within a few minutes of the scheduled seatings anyway.

>> 2. In "Traditional Dining," your waitstaff get to know your preferences and tastes on the first couple evenings of the cruise, so they anticipate your requests thereafter. In "Anytime Dining," this is not possible (unless you make a standing reservation, which defeats the flexibility of "Anytime Dining") and service suffers.

>> 3. In "Traditional Dining," you have the same tablemates each evening so you have a chance to develop friendships that can last beyond the cruise.

But rather than play dining room roulette on Princess, I decided to cruise with another line (Celebrity) instead.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Familiar Face

We just came off the Crown in May. We had anytime dining. it worked out well. You could make a reservation from 5:30 to 6:30 and after 8:30. The rest of the time you could walk up and wait for a table just like you were at a resturant any time between 5:30 and 10:00. We found this to be very flexible. We also saw people change their dining requests once on the ship on the first day of the cruise. (ie go from anytime to traditional and vice versa) Hope this helps you.
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

AnyTime was very popular once. It is dwindling rapidly now in numbers requesting it in advance.

Having AnyTime actually does nNOT let you have Traditional once abaord.

Why do youall think Tradional Dining is WaitListed?

Have you ever heard anymore AnyTime being WaitListed?

Yes precisely...

The CruiseLines make a lot more money in AnyTime as the training of the Wait Staff does not come in to play as much..

An example ask your Waiter, which is a Profession what is the ingredients of different dishes etc... a lot don't even have a clue.. well if they are able to cross the language barriers..

We have had some phenominal waiters on ships and also even have met some in OnLand establishments which had been on ships and two where we had cruised on ...

The actually Bottom Line is :::
YOUR
C H O I C E

__________________________________X
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Take traditional,,,,and then once you're aboard, if you wish, you can switch to anytime. If, however, you take anytime and want to switch to traditional,,,you can forget it!

Have a great cruise.

Ken
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Take traditional,,,,and then once you're aboard, if you wish, you can switch to anytime. If, however, you take anytime and want to switch to traditional,,,you can forget it!

Have a great cruise.

Ken
Thanks to all who responded, but Ken, what you said has really cleared up my thinking. I just needed someone to define it so my dense head could understand it better. That is exactly what I was afraid of, that we would not be able to switch. So, traditional it is. Really, after thinking about it, it's all the same thing no matter what cruiseline, whether one cruiseline advertises anytime or freestyle dining, or does not advertise it that way. Once one is assigned a dining room and meal time, if one does not want that or can't make it, one goes to the lido buffet (or equivilant) when they want and dines there, so it is really anytime dining in disguise. I guess the biggest difference is in having all of the specialty restaurants to chose from. So, dumb me, I got it now. Thanks!

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

As I posted elsewhere, I prefer traditional. I like to get to know my tablemates.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Dixie Lee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks to all who responded, but Ken, what you said has really cleared up my thinking. I just needed someone to define it so my dense head could understand it better. That is exactly what I was afraid of, that we would not be able to switch. So, traditional it is. Really, after thinking about it, it's all the same thing no matter what cruiseline, whether one cruiseline advertises anytime or freestyle dining, or does not advertise it that way. Once one is assigned a dining room and meal time, if one does not want that or can't make it, one goes to the lido buffet (or equivilant) when they want and dines there, so it is really anytime dining in disguise. I guess the biggest difference is in having all of the specialty restaurants to chose from. So, dumb me, I got it now. Thanks!
That's a reasonable decision.

As others have noted, please be sure to inform the Maitre d'Hotel if you decide to switch to "Anytime Dining" during the cruise so that he can reassign your table to somebody who is on the wait list.

Norm.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Will do. Thanks, Norm.

CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

We also did anytime dining on Crown last month. We heard about line-ups and not being able to get the same time, table, wait staff every day. Upon consulting with our travel agent and inquiring about changing, we found an over-300 ppl wait list for traditional, and our agent assured us that Anytime Dine wouldn't be a problem if you reseve a time the first day and if you enjoyed your experience...then reserve after you finish eating for the next night. We found this also gave us the option of not reserving for next evening if we knew we had alternate plans for next day. It took away the guilt feeling of not showing up for your pre-arranged tradition dining. We never did wait in line on days of no reserve, due to getting there before the "rush" started at 6:15 or so.
Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April/07 - Fun In The Sun
Brilliance Of The Seas, Partial Panama, March/08 - Here We Go Again!
Vision Of The Seas, Mexico, Dec/08 - 50th Birthday
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Judging from our last three Princess cruises, it sure looked like traditional was a close winner.

On these cruises, we were anytime time and it worked out just dandy. Got lucky on each cruise and got a nice table with very good waitstaff. We booked a standing reservation for the entire cruise.

The show times were not an issue as they moved the time around each night, so it was not predictable.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

Getting Tradional Dining Early Seating abaord the Crown Princess is as hard as setting up an out of State Statement Savings PassBook Account for your Children.. and I dont even have any Children that I know of...was that a Grocho Marx line?..LoL

We still have an OnLine Interactive Waitlist number over 200 and teens.. and our cabins are given ..

But with calling the So Called Customer Service in Seattle, WA and speaking a few times with a Supervisor ..who said I was not allowed to talk to anyone else... as she was the top and represented all of management.. gee and I talk to Chairmen and Presidents daily.. talk about gumption and instead of service I call her giving great disservice..

Well I called on the LandLine the VP of Princess and discussed that. He immediately changed the seating reservation and booked us.

The Crown Princess just took on over 700 new Crew Members . The Chefs Table a new program in the Culinary Arena will not be implemented for our cruise in June 8th, 2007 AD now but in July.. that I think I M H O shall be a phenominal; addition to Princess and all her passenger guests

The VP Peter of F&B will be aboard the C P the cruise prior to ours. And will be traing all the Staff in the new additions to the menus aboard and all the new items coming in now too..

A wonderful change for the palates..

Oh and on that so called supervisor she finally called back Peter after an inordinate amount of time and said she would correct the listing for our dining .. but after two weeks it still is amiss.. I think this will be corrected by our Memorial Day Holiday honoring all our Countries Heros!

The USS W A S P arrived leading the floatilla yesterday for FLEET WEEK. The Intrepid for years moored in NYC was the main ship but is over in Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey at the old MOTBY Naval Base being refurbished ..

So the USS WASP is the lead ship moored at Pier 90 on the Hudson River welcoming everyone aboard all FLEET WEEK long !

It is close to the Tube Stops, Bus and Water Ferries too so if your near pay a visit and say hello to the ones serving our Country in Honor!

http://www.nypst.com

Right next to door to the NY Passenger Cruise Ship Terminal in Manhattan Island Borough of NYC, NY
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
As I posted elsewhere, I prefer traditional. I like to get to know my tablemates.
We always choose TD first sitting! As some one mentioned this can aways be adjusted on shipboard to anytime dinning; however, one can't go from anytime dinning to TD.

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW