Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Default Average age of cruiser--will we fit in on our Honeymoon???

Ok, I truly don't want to offend anyone with this, and I hope it doesn't, but I have heard that the average cruiser on Princess Cruises is 55 and over? Is this accurate? My future husband and I are both 29, and we are thinking of taking the November 26 cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the new Emerald Princess for our honeymoon.

We have been on two previous cruises both on Royal Caribbean and we loved both. So, we have never sailed with any other cruise line (obviously) and we aren't sure how different one is from the next. In my research, I have come across quite a few things that say Princess is an "older" crowd. We actually don't have a problem with this, we are more laid back and would prefer an older crowd to a loud young drunk crowd in the low 20's. But, my real question is, are there people our age on Princess?? A good amount of just a few? And, if its an older crowd, is it so totally refined and stuffy that it isn't as fun as some of the other cruise lines??

I appreciate anyone's feedback as we have to book our honeymoon in about 1 week. I hope I expressed what I was trying to ask without offending anyone or anything.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

No, while the Princess lines are not a full party atmosphere, they do have a young and older group. Everybody fits in.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Admiral

It really sepends on the time and the length of the cruise. On the over 7 day cruises, yea, folks tend to be older. All our Princess cruises have been 12, 15, or 17 day cruises. On all of them there were some younger folks (even children).

On your cruise, I would say that they will tend to be more of the folks in your age group.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Amy....First let me congratulate you on your up coming wedding. In October my husband and I, and another couple are going on our first Princess cruise (Southern). I'm 35 and my husband is 40-years old and I've been told there are people of all ages on Princess, and been told how great Princess is, and that's why we decided to try this particular cruise-line. We've sailed on Royal Caribbean, twice, and on Carnival, three time and we just love Royal Caribbean, and we only hope Princess compares or tops RC. Whatever you decide I hope you have a fabulous wedding, and honeymoon on whatever cruise-line you decide to sail on. Happy Cruising!

Jessie
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much everyone!! Anyone else who has an opinion, please keep posting, but so far everyone has been quite helpful.

And, Jessie--Thanks!!! I am so excited, I can hardly stand it!

Amy
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

Princess was great in that I saw all ages aboard. I am in my mid 40's and felt like I was an average age. I love that!
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

Size is so important.. in Cruising too.

Size of the ship..
Size of the Trip...
Size (age) of the passengers..
Size of the wallet and lessening thereof it..

A cruise on larger ships is like going to a Week Long or longer Baseball game.. so i guess you can call it the World Cruise Series Championships..

Yes on a longer series of cruise games... the age increases as the cost does too but sometimes the cost-basis decreases making it the better buy..

Now with so many ships afloat all over the World your choices do abound.

We have been cruising more quite a few decades..yes from the days when guests were at the piers and aboard for a Great Meal and a Bon-Voyage Party .. then the age was always a lot more.. well I hope so I was a lot younger too *S*

RCL:NYSE is a great Line and started in Norway! The food served now is not as well as before... and before I mean just in the past few years...

Princess has a edge here and I was talking again on the LandLine with the VP of F&B, Peter said they are now instituting changes in items and introducing quite a few new additions to the menus aboard.

We have our next cruie in about three weeks (06/08/2007 AD) on the largest Princess Ship, The Crown Princess. Peter will be aboard her the cruise before us training the staff and crew on the new additions etc...

So I guess the bottom line here is Life, Love and the CruiseLines you choose is what you make of them..

____________________________________________X
:o
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Amy,

I will put in my 2 cents. Since you both already cruised RCCL and it is your honeymoon stick to something you know and like. Your honeymoon memories you will treasure your whole life time. And I'm not knocking Princess I have never been on Princess yet. And I do plan to give Princess a try in the future however you can always go on Princess another time. You might get off Princess and say "we should have booked RCCL". You guys are in your 20's RCCL is the way to go. You have many cruising years ahead of you to try Princess, Carnival, celebrity etc.

Go with the guarantee!

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Admiral

How can you compare Princess with RCI since you have never cruised on Prinxess? All you have is what others have written.

RCI is no lock. I think that on that Being 29 on a Caribbean cruise on the Emerald would be perfectly fine for a honneymoon cruise.

I have seen many brides on all our Prinecess cruises and they all seemed to be having fun.

My 5 cents.

YMMV

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Admiral

The only time that I have seen a definite trend in an older crowd on Princess was the Alaskan cruise where the average age of passengers is a bit older anyway. On the Golden Princess in ther Caribbean, the passenger age was similar to RCI.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Admiral

who is comparing the two? I have not been on Princess yet but I do plan to down the road. The magic word is "opinion" everyone has one and everyone else does not have to agree with it. Cruisemates is great you get to hear fellow cruisers opinions.

I'm entitled to 2 cents
your entitled to 5 cents

with all this cents talk I'm in the mood for the dollar song:

cents 5 cents 10 cents dollar ....dollar dollar dollar

8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Passenger

Ther is one big upside to being young married honeymoon couple on a ship of us old folks.

Think of all the attention you will recieive, cause old folks just love to see newlyweds.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Average age of cruiser--will we fit in on our Honeymoon?

Amy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ok, I truly don't want to offend anyone with this, and I hope it doesn't, but I have heard that the average cruiser on Princess Cruises is 55 and over? Is this accurate? My future husband and I are both 29, and we are thinking of taking the November 26 cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the new Emerald Princess for our honeymoon.

We have been on two previous cruises both on Royal Caribbean and we loved both. So, we have never sailed with any other cruise line (obviously) and we aren't sure how different one is from the next. In my research, I have come across quite a few things that say Princess is an "older" crowd. We actually don't have a problem with this, we are more laid back and would prefer an older crowd to a loud young drunk crowd in the low 20's. But, my real question is, are there people our age on Princess?? A good amount of just a few? And, if its an older crowd, is it so totally refined and stuffy that it isn't as fun as some of the other cruise lines??
So what's the average age of people living in your home town?

Seriously, the average age of passengers on a cruise is not really a very relevant statistic unless it's well past sixty. The spectrum of ages on most cruise lines is so broad that the "average" really does not mean much. On a cruise ship with a couple thousand passengers, even five percent in your age bracket would be a hundred people. It would be a rare Princess cruise on which you won't find more passengers in your age bracket than you will have time to befriend!

Norm.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Yeoman

I rather enjoy a cruise which has an older crowd. Not so many screaming children! Even if the average age is over 55 - that does not mean there won't be anyone your age on the cruise. It just means there may be more older folks then younger ones.
The past April we were on the next to last sailing of the Zenith (11 nights) I am 47. I was one of the younger passengers on the ship. Still had a blast! The pool games were a bit tamer but that's about all that was different then my RCL cruises. You'll have a good time no matter what!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Passenger

Look at the up side of having a older average age on the boat. When you go the the clubs or bars latter at night, they won't be packed because most will be in bed.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTV God
Look at the up side of having a older average age on the boat. When you go the the clubs or bars latter at night, they won't be packed because most will be in bed.
Heck some of those folks 20 years older than us outlasted us just about ever night! :o

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Beginner

I will be on that exact cruise and I am a young 37. I was wondering if you had booked the cruise you had mentioned? I am so excited it would be fun to chat with someone as excited as me about it
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Sorry, we actually ended up not booking on this one....to be honest, there were two reasons...first, we didn't like the way the balconies were set up....look into that one! Also, we didn't like the freestyle crusing because we wanted the traditional dining and that was already waitlisted when we went to book.

So, we booked on the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas for Dec. 2 going to the Western Caribbean (most of the same places) and we don't have to fly because it is in New Jersey, an hour an half away by car. So, sorry, we won't be joning you on that one. But, have a great time!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Beginner

You have a great time too! Congratulations a little early on your wedding!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Look - you never know ! I am - well lets say that I qualify for seniors fare, and I still got sandbagged into the belly flop contest on the Golden Princess.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Passenger

on our first princess cruise last year the average age I would say was about 45 which was great for us being 39 and 41 at the time. More recently we went on a 10 day on the sun and well we were the youngens on board. I was a little disappointed at first but the older crowd was very friendly and there were lots of loungers in the sun (he he he) but it was hard to find a seat in the shade when you got too hot.

Don't stress about the average age, you'll be on your honeymoon and you'll enjoy every moment regardless of how old your fellow passengers are.
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Default Average Age

We have been on a few Princess cruises and have noticed a varied age group on all of them. I have also noticed quite a few honeymooners over the years. You will have a great time on the Emerald.