Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Beginner

Default Travel agent vs. Cruise line

Is it better to book your cruise through Princess or through a travel agent? I am having some issues with my travel agent. Name on cruise documents doesn't match passport. Have tried to work with Princess but they say all problems can only be addressed through my travel agent, who it turns out has not done a very good job. Name was changed once , still not right. Now she is saying they will charge a fee to change it again. Plus there are issues with airline documents and name change, which again can only be taken care of through travel agent. Very frustrated.

php
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

If the TA is not doing the job properly, go up the food chain and talk to a supervisor. If they still will not make it right, transfer your reservation to another TA.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Hi php,

I agree with Irish Shark. If you booked with someone who has a "boss" ask for them.

You can also transfer your booking to Princess. You should let them (or another TA, if that's what you choose) know you want to transfer before you tell your current TA or you may lose your booking . Unfortunately, this won't solve the problem with the air reservation unless you booked Princess air. Call the airline directly to see what your options are to correct the name.

Your TA may charge a cancellation fee (which he/she should have told you about when you booked), so make sure it's worth it before you transfer.
Good luck!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi PHP,

I can understand your frustation. As a travel consultant myself, it is very important to always ask about the correct spelling of names as indicated on the client's passport from the very start. Once the client receives the initial quote, it is important to be sure that the names are correct before making final payment. You should be aware of what the cancelation penalties will be, or change fees will be from both the agent and the cruiseline, or supplier at the time of making your initial deposit.

I suggest that you try to call the owner of the agency to see if something can be done, and if not, call Princess and quickly ask for a supervisor in customer relations. It is possible that you might get some additional help.

There are plenty of agents in the industry that are very experienced and it sounds as though your agent might not be as saavy as expected. Using a good agent has many benefits so don't give up that luxury. Unfortunately, agents like the one you have give other agents in the industry a bad indication of what you really gain from using an agent.

When is your sailing? I wish you good luck!