Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Passenger

a balcony absolutely is worth the money if ... 1. you are a fresh air fiend (it's so nice to prop the door open at night as you sail and get a break from the canned (but clean!) air that circulates thru the ship) ... or if 2. you don't want to have to find a place and jockey for position as you squeeze in on the decks as you sailaway or pass a beautiful sight ... or if 3. you sometimes just want to pretend that the sea is yours alone. the balconies are usually small but a wonderful semi-private oasis (you can hear your neighbors, and sometimes see balconies on the decks below you, but it's still so nice).

you'll love the golden princess. if this is really your first cruise you're setting a high bar for whatever cruises follow. have a wonderful time.
Old August 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Beginner

On a superior-class ship like the Golden P, we opt to save the money and get a regular outside cabin. On larger ships, you can always find an uncrowded spot, either inside or outside, to do whatever you would do on a balcony (well, almost ).

I enjoy sitting in the ship's public areas, though. If you want to read a book, etc., you can get a lot better spot in some nook or cranny, with a huge window and a big room, than your cramped little balcony.

For me this is true for Alaska, Baltic, Mediterranean, etc. Anything you can see from your balcony, you can see better from a public area.

Here are some reasons we might opt for a balcony:

1) It's the only way to get a window that opens, so if the ship's HVAC is not very good or you just want the fresh air, it's the only way to get it.

2) The balcony cabins are larger. Be careful, most lines include the balcony in the square footage so you may be fooled. On some ships, the basic balcony cabin is actually smaller than the standard outside cabin.

3) The ship is crowded or public spaces tend to be lively. The traditional test for this has been 40+ tons per actual passenger. This isn't a problem on Golden (or any Princess ship, afaik).

Some people are crazy for balconies. For me, they are not worth the extra money in general. When I pay for one, it is primarily to get the extra-large window that will open.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is a Balcony worth the extra money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptt
We are cruising on the GOLDEN PRINCESS to the Mexican Riviera. Is a balcony worth the $400-$500 extra. We are new at this and would appreciate your imput. THANKS
Is it that much extra? Usually it is only between $200 and $300 extra and we feel it is worth it. third and fourth person is the same rate as an inisde stateroom so it is only extra for the first two.
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM
First Mate

While we sometimes get a balcony but it all depends to us on how much use we can get from it. On our last cruise to Hawaii in December we couldn't use it all that much because it was to cool & when we were in Hawaii we're off the ship. On a Mexican coast cruise it'll be warmer & you'll get much more use of it. If cost is not a factor, go for it.
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We absolutely love a balcony. However, when we didn't have a balcony, we didn't really miss it. Here's how it goes. If you don't have a balcony, you simply find that you don't stay in your room very much. If you do try a balcony, you will definitely use your room much more. Either way you will have a terrific time. Good luck and have fun!
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Passenger

I have only had inside cabins so far, based on the price. My next cruise on The Coral Princess I went for an obstructed view (to get some light). The next cruise after that on Carnival we have splurged for an aft facing balcony as our 7 year old will be going to bed earlier than us and at least we can still enjoy the evening on our deck. I couldn't imagine putting him to bed at 9ish and sitting in an inside cabin for 3 more hours. The balcony is costing approx $600.00 more but hopefully it will be worth it in the end!
Princess Coral - Sep 2007 Pacific Coastal
Costa Fortuna - Feb 2008 Western Caribbean
Princess Golden - May 2008 Pacific Coastal
Carnival Elation - Dec 2008 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Spirit - Sep 2011 Pacific Coastal
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Default AK & HI Balcony Really Worthwhile

Our travel agent booked us on the side facing the Napali Coast as we left Kauai and we relished the views all afternoon from our balcony. In Alaska, there was so much beautiful scenery and we could relax before dinner, our balcony was a great value. In both locations, during rain, we could still relax on the balcony or with the door open.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Passenger

We love balconies. After our first balcony, we never cruise without one. It makes us feel like the ship is ours. You might be able to get one for less than $500 additional though.
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've had inside, oceanview & balcony. We prefer the balcony. This decision obviously is personal preference. Of course, if DH said let's get an inside cabin and do two cruises a year, I'd say yes in a heartbeat!
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM
Admiral

I'll find out soon myself.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Default Balcony?

My DH and I think a balcony is well worth, of course that is just what we like,
When we first started out we always got a room with a window, but in 1998 we decided to go for a balcony. We really enjoy it in the mornings and later in the evening.

You don't have to get dressed to go outside. I enjoyed it when we passed Cuba around 5:30 am on the way out, watching the lights come on in the islands.
We also sat on it when we would come into port.

slowpoke
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Passenger

NO WAY !!!!

The extra $ 300 + one has to pay for a balcony is in no way worth it. (Unless your life is spent around sitting in you statetoom for 7 days). ?With all the activities, ports of call going on how much time do you really spend in your cabin??????? For us it's no more than about 2 hours during dalignt and only to sleep at nigh 7 hours. Get real!!! spend your money on more realistic things than a balcony.
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Captain

Default Re: Is a Balcony worth the extra money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptt
We are cruising on the GOLDEN PRINCESS to the Mexican Riviera. Is a balcony worth the $400-$500 extra. We are new at this and would appreciate your imput. THANKS
Just my 2 cents worth.
My answer would depend on what time of the year you are sailing. If you are going in the dead of winter, when the days are short, you may find that you are gone when it is daylight and at night it will look blacker than the inside of a cat from your balcony. I would go for the cash savings and use it for tours. Now if you were cruising to Alaska that would be a whole different story and I would always want to have a balcony cabin.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Passenger

I love the balcony. I like to leave the sliding door open at night and listen to the ocean. Walking out in the morning and during the night are also great. We would get room service every moring and sit out there. I love watching the ocean from there. I would spend the extra money.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

8) 8) PERSONALLY I COULD NEVER TRAVEL ON A SHIP AND NOT SEE THE OCEAN FROM MY ROOM... A BALCONY IS AN ADDED EXTRA THAT ONE SHOULD NOT PASS UP IF YOU CAN AFORD IT. OTHERWISE A WINDOW IS A MUST...
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:16 AM
Passenger

Default just returned from 1st ever balcony and WOW!

I arrived to my room to find out that I had been upgraded to a balcony from an oceanview...WOW! Now that I have had one I will NEVER book an inside cabin again. I slept with the door open, saw the moonlight reflecting off the water, saw dolphins, killer whales and enjoyed my morning coffee. Later on it was nice to sit out before dinner and enjoy a cocktail. I am booked in a balcony on my next cruise and now know that the extra $$ will be worth it!
Princess Coral - Sep 2007 Pacific Coastal
Costa Fortuna - Feb 2008 Western Caribbean
Princess Golden - May 2008 Pacific Coastal
Carnival Elation - Dec 2008 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Spirit - Sep 2011 Pacific Coastal
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Beginner

I wouldn't travel any other way. I started out cruising with an oceanview and then upgraded several years ago to outside with veranda and now won't go any other way. It is a great way to start your morning, sitting on the verandah, watching the ship either pull into port and have a cup of coffee or sit on the verandah when the ship leaves port and great way to see the sun set.

We are going to the Mexican Riviera on the Golden Princess on 10/27/07. Haven't been there yet. Have you gone and if so what shouldn't we miss and what should we avoid.