Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Default Is a Balcony worth the extra money?

We are cruising on the GOLDEN PRINCESS to the Mexican Riviera. Is a balcony worth the $400-$500 extra. We are new at this and would appreciate your imput. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

I think a balcony is nice. We prefer the mini-suites as they have more interior space with a slightly smaller balcony.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Beginner

I would reccomend a balcony, They are really nice jsut to sit on sometimes, when you dont want to face other people on the cruise, but want to sit outside, They can be really nice
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Passenger

This is obviously a personal choice.

I wouldn't pay the extra $500. With this your first cruise you probably won't be spending much time in your cabin. We usually don't. And that little time we are there we can't justify the extra $.

Speak to someone on the ship and find out if you can view one of the cabins with a balcony. This may help for next cruise.

Smooth sailing!
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Passenger

We were on The Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera cruise this past Nov, we had an inside room which we got very cheap (for myself, DH and DS age 15) we paid just over $500 each taxes, fees, port charges included.

Our NCL Spirit repositioning LA to Vancouver 2005 was also inside stateroom.

Friends on the Diamond had a Balcony on Baha deck.....VERY NICE!!! Room was slightly larger but LOVED the balcony! Great for pre dinner drinks or morning coffees.

I think if it is only $400-$500 more for both of you then I'd do the balcony, I would splurge. On the way down we saw alot of dolphins playing so close to the ship and to have had a balcony to see them closer would have been magical

Have a great cruise
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

We found that its entirely a personal option. If you want to hang out in your room and not be around the crowds by the main pool, the balcony is a great thing. We love it for relaxing after a long day.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Passenger

We have done inside, window and balcony. I would have to say that the balcony is the best. Just knowing that you can step out and look around with out having to go up to the top deck is great. Also it is nice to be able to open the door and let in the sea breeze. Plus, If it raining, you can sit there and watch and wait for it to stop instead of hudeling under the covvered areas on top with everyone else.

Go for it. Cruising is all about pampering yourself, be it all you can eat or just the freedom of sitting in your own private area.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

THERE ARE A FEW REASONS I WOULD NOT HAVE A BALCONY CABIN:

1. DON'T WANT TO PAY THE EXTRA $500.

2. I LIKE TO HANG OUT WITH MY FELLOW CRUISERS

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON - MY SON SOMETIMES SLEEP WALKS.
THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD BE ABLE TO FALL ASLEEP KNOWING I
HAVE A BALCONY.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Passenger

That is a good point. When we take our 2 children ( 4 and 6) in 2 yrs on a Hawaii cruise we will get a window because it would drive me nuts worring about then out on the balcony.

Without the kids though it isn't even a second thought for the balcony. We were going to do the mini-suite but don't like the fact that they are compleatly exposed to the above cabins. Wife is worried about someone spitting on her.

By the way we are on the Golden in October to the Mexican Riviera too.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Admiral

YES I HAVE A HAWAII CRUISE IN MY AGENDA TOO. MY SON HAS NEVER SLEEP WALKED WHILE ON A CRUISE BUT I'M JUST VERY PARANOID.
WHEN THE KIDS ARE OFF TO COLLEGE THEN I CAN HAVE MY BALCONY!

:o

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
First Mate

I can see the advantage of a balcony on a cruise to Alaska however for the difference in money I can take another cruise and this more important than a balcony that would get very little use.To each is own and you are the only one that will decide whether this is important to the overall cruise experience and by the way we have experienced all with the exception of a suite and that would add other comments to your question.Am happy to be cruising and it sure beats staying at home. Have a good one irregardless of your room selection.
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Passenger

I love balconies. On Mexican riviera cruises I like to get rooms on the lower decks. There is a lot of sea life to view. When cruising with friends we try to get adjoining rooms and open the balcony partitions. Specifically on the Golden, the balconies on the Caribe deck are big. Two regular chairs, a good sized dining height table, and two semi lounge chairs. They have this kind of rubber grid stuff on the floors of the balconies which lessens the noise of moving chairs and keeps the deck free of standing water so you are not tracking it in to the room constantly. I don't think I could ever survive in an inside cabin. I've got to at least know if there is a sunrise or set. Some the best times are coming into port in the early hours before sunrise. I just get out of bed and walk out on the balcony. My wife however complains that I am constantly waking her up. The woman would sleep away her vacation if I let her.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last time we had a balcony on a Caribbean cruise it was about 120 degrees outside with about 160% humididity. I stuck my head outside once and then never opened the balcony doors again. A balcony is nice in Alaska though or possibly going through the Panama Canal. Incidently all the outside cabins are the same size with or without a balcony.
Jim.
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is a Balcony worth the extra money?

dptt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are cruising on the GOLDEN PRINCESS to the Mexican Riviera. Is a balcony worth the $400-$500 extra. We are new at this and would appreciate your imput. THANKS
From my perspective:

>> 1. On every ship on which I have cruised, the promenades provide all of the benefits of a balcony with the added bonus of being closer to the water if you are trying to view marine life. The promenades usually are very quiet places where you can catch an "al fresco" siesta and absolutely NOBODY will bother you. On most ships, the lounges on the promenades are also much nicer than the plastic patio chairs on the balconies.

>> 2. If you save $500 per cruise for three cruises, you'll save about enough to pay for your fourth cruise.

Of course, it would be different if I were planning a cruise for a honeymoon. In that situation, I probably would be planning to spend a lot more time in my cabin than I normally do so I probably would spring for the nicest suite that I could swing....

Your choice.

Norm.
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Passenger

The last two cruises I have been on we have booked a balcony cabin. I really like the balcony cabins because sometimes when you really want to relax in your cabin you can just walk out onto your balcony and see outside or relax on one of the comfortable chairs and just relax. The next cruise to the Southern Caribbean I am also booked in a balcony cabin.
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Default Balconies

While it is nice to have a balcony, you probably won't spend a huge amount of time out there unless you want to get away from the crowds.
We usually get an outside, but have had a balcony when we get a good deal. It is nice to get room service in the morning and sit out and have breakfast on the balcony. For us this usually is the only time we use it for any length of time. Other than that we can just pop out to take a picture or get some air when the DW is primping for dinner. Where we did like it was on an Alaska cruise where fighting for a spot at the rail to take pictures of the glacier is a pain. Also was nice when we went through the Panama Canal.

If you are getting a good deal or money is no object go for it.
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Again IMHO - a balcony is a must for the inside passage on Alaskan cruises. Otherwise it's a $$ thing. A Caribbean cruise will just be looking out at the sea, and in port you may be overlooking a cargo dock or an oil transport site. The promenade deck as said is usually deserted to get a look closer to the water and have some solitude. I love a balcony cabin but the $$ factor is foremost. The last cruise I took I had an interior cabin for the first time. Pitch black with the lights off, and no sense of time of day - BUT - the price I paid made it very worthwhile (close to one-third of the price of a balcony).
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Obviously it depends on your personal values, but here's my take on it:

I believe those who say an inside room is fine because you don't spend much time there are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course you don't spend much time in an inside room. That's because it's a freakin' inside room. It's dark, dank, depressing.

Once you've got a balcony, guess what? You're likely to spend a lot more time in the room and on the balcony. Because it's bright, cheery, altogether pleasant.

Which is why you see so many people who say that they used to get inside rooms but once they got a balcony it's tough to go back.

Darn right.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Passenger

For our first cruise we booked an outside cabin. We spent little time in the cabin and hardly ever looked out the window. At the extra cost for a window for the week I could have bought a new Pella window for my home. We then booked several inside cabin cruises. We spent little time in our cabin, didn't miss the window and had great cruises. We then got a great deal on a balcony cabin on Carnival Legend. We spent a lot of time on the balcony relaxing, reading, having a drink while watching theocean go by. We found that we could also do all the things aroung the ship that we could do when we booked the inside cabins. We have always booked balcony cabins since. Our favorite cabins are Caribe deck balconies on Grand Class ships because they are double size of the regular balconies.
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Passenger

I used to be an inside cabin person exclusively.

Then last year, our group of four couples booked balconies
adjoining each other on the Caribbean Princess.

I will never go back to the dark, inside cabins.

The balconies have doors that can be unlocked to open up the
adjoining balconies if you travel in a group like ours. This was a
blast for evening pre-dinner drinks.

I tend to have a better day if I wake up and see sunlight!!

We did not find that we spent more time in our cabin because of
the balcony, but had a better overall cruise experience!!

KennyG
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Admiral

as you can plainly see its all a matter of opinion. We are balcony people, we just love our balconies, i think that if its in your budget, then go for it. If a balcony is a little more $$ than you want to spend then go for an oceanview.
BTW- kids, balconies & sleepwalking really isn't an issue, the doors are very heavy, a young child could not slide them open, and they have a lock on them for the sleepwalkers.
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

The other tactic which I prefer is to book a BB or BA GTY and hope to get upgraded to a mini-suite. At the very least, you have a great balcony cabin.

Grand Princess 2-2001
Grand Princess 12-2001
Carnival Paradise 3-2002
Carnival Destiny 10-2002
Golden Princess 10-2003
Carnival Legend 6-8-2004
Golden Princess 10-22-2005
Crown Princess 10-27-2006
Crown Princess 9-15-2007
Caribbean Princess 5-2-2010
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Passenger

my first cruise was a balcony cabin and I loved it but we rarely used it. My second was an inside cabin and while its true, you don't have the sun streaming in its hardly dark, dank and depressing (to quote another poster). Turn the lights on and it a perfectly nice room, maybe smaller that a balcony but hey I was on a cruise with my hubby so close was nice () Personally we spent our time on deck, in the pool, at activities or on excursions and returned to our cabin to change clothes, shower or go to bed so for us if having an inside cabin means being able to cruise every year its a no brainer. My advice would be to take a clock because when you wake you have no idea what time it is.

enjoy your cruise!!!!!
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinbuddy
...My advice would be to take a clock because when you wake you have no idea what time it is.

enjoy your cruise!!!!!
Forget the clock. If you're on a cruise, what do you care what time it is?
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Passenger

YES.......YES........& YES.

EVERY SINGLE CRUISE OF OURS IS BALCONIED !

CIAO,
NCL's~PRIDE OF HAWAII~HAWAIIAN ISL's~9/07
OCEANIA's INSIGNIA~more MEDITERRANEAN, part II~6/08
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Passenger

One word, YES!
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Admiral

In another one word answer. YES!! Especially at night It's very romantic. If romance on an ocean cruise with the one you love is not worth the extra money then...........
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Obviously it depends on your personal values, but here's my take on it:

I believe those who say an inside room is fine because you don't spend much time there are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course you don't spend much time in an inside room. That's because it's a freakin' inside room. It's dark, dank, depressing.

Once you've got a balcony, guess what? You're likely to spend a lot more time in the room and on the balcony. Because it's bright, cheery, altogether pleasant.

Which is why you see so many people who say that they used to get inside rooms but once they got a balcony it's tough to go back.

Darn right.
Well, this just illustrates why Baskin-Robbins makes so many flavors. Our first cruise was in a balcony cabin, and the only thing we used the balcony for was drying clothes. I am a social person, so I do not really enjoy anything as much alone. I do, however like the outside with window or porthole.
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Admiral

One more opinion I had cruised the Mexican Riveria and I would get the balcony, because you can get a great picture of the arch in Cabo San Lucas when you pull into port. Yes, you could wake up early get dressed and rush up to deck. But, with a balcony you just hop out of bed and take the picture. For our Mexician Riveria cruise we had a balcony on the Star Princess we were on Aloha deck 12, nice balconies because no one was above us. Here is a picture of the cabo arch.

Hope that helps oh and if you do the sport fishing do your research to see what fish are in season. we spend a lot of time and money on a sportfishing tour to not catch anything and it was partly our fault because we weren't in fishing season.
I'm jealous in no time you will be on the beach. Check out the Cabo beach cam.
http://www.allaboutcabo.com/index.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Is a Balcony worth the extra money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dptt
Having been on 8 cruises both without and with a balcony I definitely prefer a balcony. Especially when going to the Mexican Riviera the weather should be great and you would enjoy sitting out on the balcony with a cup of coffee or a drink.