Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Beginner

Default Condition of the Golden Princess??

I have been reading many different reviews on a half dozen website regarding the Golden Princess. Yikes! I am concerned! Issues have included uncomfortable, worn mattresses, frayed carpeting, dirty balconies, less than happy staff, and an overall old ship that is need of repairs. Is this true??

We are fairly particular about such things and would hate to be disappointed, especially since Princess's reputation claims to be a notch above some of the other cruise lines. We are booked on the Golden Princess in October for the Mexican Riveria. This would be our first time on Princess. We have cruised before, but never on Princess. We booked with Princess due to their reputation, but upon reading reviews about the Golden Princess, we got a little scared...

We have a balcony cabin on the Aloha deck, and noticed in some pictures the HUGE overhang above the balcony. Hmmmm? Is that a good thing or a bad thing??

Please help me out. Cruising costs too much money to be disappointed. I love an immaculate ship with attention to detail and have pretty high standards. Will the Golden Princess deliver?
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Here are a ton of pictures that were posted today. Take a look and see if this meets your expectations.

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575820

We have been on the Golden twice. Not a single issue on both crusies. We had the new bedding and it was fine.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Passenger

We're just off the Golden this past Saturday (June 16). The mattresses were fine, the carpeting looked new in many areas, our mini-suite balcony was spotlessly clean, and the crew was friendly and courteous. The ship may be 6 years old but looks fairly new. They are constantly paint ling, varnishing, replacing, repairing, etc. to keep her in great condition!

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderchicken47

No, none of it is true. Aloha deck. interesting. I just returned last night from an Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess. I have never been on a cruise before. I thought it was great. Balcony is exquisite. I was on the Aloha deck, A219. Room was great, bed was fine. All staff were very friendly. Well organized. The fellow that was assigned to our room, Wilson, could not have been more friendly. Food in buffet was good, seral other options on eating. Dining room meals ranged from excellent to fair. Bernini Dining room was fair, others were very good.
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Can any one tell me if there are DVD or VHS players in the room???
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderchicken47

There are no DVD or VHS Players in the room. There are movies shown on the boat, and several events per day to participate it, bingo for money, acupuncture, etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrwnEyedGirl
Can any one tell me if there are DVD or VHS players in the room???
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Beginner

I would agree that the Golden Princess needs to be refurbished. We've been on it. We were on the Grand a year or so ago and it's about a year older than the Golden. There were holes in the floor in the lounge and only covered over by carpet. My mother fell flat on her face. I did not notice that the staff was an issue, however.
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Admiral

When were you last on the Golden?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sororitychick
I would agree that the Golden Princess needs to be refurbished. We've been on it. We were on the Grand a year or so ago and it's about a year older than the Golden. There were holes in the floor in the lounge and only covered over by carpet. My mother fell flat on her face. I did not notice that the staff was an issue, however.
Gee, hope your mother was OK. The Grand is a different ship. Yes, the Grand may need to be refurbished again since it's been 3 years since the last major refurbishment. But, the Golden is in great shape. Even with rough seas on the first full day off Vancouver Island, I didn't see or hear of any one falling down due to holes in the floor or any other structural abnormalities.

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HITNRUN0305

Were booked on the golden for oct. 6 on aloha deck.