Old June 18th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Default Funky onboard payment question...

This is kind of a strange question, but I've not been able to figure out if this is possible...

The wife and I are taking her father and step mother on the Diamond Princess in September (land and sea package) to Alaska for his birthday; we're footing the bill for pretty much everything (transfers, airfare, cruise, land portion, excursions) and I'd like to cover their gratuities on board as well. I *don't* want to be responsible for any shipboard charges they may make so I don't want to put my credit card on their room.

On other cruise lines, I've been able to buy on-board credit for a given stateroom before leaving for the cruise. Can I do that with Princess or do I need to bring cash and see the purser when we embark? All the docs I have at the moment only talk about ordering formal ware, wine, or celebration stuff.

Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

The daily tips and the shore excusions will go to the folks in that cabin. I would think that you could prepay those in cash and any additional charges would be billed to their cabin.

If they don't put down their own CC on top of your prepayment, I would think that the card would be locked and no additional charges would be allowed.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Funky onboard payment question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhedin
...I'd like to cover their gratuities on board as well...I don't want to put my credit card on their room.

On other cruise lines, I've been able to buy on-board credit for a given stateroom before leaving for the cruise. Can I do that with Princess?...
Yes, you can call Princess and pre-pay your (or their) on-board account for any amount. Then, when they check-in at the pier they just give them their credit card for everything else.

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the info-- I'll try calling Princess directly and see what works out.

rob.