Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Beginner

Default Pacific Princess Alaskan Cruise...has anyone been yet?

Has anyone done the Pacific Alaskan cruise yet? I think it was just starting to sail this month, so it would be new. I'm just wondering about the whole experience as we are scheduled out on it July 11th!! We will have our two daughters 14 &11 yrs. old with us. Since this is a smaller ship, I'm wondering if the passengers are an older crowd and do they really get all glitzed up on formal night on this ship?
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Beginner

So how was it? Did you go?
Has anyone else gone on this?
Very curious. Give us the scoop.
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Beginner

Yes we did go on our trip and it was wonderful! The cruise was the end of our three week vacation. We started out doing a 10 day motorhome trip down the Kenai Penninsula and up to Denali. By the time we got on the ship, we were ready for some pampering. I'm glad I booked the Pacific because of the smaller size ship. There was a mix of age groups: Families with kids, honeymooners, average age of couples probably in their 50's and a small percentage 70's on up. We booked two adjoining rooms for us and our kids...thank goodness, I couldn't imagine all of us in one suite! The kids LOVED the cruise! They went to the kids camp, and even though there weren't tons of kids, they all hung out together breakfast, lunch, dinner and evenings!! I had to insist they have two dinners with us in the dining room. We missed the first formal night which was actually the second night on the ship because I was sea sick. I think quite a few people got sick because I later saw a few wearing those patches behind their ears. That was the day the ship leaves Prince William Sound and enters the open Alaskan Sea . Even though the sea wasn't rough, there was slight rolling and that was enough to throw you off balance. My kids even felt a bit sick and I hear it even happens on the BIG ships on the second day. The dining room food was wonderful. It was two hours of fine dining and great service. Most the service people are from the Phillipines. There are also alot of European families or couples traveling on board. The second formal night was great and most people do get dressed up. The men mainly wear an oxford and tie and jacket, but there were a few guys in plaid shirts and no tie and some in tuxes. My husband informed me on the way to the airport that he forgot to pack his navy blazer!!! I was paranoid we'd get all sorts of stares on formal night, but noone really cares! He wore nice Royal Robbin pants and a wool mock turtleneck and his nice climbing shoes. The girls and I were in black dress pants with nice sweaters. Actually our formal picture looks great with what we were wearing and the photographer was so interested in talking to my husband about his climbing shoes. We may have been a bit underdressed, but it really didn't matter, we looked nice enough and we had also been traveling for 10 days before and were limited on our packing!
The entertainment was good. I loved the Cruise Director named Sammi, she was a doll. The dancers were good and the naturalist and rangers they bring on board are very educational. The scenery is spectacular. Dress in layers like everyone says and get out and experience the cities when at port. We did rock climbing and rapelling in Skagway. In Junea I booked a whale watching trip with Orca Enterprise...SPECTACULAR!! Then we did a helicopter landing on Herbert glacier with Coastal and it was amazing. Orca booked it for us and Junea was my favorite place. We ate lunch at The Twisted Fish. Ketchikan was rainy and we did the Zip line through the rainforest canopy...Scary!! Vancouver was rainy, but we rode bikes around Stanly park any way!! We loved the cruise and the small ship size, I can't imagine being on a ship with 2,000-3,000 people! Also, the Two restaraunts, the steakhouse anfd the Italian were AMAZING! Do try them, it is worth the cover charge!

Hope this overview is helpful for future Pacific Princess cruisers!!
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Thank you so much for review.