Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default Princess Alaska Cruise Advice

Hello. I am planning a one-way Princess 7 day Cruise (Voyage of the Galciers) on the Diamond Princess from Whittier, Alaska to Vancouver the end of 6/08 for 13 adults and 2 children(15 and 12). It will be our first cruise. I am looking at a cabin with a balcony, category BD, on the Baja Deck. For scenery purposes, which side of the ship do I want to be on, and I have no knowledge of decks, cabins, etc? Should I book online with Princess or go through a travel agent? Anything else I should know or be aware of as far as booking cabins, decks, or categories? Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
First Mate

Hi Alan~~
We like to get balcony rooms midship (less motion), on the port side (left side). It depends on your itinerary (ports). and how the ship is docked, or moored. In our experience the best is port.
~~~ MY opinion only~~~
We had adventures in Skagway, and again in Hawaii, which we got to photograph because of a portside cabin.
I also prefer to use a TA because she takes care of everything!!!
And~~she gives us nice onboard gifts.
Good luck.

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Passenger

We just got back from our Alaskan cruise aboard the Sapphire, only we were northbound. We had a starboard aft cabin, per advice from our travel agent so I guess that means that I would recommend the port side for a south bound cruise. We love our cabin and spent a lot of our cruising time on our balcony.
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to spk85215

My girlfriend and I did that same trip a couple of years ago and we were on the starboard (right) side, I did the same debate thing myself. But, I am not sure it really matters, as when you are going in and out of the Glaciers and Fjord areas, you sail in, and then back out so both sides of the ship get the same view. When you are in port, it doesnt seem to matter too much.
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to spk85215

OH, and also, forget the travel agent and book it yourself. The booking agents at Princess were very helpful, at least to me they were.