Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Yeoman

Default docking at St. Thoms

Does the Caribbean Princess normally dock in St. Thomas at a dock other then Haven Site? We saw a her docked way down town when we were there in Oct. We'll be going back in Oct. on the CB and wondered where she'll dock. If it isn't at Haven Site, how close is the other dock to the down town shopping area?
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Princess doesn't dock at Havensight anymore. I forget the name of the new dock. The stores there had not been open for business yet. We had to take a taxi into town, which was a real hassle. The drivers don't want to take you all the way into town, they want to drop you off in the outskirts and it would be very inconvenient to have to walk the busy streets to get into town. We were fortunate to have the Princess Port Shopping rep (forget her title) on the taxi with us. She argued with the driver and eventually convinced him to drop us off at the Post Office in town. We all threatened to get off the taxi if he didn't. Guess he didn't want to lose all that money. This was last fall. Hopefully, the taxi situation has improved. Personally, I liked Havensight better. It was much easier to shop there.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

All Princess ships now dock in Crown Bay. It's really not within walking distance of Havensight (too long, too hot, no sidwalks )! We took a taxi ($4.00pp) to and from the Havensight area and didn't have any problems.

From what I've heard, there are a couple of shops open in Crown Bay, but nothing very interesting.

NanaShrek, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with the taxi . From our experience, that's very unusual.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
NanaShrek, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with the taxi . From our experience, that's very unusual.
That was a first for us too. We've cruised 9 or 10 times and never encountered anything like that before. I hope it's changed since then. I think there was some sort of conflict between the port/taxi drivers at the time we went.

It wouldn't keep me from going back there again.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas - Crown Bay

We were on the Crown Princess in April and we did dock at Crown Bay. There were just a few shops open at that time.

Feel free to check out our website for some photos of Crown Bay.

www.adwalsh.com
Disney Magic 01/01
Disney Wonder 11/01
Sun Princess 04/02
Grand Princess 06/02
Norway 05/03
Disney Wonder 08/03
Diamond Princess 10/04
Caribbean Princess 11/05
Crown Princess 04/07
NCL Star 02/08
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for the answers. Have any of you been there in the last couple of months? Wonder if they are going to make it similar to Havensite.
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Cruise ships call on St. Thomas at the West Indian Company Dock in Havensight, at anchorage in the Charlotte Amalie harbor and at the Crown Bay dock in Subbase.

http://www.crownbay.com/dinghy/directions.html

http://www.crownbay.com/gallery/index.html

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
First Mate

We werte on the CP 7/1-7/8, and docked at Crown Bay. In our opinion, the area is not as picturesque (sp?) as the HavenSite anchorage.

With respect to the new shops, there are a few open, many apparently very recently. When fully occupied, the area will still be smaller than HavenSight, but will have all the majors; e.g. Diamonds International.

We had no issues with the taxi. We were dropped off right near Little Switzerland, and were able to walk to wherever we wished.

But as a side note, the downtown shopping area has, to us, shrunk significantly over the years. Where there were shops on the side streets, and even beyond the post office, they are no more. Not too sure why, but my sense is that with the internet, people may not be relying on St. Thomas as the place they can score some bargains. As well, perhaps the HavenSight mall, and the new one at Crown Bay have also had an impact.

Stiil, it's a nice place to explore, and the alleyways are as quaint as ever.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

princess has a 10 year contract with Crown Bay. Was there on 7/10,few shops are open.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
First Mate

They will have a long way to go to add as many stores as Havensight.Would much rather be at Havensite due to several stores across the street.
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We docked in St. Thomas on July 19. It did dock at Crown Bay and the taxi ride was $4 pp and they dropped us off at "Vendors Flea Market" which is right downtown. Shopping is right there and luckily for us, so was our excursion on the Jollymon.
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

KAWS - Was there anything at the Crown Bay dock yet? Thanks for the cab info. I know right where you are talking about.
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not much at all. A couple of souvenier shops. Mostly it was where you could get a taxi.

BTW with the taxis, they are sort of like little bus/trollies. They will wait until they are filled before they leave. You'll also notice that they are all owned by the same Taxi Association, so even if you get impatient and want to leave faster, you're not going anywhere till it fills up. The only way to bypass that is to walk out of the pier area and grab a cab outside of the port.
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM
First Mate

Like others have said, there's not much in the way of shopping at Crown Bay yet & from the way they've progressed on the past year it might be 10 years or more to approach anything like Havensite. Although we've been to St Thomas so many times that we don't even bother shopping & just usually walk to the downtown shops just for the exercise. It takes about 30-40 minutes depending on how fast you walk. There are sidewalks & a restaurant along the way to town if you need a drink or bathroom but not much else besides gas stations, welding shops, etc. It's definitely not a pretty sight. There is a local Vtran bus that runs around the island but I'm not sure where exactly where they stop near Crown Bay.
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default docking at st thomas

Boy, this is disappointing to hear as we'll be sailing on the crown princess in September. We were in St. thomas last september with NCL and the carribbean princess was docked in front of us. The havensight area was great for quick shopping and there are 2 bars there that sell drinks a heck and I do mean a heck of a lot cheaper than the cruise lines. We stayed at the dockside bar after shopping and had coors light for $2 a bottle. Far cry from almost $6 a bottle on board. Taxi rides were easy to the downtown area for shopping too. Will say for anyone that likes to go under the water we did the submarine excursion and it was fantastic
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
First Mate

kmailler, You can always take one of the open air taxies downtown for some shopping but like I said don't expect much in the Crown Bay area for a while. Princess must have gotten quite a deal on docking fees to have committed to that area for 10 years. I suppose they're counting on passengers not knowing that they dock there until they arrive. In the brochures the exact location isn't mentioned- it's disappointing if you expecting to be at Havensite.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Yeoman

It appears the CB is the only ship that will be docked at St. Thoms while we're there. That will be nice to have a less crowded island to explore. We shouldn't have any trouble finding a cab to anywhere!
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC
kmailler, You can always take one of the open air taxies downtown for some shopping but like I said don't expect much in the Crown Bay area for a while. Princess must have gotten quite a deal on docking fees to have committed to that area for 10 years. I suppose they're counting on passengers not knowing that they dock there until they arrive. In the brochures the exact location isn't mentioned- it's disappointing if you expecting to be at Havensite.
Looking at the docking schedule for St Thomas the Caribbean Princess docks sometime at Havensight and other times at Crown Bay (http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/cr...p_schedule.php)

So it much just be based on availability.

Sean
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Passenger

When we docked and took a cab to charlotte amalie a carnival ship was coming in. It was the only ship there while we were there. They just put a bunch of stores near where we docked and the cabbies were on us like white on rice. It cost us $4 each to go to Charlotte Amalie, another $4 each to go to havensight, and then $5 a piece to go back to the ship. If were were docked at havensight you could walk to Charlotte Amalie. We walked all over Charlotte Amalie so we were beat and it was hot as hell so we did taxis. You multiply $26 by 3,000 passengers.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We docked there in 05 on another line, and the shops looked almost ready to be occupied..I am very suprised to hear that just a few are open.

I might guess, that shops with leases downtown, might have gone with possible lower rents, or given some incentive to move, to the new area.

Lots of the store have shops downtown, and Havensite, and the idea of having to open a 3rd, might have been, just not financially doable.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 16th, 2007, 02:43 AM
First Mate

You still have the price of taxis at either site and there is no difference in either site and based on other ports. This is a mighty small inconvience based on the costs of other ports. Big deal on the shopping which you do downtown with the same prices