Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Default evening wear for teen daughters and mom?

We are 1st time cruisers - going to Alaska. My daughters are 13 & 15. What should they wear for dinner (we have open dining) and evening on the ship? Do other teen girls wear dresses or skirts each night - are capris with a nice top ok? I just have no idea. Are nice capris ok for me to wear on a "smart casual" night? Will we have 1 or 2 formal nights? Thanks so much for all replies!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blond9
We are 1st time cruisers - going to Alaska. My daughters are 13 & 15. What should they wear for dinner (we have open dining) and evening on the ship? Do other teen girls wear dresses or skirts each night - are capris with a nice top ok? I just have no idea. Are nice capris ok for me to wear on a "smart casual" night? Will we have 1 or 2 formal nights? Thanks so much for all replies!!!!!!
Dresses and skirts are not required for casual nights on board. Slacks or nice capris and a fancy or nice top will be fine.

A fancy or formal dress is the correct attire for formal night.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

A nice pant suit would be just fine for formal night, too.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: evening wear for teen daughters and mom?

Blonde9,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Princess's explanation of "smart casual" is exactly the same as the line's explanation of "casual" eveningwear prior to the introduction of the new term. Basically, gents wear a shirt with a collar and slacks and ladies may wear either a sundress or a top with either a skirt or slacks.

On the "formal" evenings, a formal dress -- which may be either a full length evening dress such as a "prom dress" or "bridesmaid's dress" or a formal cocktail dress -- is in order.

And Princess does not prescribe a separate standard of dress for teens, so the teens should wear the same attire as adults. If younger teens have a "party dress" that they would wear to weddings and such, that would be fine for the "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I will echo what the other posters had to say, but I'll add my own suggestion too.
If you and your daughters are anything like me, be sure to bring a light sweater, or wrap, if you're wearing a sleeveless, or light top or sundress.
I always find it chilly in the dining room, and also in the theatre after dinner.

donna
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Passenger

We cruised Alaska on the Coral Princess last month. Although I brought along other slacks for the dining room, I actually wore jeans and a nice shirt or sweater any time we ate there. I hadn't planned on that, but so many others were wearing the same, so I joined in. We were also on the Coral in January in the Caribbean, and the dining room attire was much dressier in the evening. Capris or nice pants would probably be what most females wore in June, but the whole Alaska experience is much more casual and no one seemed to object as long as you don't look sloppy.
Coral Prnicess 6/2007
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Admiral

The dressing stated will be fine. Do bring a wrap or light jacket of some kind though.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Thanks to everyone for their help. I now have a better understanding of what is appropriate for evening wear.

Deb
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Admiral

i can't comment on Alaska but on Princess in the Caribbean at least, the vast majority of teen girls wore capris a cute top and sandals or a cute little skirt with a cute top on casual nights and they really got dressed to the nines on formal nights - prom style gowns, hair make-up the works.
As for the adult ladies most wore long gowns or dressy cocktail dresses on formal nights- this is me, and for casual nights - sun, sheath dress with sandals, nice pair of trousers & a blouse or nice capris with a nice blouse or sweater twin-set
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Passenger

I have been to Alaska twice and was on the Coral Princess in January to the Panamal Canal. For most of the Smart Casual evenings I just wore some nice capris and top.

Crown Princess Future Cruise
Coral Princess 2007
Caribbean Princess 2004
Regal Princess 2003
Dawn Princess 2000
Regal Princess 1999