Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RECON
Default Jewelry purchase onboard

Anyone have any ideas on purhasing jewelry onboard? Does the purhase go on your onboard account or can you use a different credit card? Since we`ve never made a larger jewelry purhase onboard,are the prices good,and what about sales tax? Any advice would help since it`s an anniversary and were considering a gift onboard. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
First Mate

The best info I can pass on to you is that with name brands is to do your homework both on line and in some of the better shopping ports such as St. Maartin and St .Thomas with the former being the better .Based on my experience I found a citizen watch some two hundred dollars cheaper than the ship and this would make me believe the same would hold for other purchases however most cruise lines will honor the same price with written proof.Certainly the assortment on shore will be much larger than the ship in every catagory.There is a saving on the ship but not as much as they would lead you to believe Happy shopping! Yes, you may use your on board account.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Admiral

recon, you can get some decent deals on board if you shop the onboard specials and sales. The selection is limited and they sell-out. The key is to have a good idea of what the item would cost you back home. There is no sales tax. You will find a wider selection on the islands, the better deals will be found at the smaller local merchants as opposed to the larger chain stores, but there is a down side to by from the locals, if something breaks you have no recourse for a replacment or refund, if however you shop the stores that the ship recommends and you register your purchase you have a recourse thru the cruise line if something breaks.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Beginner

There is no reason to buy any jewelry on board unless you are so bored you have nothing better to do. As for in the ports if price is the only reason, you can do better in most big cities. If you want to learn about what you are getting before you go, check out the websites of Fortunoff or google the names of various jewelry lines, like Chariol or John Hardy or lots of others depending on what you want, then you will have an idea of what you want and what you should pay.
No offense to those cruisers from outside the NY area but my friends and I sometimes watch the people overpaying bigtime for the crap they sell on board or in the tourist traps in St Thomas, etc. and crack up. Especially the ones who buy loose stones and think they are getting bargains or they are told that tanzanite is going to run out on this planet and you are getting the last piece on earth. Can I sell you the Statue of Liberty?
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
There is no reason to buy any jewelry on board unless you are so bored you have nothing better to do
I agree absolutely!! Certainly on any "major" jewelry there's no bargains on the ships.
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Familiar Face

I purchased a necklace on my last cruise. It was the gold by the inch. I know that it is not solid gold, but said it came with a life time guarentee. I have had it 5 months, and it looks terrible. Does anyone know how to handle this?
Royal Caribbean 1996
Carnival 2000
Holland 2002
Holland 2004-ooster-east
Holland 2005 veen-west
Holland 2006-Westr-east
Princess 2007-Crown
NCL-Feb. 2008-Sun-west
NCL-Feb.-2009-Spirit
Princess Crown-Mar. 2010-west
Royal Caribbean-Brillance-Oct 2010-Medit
Princess 2012-Crown-South