CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Diamond Princess 9/19 - multiple questions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/336480-diamond-princess-9-19-multiple-questions.html)

PayrollSue July 17th, 2007 10:57 PM

Diamond Princess 9/19 - multiple questions

My husband and I are sailing on the Diamond Princess 9/19/07. We love sailing and have never done anything more then a week. This is 15 nights to Hawaii. I am a little nervous of that many days at sea, 4 each way. I generally do not get seasick but was wondering how the water will be? We also got a mini-suite - D306. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how this cabin is regarding location and whether or not we would have any problems since we are close to the elevators? The view of the volcano leaving Hilo and on to Kona, should we go on deck or will we be able to see it from our balcony which is, I think, on the port side? Thanks for any suggestions! 63 Days to go!!!

Sue

AR July 17th, 2007 11:50 PM

Nobody can tell you what the seas will be like. Chances are they'll be just fine, but oceans are oceans. Some days the water moves around more than others. The Diamond is a big ship with perfectly good stabilizers and can handle ocean motion pretty well.

Not sure what kind of problem you would expect to have with a room near the elevators. On modern ships noise is seldom a problem unless you're on one of those spring break drunk cruises, and you're not. Basically, being near the elevators just means a shorter walk to the elevators.

Any geographic features that you absolutely don't want to miss should be seen from on deck. It's easier just to run up there than to try to figure out where they'll be relative to your balcony.

Fern July 18th, 2007 09:55 PM

Hi Sue,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

D306 looks like a great cabin to me. You're between two passenger decks so it should be quiet. As AR said, I wouldn't worry about any noise from the lifts. It's nice to be so close to them!

Your balcony will be uncovered, but unless you're planning on something "interesting" you should be fine :) .

I'd suggest you bring some Bonine (meclazine) or some ginger tablets for sea sickness "just in case".

Have a wonderful cruise! We're hoping to do this one in 2009 LOL !

PayrollSue July 28th, 2007 07:40 PM

Thanks for the information. My concern about the ocean was due to some reviews from passengers that did this cruise in January/February and said that the first two days were very rough. I have since found out that the seas are much rougher at that time. I am still going to bring some sea sickness preventive with me.

I am really getting excited about going on this trip and have never been to Hawaii or on a cruise this long so it is a wonderful bonus, and the mini-suite is a plus.

I am absolutely hooked on reading the different suggestions and comments and appreciate the input from everyone.

Thanks, Sue