Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Beginner

Default Finished With Princess

We have traveled with Princess 4 times and have had generally good experiences. In the last 2 months they have cancelled 2 trips we had already booked and their customer service in realtion to the cancellations was nonexistent. First cruise was 31 day from Syndey to LA and 2nd was 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver tying into a 7 day cruise. The problem with the 1 day cruise is regulatory but they booked it 6 months ago and we would not have found out about problem if we had not called to add a passenger. Since air reservations were made this caused a problem in getting from Seattle to Vancouver and extending hotel rooms. Princess offered no help. The 31 day cruise was for next March on Sun Princess. We had 3 couples booked and looking forward to a once in a lifetime experience and boom cancelled. Travel agent was notified but their was no effort to contact us or to say we are sorry. We are not sure Princess has a customer service department. We are going with Princess on a 7 day cruise in January only because we are traveling with 4 other couples. That will be our last cruise with them or any Carnival related line. It appears the Carnival mind set has finally gotten to Princess.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Passenger

WOW! This sounds very disappointing!

I'm shocked your travel agent didn't let you know about the regulation about that 1 day cruise! Maybe you need a new travel agent?

Yes, when Princess cancels a cruise they don't usually say they're sorry, apologize, etc. They don't think they've done anything wrong, and doing so may subject them to liability of some sort. They are in compliance with the Passenger Contract, so they just do it and move on. I think they expect us do to the same!

Hope you give Princess another chance, especially after your January cruise.

NEXT UP:
Sapphire Princess - April 2008
Auckland, NZ to Sydney, Australia
Followed by Australian Outback Land Tour
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Finished With Princess

txtraveler46,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The 31 day cruise was for next March on Sun Princess. We had 3 couples booked and looking forward to a once in a lifetime experience and boom cancelled. Travel agent was notified but their was no effort to contact us or to say we are sorry. We are not sure Princess has a customer service department.
When you book through a travel agent, the cruise line sends all correspondence via your travel agent. Your travel agent bears the responsibility to contact you regarding the change and to pass along the information on compensation, etc. This is true on EVERY cruise line.

The cruise lines pay generous commissions, so there is no excuse whatsoever for the failure of a travel agent to fulfill this responsibility in a timely manner. If your travel agent failed to do so, I strongly recommend that you make your future bookings through a different travel agent.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Bummer...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Sorry for the cancelled cruise.Your TA should be the one to let you know when a trip is cancelled.Looks like you need a new TA!
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Beginner

The cruise line will not communicate with you if you booked with a travel agent. We had this problem with Princess and assume other cruise lines are the same way. I may be wrong.
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman
The cruise line will not communicate with you if you booked with a travel agent. We had this problem with Princess and assume other cruise lines are the same way. I may be wrong.
You are absolutely correct. It is the same with all cruise lines "unless" you give them a long story, do some fast talking or escalate it. Even then you may not get anywhere.

In regard to the OP's problem. It sounds more like an agent issue than Princess', though customer service seems to becoming a thing of the past and there are instances where the cruise line does not communicate with the agent but I would wager that the majority of the time the agent is doing a CYA by blaming the cruise line.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Passenger

Sounds like a need for a new TA to me!

De Oppresso Liber - RLTW
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Beginner

Default Push back with your TA

I've sailed mostly with Princess but booked directly with them. An inaugural cruise I had got cancelled. As bummed as we were, they re-booked us & gave us about a $200 credit per person. They also helped with airfare that I didn't book through them. I think you shld get help from the TA. The cruise line chgs similar rates so you know the TA still makes profits.

Every so often, I still buy travel insurance but not from the cruise line; cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry about your hassles.