Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Default Any tips on getting a cabin upgrade?

I was wondering if anybody had any tips on getting a cabin upgrade? I was wondering if checking in earlier then most would help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Martinique Hotel Reviews
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
First Mate

If you book a guarantee in a category that doesn't have many cabins in it, you have a decent chance of an upgrade. For example, on many Princess ships, they will have only 4 cabins of a particular category. If you book a guarantee, you might just get lucky enough to get upgraded. Not a guarantee of an upgrade, but your chances are better than if you book a guarantee in a category that has 100 of that particular category. We booked a BF and were upgraded to a BB. Same applies to other types of cabins, not just balconies. As long as you don't mind where you end up, it's a great way to get more for your money.

Some people say they've gotten an upgrade even when they've booked a particular room. We haven't, but my in-laws got bumped up from an inside to a balcony.

Best advice is to book the lowest category you'd be happy with, because you may end up with it.

Good luck!
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Nana gives you very good advice.

One thing to note is that an upgrade from a BA to a BC is usually just an upgrade from one deck to another. The cabins are virtually identical.

Upgrades from insides to balconies or outsides to suites, while they do occur, rarely do. You will hear about them but they are the exception and not the norm.

I don't say this to be snide, but the best way to get an upgrade is to pay for it or, as Nana said, book a guarantee that you are happy with, and hope for an upgrade.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Passenger

This was great advice

"Best advice is to book the lowest category you'd be happy with, because you may end up with it"

I guess my chances are not that good then since I am booked for category BA

Martinique Hotel Reviews
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Default Thrilled with upgrades!

We were upgraded from a mini-suite to a Penthouse suite on our Alaska cruise on the Diamond. It was wonderful. It seems you stand a better chance for an upgrade if you have booked through a good travel agent. We have received upgrades on every cruise, though not quite to the Penthouse level before.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Admiral

A burnt sacrifice to the fickle upgrade gods is a good move.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Passenger

Do any of you think checking in early will help?

Martinique Hotel Reviews
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Admiral

No, checking in early won't help. Lots of people are in line by 11ish - some are Platinum and get priority boarding - even so you probably won't be on board before 11:30 to noon. BA is quite a good category as t is - you'll be happy with it.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Passenger

How do the differnet categories compare? We are first timers booked in a category AA. Baja deck 219. We booked our cruise/tour through a ta that I don't know....found the information through Travel Zoo. Hope we didn't make a mistake. Could someone please explain the different categories....I have searched and posted questions but haven't received an explanation yet. Thanks!
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

From my experience there is very little difference with a cabin catagory. A inside is all the same, just depends on location for the catagory. Such as near a service door or laundry. Same applies to outside balconies. There almost all the same with the only difference being location. Now there are the "special" rooms that due to ship design may have a extra large balcony. But every ship is different and you got to know the actual cabin number to ask for. All I make sure of is that my room is not over or under a public space such as bar or lounge. Then you get the noise in your room.
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi zta lady!

Have you tried going to the Princess Web Site and looking at the Deck Plans of the ship you will be sailing on?
It is color coded and the deck plans are easy to read.

Happy Sailing
Mark

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009