Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
First Mate

Default American airlines

Has anyone flown American Airlines within the past year? I just read some where that they charge $2 for each piece of luggage that you give them to take care of. Does anyone know if this is true, as I have booked on American Airlines for September.

If this is true , does anyone know if they are doing the same thing with other airlines?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Admiral

News to me if it is true .... Maybe that is the suggested tip if you check at the curb?

Q: What are the baggage limits for domestic travel?

A: For flights wholly within the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and between the United States/U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada, the maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

2 pieces checked and one carry-on
Please note that one carry-on personal item does not count toward the free bag allowance. You may bring up to one bag onboard the aircraft with you, provided it meets Federal Aviation Administration regulations. The FAA mandates that all carry-on items must fit under a seat or in an enclosed storage compartment. Our gate or flight personnel may need to further limit the amount of carry-on baggage for a particular flight depending on the cabin storage capacity of the aircraft type and the expected number of passengers.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Free baggage allowance means free baggage allowance. It is customary to tip $2/bag if you check in at the curb, and this has pretty much become a "charge" at some airports--it is very much expected.

If you take the bags to the counter this tip/charge does not apply. In addition to what Shark said, there are both weight and size limits on the bags you check, otherwise you pay extra. For instance, on AA, the maximum weight per checked bag is 50 pounds. You can easily look up other restrictions about size, allowable pieces, etc. on their website, which is aa.com.

Don't believe everything you read, unless it's from the horse's mouth, which in this case is American's website.

Just curious, if it were true that they were charging $2 per bag, would you change your September plans because of it?
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I think that you have some bad or misinformation. We flew AA in April, no charge for baggage handeling. If you use the porters at the curb then you are expected to tip them and the going rate is $2 per bag.There is a charge if you go over the 50lb weight limit.
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Default Baggage charge

Yes, some airlines are charging $2.00 at the curb to check luggage. I believe the last time we flew United, several mos. ago from Denver, that was the charge.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Thank you all for your response, which I can "clearly" understand, if I am giving my luggage to the porter outside. I was thinking I would have to "lug" my luggage in to get my E/paper ticket, but now that I'm thinking about it, I can check in my luggage, and then go in and get my ticket.

After thought......what if.......I checked in my luggage outside, and something would happen where I could not get my ticket? Would I be able to "retrieve" my luggage before it went on the plane, that is, "if" I was not on the plane?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

I fly an awful lot, and I'm trying to picture what could prevent you from getting a boarding pass if you have an e-ticket (I assume that's what you mean). Well, in any case. . .

1. That would be a rare occurrence to say the least, but if you're worried about it, take your bags into the terminal, go to a self-service kiosk and enter either your PNR (the alpha-numeric code on your e-ticket), or your name and flight number, or just swipe any credit card (it's only interested in it for ID). It will confirm your flight, ask you how many bags you are checking and print and deliver your boarding passes. It will also print your bag tags behind the counter. You then move your bags to the counter, show your picture ID, and they'll tag the bags. No muss, no fuss, no charge. Real easy.

2. If, for some goofy reason, you manage to check your bags and then don't get a boarding pass and/or don't get on the plane, your bags will be pulled off. You won't have to ask. They'll come looking for you. See, checking a bag and then not getting on the plane is considered a suspicious activity. Think about it.

Honestly, you'll have a lot more fun if you stop worrying about every possible "what-if," and just go with the flow. Millions of people check bags and fly every day. It usually works out just fine.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Passenger

We fly ticketless on American almost exclusively.

The skycaps outside the airport will issue your boarding passes at the same time they check in your luggage. Like AR stated, with the post-9/11 restrictions, luggage and the passenger must be checked onto the same flight. They make sure you have a ticket before taking your bags.

Not to worry. We always trust the skycap and have never had a problem. (Knock on wood)

Enjoy your trip!

Carnival Inspiration June 2007 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel
Dawn Princess August 2007 - North to Alaska
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Lacybell/AR, thank you for your response.

Let me see if I have this straight. I know the Skycabs can take my luggage outside and issue tickets, but are they the "actual" boarding tickets/passes, or do I need to get these from the machine that AR had mentioned inside?
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Admiral

They're boarding passes, and they're the "actual" ones. You can do it either at the curb with the skycaps or inside at the machines. And if you don't like the machines, you can also do it inside by standing in line and waiting for an agent who will do it all for you.

If you do it outside, you just go inside and go right to security.

It really will be OK.
Old August 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
First Mate

AR, thank you for that information. I have always gone inside and done the machines, which are a "hassle" to mess with. In fact one time, I thought I was through with what was coming from the machine, and the next person found some of my information after I had left.

I believe I am going to do it the way you mention, by the Skycab/porter outside. That way I can kill two birds (getting my ticket/luggage taken care of) with one stone.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Skycaps are the way to go if they're available. Much quicker and less hassle. Check in at the curb, drop off your bags....and you're on your way to the security gate. We tip the skycap a few dollars a bag for this service.
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Yes, I'm sure you are right, unless you get there too early.

I have had a few flights that were "early" in the morning, and when we arrive, no one was outside. Another bad thing, I always had someone able to help me bring in my luggage, but now you "cannot" park at the curb anymore (unless you go to the parking area), so I have had to drag it in, and then try to get my ticket out of the machine. What a hastle.