Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Beginner

Default Anyone has sailed on Princess & Royal Carib

Has any member here sailed on Royal Caribbean & Princess?

How was Royal Carib compared to Princess?

I noticed Royal Carib pricing seems cheaper. I am trying to do some comparison because I am trying to plan out part of my wedding.

Thanks,
Josh & Janet
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
First Mate

Have been on both recently and either would be a good choice however with wedding involved would choose Princess as RCL RCLappears to be more family oriented.RCL certainly has more activities with ice rink,minature golf ,inline skating rock climbing however Princess appears to have more sedate bars and if you choose Caribbean Princess one of the best entertainers in Bert Stratton.The alternative restaurants certainlybetter on Princess.The movies under the stars a nice touch also and the champagne pyramid a lot of fun.Either choice you will not be disappointed.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Beginner

We have sailed with princess
Innagural Crown Princess
and just this year Caribean Princess out of Ft Lauderdale.
I was just curious because we are trying to book ahead of time but seems like every trip visits St. Thomas which I have already been to twice.

I would want to see new islands like barbados,St Lucia etc..
and we would like to visit Grand Turk Again.

But all aside on the website it seemed that Royal Carib was cheaper then Princess the price differences for the suites are 1200 dollars.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

it is really hard to make a direct, general comparrison. Both lines are very good quality lines. Its like comparing apples to oranges. If it comes down to price and destinations then pick the line that suits your budget and has the ports that you want. The one noticeable difference that we felt between the lines was dining room service, we found Princess to be better than RCL, we found RCL a bit lacking in that department.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

For your particular situation, I would say Princess because it is a bit more adult oriented, and would seem to be a better fit.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Default Princess - definitely

Princess also has a wedding chapel on some of their ships. Plus fresh water swimming pools. And, the food and service is much, much better on Princess. Real fridges - not the mini bars where the ice melts in no time at all.

You have your choice of Traditional early or late dining ... or what they call Anytime dining - meaning you can go "anytime" to the other restaurant where they serve the same food. And, they have Sabatinis and a Grill Room for an extra charge.

If you're doing the eastern Caribbean on practically any line, you'll stop at St. Thomas. Western Caribbean will include Grand Cayman and Cozumel. On a 10 day southern Caribbean, you'll get Aruba and other ports - Emerald Princess (the newest) does this route.

And, Princess sails out of Fort Lauderdale - much nicer port than Miami. Some of the hotels offer free shuttle from the airport and to the ship and some have a free large breakfast. Embassy includes a cocktail party every night, but is expensive. I usually stay at AmeriSuites which is close by (try ValueTrips.com for special rate - or call direct). Both of these hotels are located around 17th Street where there are a lot of restaurants - my favorite is Outback ... next door to Embassy and very close to AmeriSuites. AmeriSuites has also become part of the Hyatt chain and all the suites will have been done over before this November when I stay there again - stayed this past April and it was quite nice.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Passenger

MY WIFE AND I HAVE SAILED ON PRICESS 3 TIMES ON ROYAL 3 TIMES, BOTH HAVE BEEN GREAT. SO I THINK YOU'LL HAVE A GOOD TIME WHICH EVER YOU CHOSE,
HAVE FUN
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
First Mate

Woul guess that Ameri Suites will now go up in price however Nov will still be the best month for pricing.
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Passenger

I've been on two Royal Caribbean ships and will go on my third Princess ship in October (also have sailed Norwegian and Disney twice). Personal preference hands down is Princess. RCL was too crowded. Unless you got to the pool area by 8 a.m. it was difficult to get a lounge chair. There are more activities on the big RCL ships but the movies under the stars on Princess can't be beat. We watched Monday night football and the Michigan -- Ohio St. football game on the BIG screen and it was really fun. They show pretty good movies too.
Princess cabins I felt were bigger and the Caribe deck has the best balconies. Food was better on Princess. We will keep booking Princess but don't know that we'll go back on Royal Caribbean -- it was OK but for us, enjoyed Princess so much more.
Keep checking prices because we have always found decent deals with princess.

Good luck
Anne
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Just a thought for St. Thomas. Have you ever done a catamaran excursion to St. John. Gets you out of St. Thomas and is so much fun. We booked ours through Bolongo Bay -- a resort on the island, you can find them online. It was affordable (about $90 pp) included drinks (all kinds) a great lunch, snorkeling equipment. We just took a taxi there and asked the driver to come back for us at a certain time. Worked out great. It lasted from about 9 a.m. to 3-ish. In fact, we are now considering booking a catamaran cruise with some friends. Super relaxing, lots of fun and beautiful too.
Anne