Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to divegirl84
Default scuba diving in Hawaii or Tahiti?

Has anyone ever been scuba diving in Hawaii and/or Tahiti? I am going on a cruise in November and I am considering scuba diving in Bora Bora. Anyone know anything about it? What sealife I could expect to sea? Any tips?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: scuba diving in Hawaii or Tahiti?

Suggest you check the dive mags and your local dive center. I assume you are certified? You may want an operator reference if not doing a ship dive excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divegirl84
Has anyone ever been scuba diving in Hawaii and/or Tahiti? I am going on a cruise in November and I am considering scuba diving in Bora Bora. Anyone know anything about it? What sealife I could expect to sea? Any tips?

Thanks
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to divegirl84

No, actually, I am not certified. At least, not yet. I have one more class and then two days of certification dives before I am completely scuba certified. However, I will be certified well before I take my trip to Hawaii and Tahiti. I just wanted to know if anyone had been there and when I might expect to see.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Admiral

DG84:

Good idea to be certified prior. I'm looking to dive Hawaii (Maui) so have pulled a local dive pub from one of the local shops. Best book pubs are the Lonely Planet Series (google Lonely Planet Tahiti, google Lonely Planet Hawaii). You may also want to get some fish id cards or Fish Flips (google Fish Flips Hawaii).

As to what to see depends on sites on island. Like land, terrain varies U/W and fish vary with terrain.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by divegirl84
No, actually, I am not certified. At least, not yet. I have one more class and then two days of certification dives before I am completely scuba certified. However, I will be certified well before I take my trip to Hawaii and Tahiti. I just wanted to know if anyone had been there and when I might expect to see.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default French Polynesia diving

The peninsula (Tahiti Nui) of Tahiti has some great reefs, lots of fish varieties including sharks - diving shop in Vairao, see Gilles Jugel, the owner. Also, Bora Bora has beautiful reefs, tons of fish, particularly "friendly" sharks. Some of the best diving spots I have ever seen. Spear one and have the locals cook it for dinner!
Dr. Manarii Tane
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hawaii Scuba

I want to do this dive, our friends did it and came back and said it was the highlight for them Oahu Shark Diving and you are in a cage so you can see but are seperated:-)

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Familiar Face

I doubt that I could convince the Mrs. to go on a shark dive, even with the cage.

RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 – E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 – S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 – E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 – W. Caribbean