Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default carnival victory - AVOID this ship!

quickly, for the benefit of anyone for whom it's not too late - do yourself a favor and avoid this ship. while my heart goes out to the worker bees crew - cabin stewards, food service, etc. carnival needs a wake up call.

my husband, mom and i joined my brother, his wife and their 3 kids for a 6 day nyc-halifax-st john - nyc cruise. we just got off the ship today. this was perhaps my husband and my 40th cruise, but only the second on carnival. i've avoided this line for years but in may decided to do a week on the liberty and found the liberty to be absolutely lovely and effiecient and well, fun. the victory is not the liberty. there is little fun on this victory 'fun ship' and the food is just shy of awful. the scheduling is downright dumb for anyone in second seating. the days are a series of disappointment after disappointment. activities are moved to other locations without notice. it's all just a mess. the exception is the youngest children's center, camp carnival. my youngest niece 4 years old loved this place and it gave her parents some terrific quality time.

this ship is in dire need of leadership, organization and morale. i'm sure the captain, engineer, etc. - those who sail the ship - are doing a fine job BUT the crew with whom you interact as a customer is a deflated bunch, and not particularly service-oriented. three separate individuals told me that they were leaving after their contract was up. working conditions are deplorable. how these people keep smiling is beyond me ... many have stopped smiling. the trip was a total waste of money, absolutely the very worst cruise i've ever taken. i can't imagine that i'd take a chance with a carnival cruise again after this experience.

you know how the crew makes small talk as you interact with them? no fewer than FOUR different staff told me - within minutes and without any questioning on my part - that they would not renew their contracts with carnival, and that the warning flags the public sees are only the tip of the iceberg. there are so many disenchanted, hard working, unappreciated workers. it's heartbreaking. and the cruise director is just plain wierd. he overtalks everything and ends every announcement with a "woo-hoo!"

i know i've been all over the place with this posting - it's still so raw (we got home only 6 hours ago). i just really hoped i could save SOMEBODY a major disappointment regarding their vacation. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Passenger

We made the mistake of sailing on this ship too. WHAT A HORROR SHOW!
that about summs it up. I'll never go Carnival again.
Kate
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Passenger

This is what scares me about Carnival owning Princess. The service is going to suffer. It's sad that most people only look at what the cost is to cruise, but don't consider that the lower the cost, the less the crew gets paid. (Not the cruise line.) The staff is a VERY IMPORTANT part of the experience and if they are unhappy, your cruise experince is going to suffer!! As an example, our last cruise was on a small, older ship that was in need of repair. We turned on the water one day and black water came pouring out of the sink!! But between the waiters, stewards and other crew we came to know on board, they put a smile back on our face in a minute. They would make a point to say "Hello, great to see you!" everyday. We lilke to get to know our steward, waiter, bartender, etc., and you can tell if they are happy with their job. The best way I can describe Carnival is that they are the Walmart of the cruise industry. (Have you ever met a happy Walmart employee?? Not me.) They are looking at the bottom line and forgeting about the people that put the cruise industry on the map.....IT"S CREW! For Carnival, it's all about the price and filling the ship, forget about the service...Our cruise in November will our test for Princess.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Emerald Princess 11.16.07
Maasdam Nov.'05
Dawn Princess Jan.'03
Grand Princess Dec.'02
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Wrong Forum? This is Princess not Carnival.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Yes - BUT they may be one and the same in the very near future !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
Yes - BUT they may be one and the same in the very near future !
As for today, they are not.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Irish Shark is right - Princess is still Princess ... excellent IMO. Fine service and food. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch Carnival - once years ago was enough.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM
First Mate

I also went many years without returning to carnival however they have done a 360 degree change with their larger ships and on Carnival Spirit Joe,s Stone Crabs in their alternative restaurant which are considered the best in the us.This dining room had our own trio playing dance music during dinner.Am only saying this as you need to give them another chance and for the record we have over 35 cruises and never have had a bad one.Beats staying at home.